RS Super Deluxe clunk- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

RS Super Deluxe clunk

I've tried searching this forum and others for similar issues, but haven't come across any relevant info so far. So, why not do the most sensible thing and ask random arm chair mechanics in the internet?

In april I got a bike with a RS super deluxe air rct. Right from the get go the shock felt like it had loose bushings/mounting hardware, only that they weren't loose. Basically this manifested itself as clunking/play that could be heard and felt during trail chatter, mainly in during fast repetitive hits and in the beginning of the stroke. The sensation was caused by something inside the damper. That shock saw two warranty repairs by SRAM in different locations (EWS team support truck and local SRAM service center) but both time "nothing was found to be wrong". Eventually SRAM stated that the shock is no good.

I managed to upgrade the SD air into a SD ultimate coil. Again, same issue. No matter what mounting hardware and which bike or rider it was tested on, the same clunk just kept happening. The shock was replaced by another one, only to again have the same issue. The issue is not bike related, as my bike works fine with any other shock.

So, 3/3 faulty super deluxe shocks for me. I wonder how much internals do they share between SD air and coil? This failure rate seems strange, especially since it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue judging by the lack of similar complaints. Anyone here with similar issues or ideas as to what might be causing this?

-230x65 shock on a 150mm travel frame
    -SD air had bearing mounts, SD coil had normal 1/2" eye with bushings
    -91kg rider, been riding and wrenching since 2001

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That does seem really strange, the air and coil have the same base valves but the piston is different and teh coil has in internal negative spring while the air has a neg spring in the air can

Do you know what the IFP pressure in the reservoir is at?
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I checked the IFP pressure (as propably did SRAM during the two rebuilds) on the SD air and that was not the issue. I didn't check the first SD coil before I sent it back but I'll check the current one once I get the fill adapter tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    250psi, as per SRAM's service guide.

One thing I noticed was that on both SD coils the reservoir end shock eye was noticeably looser than the other one. Not sure if it was so loose that it would cause clunk/play to this extent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    As long as it is snug in there it shouldnt really cause any play

Does the noise vary depending on where the damper is set? ie slow down the rebound or add compression?
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab