RS Revelation RCT3 vs. SID RCT3 29er- Mtbr.com
    SS Pusher Man

RS Revelation RCT3 vs. SID RCT3 29er

Been a while since I have bought a new fork.

My 2011 Reba RLT Ti is getting to be at the end of it's lifespan.

Starting to look at new forks.

Want a 120/130mm fork for my Highball 29er.

Other than weight, is there a mechanical difference between the Revelation and the SID? My understanding is that both run the same Solo Air and RCT3 damper.

Thanks
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Are you XC racing, or is it more of a trail bike for you?

I would get a SID with pushloc remote for XC race. Or perhaps Manitou Marvel Pro with MILO remote, you can easily tune the ABS+ shim stack to do exactly what you want.

But if it's a trail bike, it might be pretty awesome to put a MRP Stage on it. A Pike can be lowered to 130mm also.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Are you XC racing, or is it more of a trail bike for you?

I would get a SID with pushloc remote for XC race. Or perhaps Manitou Marvel Pro with MILO remote, you can easily tune the ABS+ shim stack to do exactly what you want.

But if it's a trail bike, it might be pretty awesome to put a MRP Stage on it. A Pike can be lowered to 130mm also.
    It is a combination of both....singlespeed, but don't need a bar mounted lockout.

I do ride it aggressively, but think a Pike is overkill.

Thanks for the suggestion of other options.....but these are the 2 that I am gonna go with.

mtbr member
    That's cool. I can't answer as to why there is a both a Revelation and SID at 120mm, but I'd get the SID.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a revelation 120mm on my trail bike. Feels very stiff and nicely damped, especially with the ability to tune the air spring with the tokens. I have to think that the SID will no be as stiff as they must be saving the weight somewhere.

mtbr member
    The difference between the SID and Revelation is stiffness, essentially determined by the length of the bushings in the lowers, the amount of overlap between lowers and stanchions and the travel options. Revelation is a better riding for for aggressive stuff. SID is designed to be light first. Revelation is a better fork almost every day of the week.

The stiffer the fork, the better the quality of the suspension, basically. When the fork deflects, you get a certain amount of bushing bind, hindering the action of the suspension. The stiffer chassis of the Revelation will feel better, longer when you are riding aggressively and on longer days.

RCT3 damper is my fave on either fork. Don't discount the Pike either. It's not about travel, but rather quality of suspension. The Pike feels amazing at every travel due to the additional stiffness. You can push it harder into stuff with more confidence, less deflection, better tracking both downhill and up.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    mtnbikej, What did you decide?? It sounds like you are looking for exactly what I am. Hardtail SS that I race occasionally and ride hard that is spec'd for 100mm fork. Also considering the Revelation set to 120 for increased stiffness over SID, also suggested by MK from Trailwerks. A little concerned with change in handling from 100-120. Any thoughts?

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bmuller18 View Post
    mtnbikej, What did you decide?? It sounds like you are looking for exactly what I am. Hardtail SS that I race occasionally and ride hard that is spec'd for 100mm fork. Also considering the Revelation set to 120 for increased stiffness over SID, also suggested by MK from Trailwerks. A little concerned with change in handling from 100-120. Any thoughts?

I actually got the Revelation RCT3 Solo Air 130.....and put it on my wife's Tallboy. Then took her Revealtion RCT3 Dual Air.

I prefer the dual air.....plus it had 20mm Maxle vs. the 15mm on the new fork. I already had the caps to convert her wheel to 15mm....mine I would have had to buy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So how do you like it??? How is the handling with the longer fork? I have narrowed it down to Revelation 120 or Fox TALAS 34 so I can change between 100-130 travel. Do you ever wish for shorter travel/lower geometry, particularly on climbs (or any other times)?

mtbr member
    It sounds like you need a reba, it would fit you perfectly. Its stiffer than a SID and comes in the travel you need. Lighter than a rev, stiffer than a SID, all the right travel.

SS Pusher Man
    So how do you like it??? How is the handling with the longer fork? I have narrowed it down to Revelation 120 or Fox TALAS 34 so I can change between 100-130 travel. Do you ever wish for shorter travel/lower geometry, particularly on climbs (or any other times)?

I ride a Highball SS and really like it with 120mm. Never had an issue climbing with it. Shorter travel would make it too twitchy.

The Fox 34 just sounds like too much fork for my XC bike.