RS MC 3.1 compared to MC3.3 - Differences?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RS MC 3.1 compared to MC3.3 - Differences?

OK I'm looking to upgrade to a shock with some form of lockout and it's between the FOX RP23 and the RS MC3 line. WHat I want to know is what's the difference/improvement of the MC3.3 over the MC3.1 or is there none.

Price wise the RS MC3 line is a lot cheaper ($280-300 compared to around $369) than the FOX so I'm kind of biased to them for price as well as the fact that I like how the Motion Control on my REBA works - and going by helping a friend out with his MC3.1 that it basically works the same way.

Anyone have a chance to ride both the FOX and RS and have a bit of feedback. The nice thing I like about the RS is that it has the Motion Control setting where you can determine "stiffness" using the blow off knob, but then you also have the full on lock-out feature if you want so you can basically tune the middle setting to ride fairly stiff and keep the no MC position for the really rough, bump eating stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    OK I'm looking to upgrade to a shock with some form of lockout and it's between the FOX RP23 and the RS MC3 line. WHat I want to know is what's the difference/improvement of the MC3.3 over the MC3.1 or is there none.

Price wise the RS MC3 line is a lot cheaper ($280-300 compared to around $369) than the FOX so I'm kind of biased to them for price as well as the fact that I like how the Motion Control on my REBA works - and going by helping a friend out with his MC3.1 that it basically works the same way.

Anyone have a chance to ride both the FOX and RS and have a bit of feedback. The nice thing I like about the RS is that it has the Motion Control setting where you can determine "stiffness" using the blow off knob, but then you also have the full on lock-out feature if you want so you can basically tune the middle setting to ride fairly stiff and keep the no MC position for the really rough, bump eating stuff.
    You should go to the Trek board, Lynx... Treks had these shocks from stock this year.

The few reviews I've seen are very mixed, biased to negative.
    Several problems with seals, the negative spring bumper eating some travel should be the problem I've read of for the MC and Pearls.

They seem to work very good while they work, though.
    Difference between the 3.1 and 3.3 is the llever that selects Open, Floodgate and Locked modes; which is on the 3.3 but not on the 3.1. The 3.1 has the Floodgate only.
    Last edited by Warp; 07-14-2006 at 03:30 PM.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply Warp, I'll go wonder in there now. As for the shock I don't think it could be any worse than the damn FloatR that came on my Trance - the thing looses air so damn easy and feels like it's valved for a 140lb person.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

"El Whatever"
    feels like it's valved for a 140lb person.
    Maybe that's why I love it!!!!

(I weigh exaclty 140 pounds )

On the seal issue... just get the seals and get them replaced at home. Unless your frame is badly aligned, a seal swap should do it on a Fox.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    skinny person

As for the seals it would be me doing the replacing of them, since that's not a service anyone offers down here. Can't be as hard as chaning the oil and servicing a fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Maybe that's why I love it!!!!

(I weigh exaclty 140 pounds )

On the seal issue... just get the seals and get them replaced at home. Unless your frame is badly aligned, a seal swap should do it on a Fox.
    Last edited by LyNx; 07-15-2006 at 01:43 PM.

"El Whatever"
    skinny person

As for the seals it would be me doing the replacing of them, since that's not a service anyone offers down here. Can't be as hard as chaning the oil and servicing a fork.

Go for it, dude!!

Let us know how the stuff rides.
    Check my Site

Members who have read this thread: 0