RockShox Totem Solo Air / O-ring problem and missing rebound- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

RockShox Totem Solo Air / O-ring problem and missing rebound

Hey,

Recently I did a full service for my Totem Solo Air with a set of new o-rings for air spring and I also replaced dust/oil seals. The o-rings were actually intact, except for another o-ring which was in the "motin control damper". Of course that o-ring wasn't included in the "air spring" service kit... I didn't want to sacrifice more money for another RS genuine service pack so I measured the old ring and the diameter of the tube where the ring had been. I got this one o-ring from a local seal&bearing shop for ~3$.

After the first rebuild of my fork I got immediately issues with the lockout knob. When I twisted the locking knob to "on" position the fork lost first half of the travel and the remaining half was locked. When releasing the lock, nothing happened. Still half locked! After getting back home I disassembled the fork again. All of the oil from the "motion control" came out from the bottom screw. The upper chamber was basicly dry. OK, I did the oil refilling once more. After my assembly the fork felt good for about 2min when I started to loose the rebound. The rebound doesn't do a thing now, it feels like to have only a spring there. I'll do the dissassembly once more to see how much oil can I found now coming from below.

Here's a link to the exploded view of Totem on pages 86-88:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...ce%20list).pdf

The O-ring I changed is located on top of the "Damped tube", number 12 in the picture. (24 is pointing on the o-ring). The original o-ring was in a very bad shape so I had to measure the diameter from the tube. I got these values and bought the ring according to them: inner diameter 32mm, thickness 2.5mm, oilproof o-ring.

Is there any data available about the absolute correct value of this o-ring? I have my doubts about this o-ring being the cause of my issue but what do the others think?
    I've now spent 100 for the oil and seals from 3 different shops...I would not like to take it to a bike shop for another 50-100 and probably weeeeks of waiting.

Thank you very much for your possible help!

mtbr member
    Seriously, save yourself and do not attempt to measure o-rings yourself, take the original one that came with the fork and take it to a local o-ring supplier and have it sized up properly by referencing the to.

When you have the correct o-ring, use this SRAM video to service the Mission Control (plus rebound ) damper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMN8sM5OHRg

And if need be, the solo air spring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tUUhHR2FbM

Hope it helps

Members who have read this thread: 0