Rockshox Tora what upgrades are there- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Rockshox Tora what upgrades are there

Hello

How far can the Tora shock be upgraded.
    I have a tora and would like to know what I can do with the shock that came on the bike.
    It is on a 29'er tora Tk with medium spring (red), with lock out.
    I would like it smooth on bumps, but not bottom out on dips, and ledges.
    I have look on parts list and other places and found motion control, flow control.
    But I don't know how they affect the motion of the shock.

Thanks for any help.

Do It Yourself
    Tora tk comes with the low end Turnkey damper. You can upgrade your fork to Motion Control (same damping technology as in the high end SID, Reba and Revelation) with this part:

https://www.bti-usa.com/public/item/RS3918

Turnkey is only on or off, nothing in between. Motion Control will allow you to adjust compression and will give a better overall ride.

Here is another thread on the subject:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/motion-control-vs-turnkey-damper-608500.html

I happen to have an extra Tora Motion Control damper as pictured above if you're interested in a deal.
    Long Live Long Rides

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Tora tk comes with the low end Turnkey damper. You can upgrade your fork to Motion Control (same damping technology as in the high end SID, Reba and Revelation) with this part:

Turnkey is only on or off, nothing in between. Motion Control will allow you to adjust compression and will give a better overall ride.

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/motion-control-vs-turnkey-damper-608500.html

I happen to have an extra Tora Motion Control damper as pictured above if you're interested in a deal.
    That is THE upgrade, and a very worthy one

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

If that is the Tora MC damper, it is not really the same as the ones in the SID, Rev, Reba, Pike, etc. Those have adjustable floodgate, the Tora is fixed.

It is still an improvement over the turnkey, though.

Didn't someone figure out that an Argyle MC damper (which has the adjustable floodgate) would fit the Tora?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

thanks

Thanks you for the help.

mtbr member
    Curious, but aren't they all the same diameter, tread pitch and length? AFAIK they all are, so you can just use the Reba/SID MC unit and get the best This has given me an idea to possibly get a Tora as a cheap fork and throw the MC unit out of my old Reba in there since it's the old flexy one and is basically dead with mared stanchions and bushings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Curious, but aren't they all the same diameter, tread pitch and length? .
    No, the steel stanchions have a different internal diameter from the aluminum ones. The Argyle had steel stanchions, which is why the MC unit from it would work on the Tora.

2DK
    2DK
    I just bought a Tora 302 off ebay and ordered the Argyle Motion Damper from modernbike.com. I'll let you know how it goes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DK
    I just bought a Tora 302 off ebay and ordered the Argyle Motion Damper from modernbike.com. I'll let you know how it goes
    Cool. Last time I checked there were no Argyle MoCo dampers in stock anywhere and it looked like RS had stopped making them. Good to know that they're back

I'm curious to try a coil conversion on my 2008 Tora 318 29er to get a feel for coil vs air on the same fork. There don't appear to be separate 29er spring kits. Does this mean the spring kits are universal for 26" and 29" forks and aren't dependent on A2C length, or do I need to dig further and find a Tora 29er coil kit?

edit: RS spare parts diagram doesn't mention 29er length spring kits either. I guess that's a good sign
    edit 2: but that still doesn't make sense to me. The coil shaft length must be related to A2C length??
    edit 3: 26" Tora 130mm is about the same A2C as the 29er Tora 100mm, so I could use that U-Turn spring kit and get a 55-100mm U-Turn setup in my 29er Tora?!
    Last edited by boomn; 03-16-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Cool. Last time I checked there were no Argyle MoCo dampers in stock anywhere and it looked like RS had stopped making them. Good to know that they're back

I'm curious to try a coil conversion on my 2008 Tora 318 29er to get a feel for coil vs air on the same fork. There don't appear to be separate 29er spring kits. Does this mean the spring kits are universal for 26" and 29" forks and aren't dependent on A2C length, or do I need to dig further and find a Tora 29er coil kit?

edit: RS spare parts diagram doesn't mention 29er length spring kits either. I guess that's a good sign
    edit 2: but that still doesn't make sense to me. The coil shaft length must be related to A2C length??
    edit 3: 26" Tora 130mm is about the same A2C as the 29er Tora 100mm, so I could use that U-Turn spring kit and get a 55-100mm U-Turn setup in my 29er Tora?!
    The longer length is simply the lowers (and on older Tora 29er forks the lower shafts). The internals on the 26" and 29" Rock Shox forks are the same, so are the uppers. The 29er Tora is limited to 100mm for sufficient bushing overlap. The travel limit is on the lower shaft so putting a U-Turn (if even possible) would give you 85-100mm, hardly worth the trouble.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The longer length is simply the lowers (and on older Tora 29er forks the lower shafts). The internals on the 26" and 29" Rock Shox forks are the same, so are the uppers. The 29er Tora is limited to 100mm for sufficient bushing overlap. The travel limit is on the lower shaft so putting a U-Turn (if even possible) would give you 85-100mm, hardly worth the trouble.
    Thanks for the explanation. I've done my own service before, but I'm still far from an expert on fork internals. U-turn wasn't actually my goal so I won't bother with that part then. Now I just need to figure out which parts are needed besides the spring kit (which is a little unclear on what it includes)

2DK
    2DK
    Here's the Argyle Motion Damper for $48!!!!!
    http://www.ebikestop.com/argyle_moco...per-FK7152.php

2DK
    2DK

Upgrade complete!

That was the easiest upgrade I've ever done! Unfortunately I have to wait until the weekend to take it out for a true test. The original turnkey lock out damper is a flimsy piece of plastic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rockshox Tora what upgrades are there-motion-d.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So quick question regarding this topic since I just bought a tora today:

Does the Argyle damper in fact work on the tora, and if so is it any better or the same as the MoCo damper designed specifically for the tora?

And... Am I able to use my poploc with the upgraded damper?

2DK
    2DK
    The Argyle MCD is a PERFECT fit in the Tora and the MCD for the Argyle has RS Flood Gate (allows oil to flow under pressure).

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Huww
    And... Am I able to use my poploc with the upgraded damper?
    There is a different damper for use with remote poplocks, the top of the dampers are slightly different. I am pretty sure they do not make a remote version for the Argyle (remote lock-outs are not something most dirt jumpers care about).

So in short, no.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DK View Post
    That was the easiest upgrade I've ever done! Unfortunately I have to wait until the weekend to take it out for a true test. The original turnkey lock out damper is a flimsy piece of plastic
    Which Argyle MoCo did you use? The RS spare parts catalog has two MoCo's... I'm assuming the 11.4015.017.000 is the correct one to use for this mod.

So have you put some miles on it? How is it? Still a worthwhile mod?
    I'm hungry

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post

i had this installed on my tora with no complaints so far after a few years. i'm thinking about changing over to a rigid but since you guys talk so highly about it, maybe i should reconsider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mungry View Post
    Which Argyle MoCo did you use? The RS spare parts catalog has two MoCo's... I'm assuming the 11.4015.017.000 is the correct one to use for this mod.

So have you put some miles on it? How is it? Still a worthwhile mod?
    I'm pretty sure the 11.4015.017.000 damper does not have the externally adjustable floodgate.

I may be wrong . . . looking for this upgrade for a Tora on my gf's bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the RockShox Tora TK 29 100mm is this something I can do to mine shock as well? How do you go about doing an install/replacement for this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Glad I came across this thread as I'm in the process of looking at options to upgrade from the Dart 3 that came on my Marlin.

If I understand what I've read in here so far:

1. Opting for an Argyle moco damper on the Tora TK gains the advantage of the flood gate, but loses the advantage of remote poploc.

2. Opting for a Tora moco damper on the Tora TK keeps the advantage of remote poploc, but does not get the flood gate.

Am I correct on this, or is there any way to get the best of both worlds (i.e. flood gate + remote poploc)?

And one other question that has probably come up already. Would one of these Tora TK + moco damper setups be better than a Recon Silver TK Air? Is there any similar upgrade that can be done to the Recon?

Thanks for the knowlege.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ccarbot View Post
    Glad I came across this thread as I'm in the process of looking at options to upgrade from the Dart 3 that came on my Marlin.

If I understand what I've read in here so far:

1. Opting for an Argyle moco damper on the Tora TK gains the advantage of the flood gate, but loses the advantage of remote poploc.

2. Opting for a Tora moco damper on the Tora TK keeps the advantage of remote poploc, but does not get the flood gate.

Am I correct on this, or is there any way to get the best of both worlds (i.e. flood gate + remote poploc)?

And one other question that has probably come up already. Would one of these Tora TK + moco damper setups be better than a Recon Silver TK Air? Is there any similar upgrade that can be done to the Recon?

Thanks for the knowlege.
    If the Argyle damper fits (I have not read through this thread completely), then I would go with it, it is a no-brainer, IMO. Having the FG ddjustment is key to getting most out of this damper. You still have the ability to lock it out (if you set it up that way), it's just on the top of the fork.

mtbr member
    glad to see this info, just picked up some Tora's and didn't know what upgrades could be done to them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just got back from the shop after having the Argyle moco 11.4015.017.000 and a firm/blue 100mm spring installed on my 2011 Tora TK 29er. Even with the short ride home I could feel a huge difference, much better. Hopefully I'll get out to Kettle Moraine soon and put it through a real test. Shop had to order the spring for me, I couldn't find it anywhere, but I got the moco from Tree Fort Bikes. They price matched another site so the total with shipping was only about $57.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Upgrades

I have found there are several upgrades for the tora shock, some are just bolt on and go, others require small mods. I put a motion control on it, with pop lock control on the handle bar, then changed out the red spring for a U-turn control with a firm spring. The Motion control was easy, just ordered and swapped it out, added oil, the U turn spring was a little different. Remember to order the aluminum flip knob others break easy, You have to take the shock apart and remove the plastic piece at the bottom of the chrome shock tube that guides the aluminum rod, the new rod is just a little bit bigger, .030" drilled it out to fit, put everything back together and it's a go. If you think about replacing the spring, you may want to do this, remember though, the motion control and new spring cost me 180 dollars you may want to find a air shock with motion control on it, and spend the money that way.
    I hope this helped.
    Also you can see some of the pictures of my bike and shock under the Jamis site, Exile II
    Charlie

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did the Argyle MoCo and have had no problems with it at all. The shock feels stiffer with more control-ability I would say. Well worth the minimal investment.

Bike Geek

recon tk?

Is that the same damper one would use to convert a 2011 Recon Silver TK with the steel stanchions?
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalruckus View Post
    Is that the same damper one would use to convert a 2011 Recon Silver TK with the steel stanchions?
    If you find out that the argyle dampener works on a 2011 Recon Silver TK, I'd be interested in knowing.

mtbr member
    I just installed an argyle dampener into my recon silver 2011 solo air. Fit perfectly and compression works great. Haven't played with the flood gate however
    Not only is my short term memory horrible, but so is my short term memory.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Pike uppers with a dual flow rebound damper and a BB MC damper /thread

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I know this is an older thread, but anyone know where I can find a firm or extra firm spring for the Tora TK? It seems to be backordered/ out of stock everywhere online I can think to look. I like the ride of this economy fork ok, but I bottom the stock medium spring too easily.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlydave View Post
    I know this is an older thread, but anyone know where I can find a firm or extra firm spring for the Tora TK? It seems to be backordered/ out of stock everywhere online I can think to look.
    Petra Cycles has the following listed as available.

2009 Tora Coil Spring/Spacer 80/100mm Firm Blue
    2009 Tora Coil Spring/Spacer 80/100mm X-Firm Black
    2009 Tora Coil Spring/Spacer 120mm Firm Blue
    2009 Tora Coil Spring/Spacer 120mm X-Firm Black
    2010 Tora Coil/Shaft Assy 80mm Firm Blue
    2010 Tora Coil/Shaft Assy 80mm X-Firm Black
    2010 Tora Coil/Shaft Assy 100mm Firm Blue
    2010 Tora Coil/Shaft Assy 100mm X-Firm Black
    2010 Tora Coil/Shaft Assy 120mm Firm Blue
    2010 Tora Coil/Shaft Assy 120mm X-Firm Black

Universal Cycles has the 80/100mm firm, 80/100mm x-firm and 120mm firm for the 2009 Toras but none for the 2010 Toras.

Rock Shox Tora Tuning Spring Kits

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: Rockshox Tora what upgrades are there

Anyone know about this motion control or spring firmness upgrades for a 2011 tora tk 29?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Scott scale team 29er
    Easton Haven Carbon bars
    Odi lock on rogue grips

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi Guys,
    Just came across this thread.
    Just picked up a 2011 Jamis with a Tora TK, and I am looking to upgrade from stock.
    Now, seeing as it is now 2013, the available RS parts has changed, From what I understand, the MoCo unit for the Argyle is the way to go as it has the Floodgate tech. The LBS that I have a line through orders through cycleslambert - bearing that I know exactly the parts i need - he will expedite an order for me. My issue is that the MoCo for the Argyle listed there are for the ALU upper tubes only. Would i be correct to assume that the Argyle has moved from a steel to alu construction? or will the MoCo unit still work for my 2011 Tora TK?

Thanks,

Any other suggestions would be welcome as well (i.e. justifying moving to the Tora MoCo if the Argyle is unavailable/inaccessible)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think there's a coil and a air argyle-2 different dampers.I'm gonna be looking for one for a 2011 Recon Silver solo air soon.I just wish there was a remote cap to run a remote moco for the argyle moco.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Looking at the cycleslambert catalog and the sram/RS spare parts list for the argyle there are two different part #'s. 11.4015.017.000 is for the steel upper dampener and 11.4015.507.010 is for the aluminum uppers.

With that in mind, it is the steel upper p/n 11.4015.017.000 MoCo unit i would want for my 2011 Tora TK 26"?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 403Rider View Post
    Looking at the cycleslambert catalog and the sram/RS spare parts list for the argyle there are two different part #'s. 11.4015.017.000 is for the steel upper dampener and 11.4015.507.010 is for the aluminum uppers.

With that in mind, it is the steel upper p/n 11.4015.017.000 MoCo unit i would want for my 2011 Tora TK 26"?
    Prolly is if I remember right.There are a few on ebay I think.

argyle fork in Sporting Goods | eBay
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Also, in regards to doing this swap. I would only need the moco unit for the switch right? Nothing else needs to be added?

As well, to any Tora TK owners, I find it to be a little soft (6'2", 220 lbs w/ gear) would I just need to replace the UTurn Spring assembly to stiffen that up? and if what wuld you recommend: firm(blue) or X-Firm (black)?

I'm new to this so thanks for the replies and the patience guys.
    Cheers

EDIT:
    AND if anyone knows whether this unit is compatible w/ a remote that would be great as well.
    Last edited by 403Rider; 04-24-2013 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by 403Rider View Post
    Also, in regards to doing this swap. I would only need the moco unit for the switch right? Nothing else needs to be added?

As well, to any Tora TK owners, I find it to be a little soft (6'2", 220 lbs w/ gear) would I just need to replace the UTurn Spring assembly to stiffen that up? and if what wuld you recommend: firm(blue) or X-Firm (black)?

I'm new to this so thanks for the replies and the patience guys.
    Cheers

EDIT:
    AND if anyone knows whether this unit is compatible w/ a remote that would be great as well.
    I'm about to do the Argyle MoCo damper swap to my ToraSL. After having read every thread I can find (see #22 in this post on this issue), I think I can say the only way to get a remote on a Tora is to use a damper made for a remote. The Argyle damper is not. There was an upgrade kit RS used to sell - but I couldn't find it anywhere - model: 11.4311.389.000. It would give MoCo and remote lockout, but the loss would be no adjustable floodgate (which most folks here think is more important). If you find out otherwise I'd be happy to be wrong.

As for your other questions, I think all you need for the damper swap is the unit and oil (5wt). For your spring I'm not sure what you are riding. My ToraSL TK on a 09 Rockhopper comes with a "stiff spring" (per Specialized webpage), which I presume = the firm one. You might be able to find out what you are running currently to from manufacturer specs to see what the next firmness up would be.

Members who have read this thread: 1