Rockshox Tora 318 Air - Adjustable Travel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rockshox Tora 318 Air - Adjustable Travel?

I recently purchased a bike with a 29" Tora 318 Solo Air with 80mm travel. I've heard that the travel can be adjusted to 100-135mm, but couldn't find any instructions to do this. I'm assuming I'll have to add/remove some spacers. Does anyone know if this is true, or if there is a guide somewhere?

Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    The 29er can only be adjusted to 100mm max (the 26er version can go to 130mm), you just need to remove the Solo Air cartridge and remove the 20mm spacer on the air shaft. You do not need to remove the lowers to do this.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...ce%20Guide.pdf

mtbr member
    Awesome-cross, thanks! Not sure if I'll want to go all the way to 100mm with the 29er, but it just seems like the standard and the kind of travel I'm used to.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Awesome-cross, thanks! Not sure if I'll want to go all the way to 100mm with the 29er, but it just seems like the standard and the kind of travel I'm used to.
    My 29er Tora came stock 100mm and I ran it for a while on my frame that was supposedly designed for a 100mm fork. However, it seemed to wander a little too much on the climbs and suffered from the dreaded 29er wheel flop on tight technical trails. I put the spacer in and have never looked back, I don't feel I have sacrificed much if any downhill performance and the uphill and tight singletrack performance has increase alot. However, my Tora is a 2008 which has a short (for 29ers) 38mm offset. It would be interesting if I had a 46mm offset Tora (2009 and beyond) if it would do just fine with the 100mm travel.

mtbr member
    I ordered a BD bike, so I'm not sure what the fork offset is. The fork advertised is the Tora 318 Solo Air 29", but doesn't mention offset. How is that measured BTW? Middle of stem tube to middle of fork tube?

Former Bike Wrench
    I ordered a BD bike, so I'm not sure what the fork offset is. The fork advertised is the Tora 318 Solo Air 29", but doesn't mention offset. How is that measured BTW? Middle of stem tube to middle of fork tube?
    Well that is where I got mine (on a Windsor) and it was a 2008 as well. In fact I believe 2008 was the last year they were labeled Tora 318 Solo Air...the 2009 Tora 29er fork was the Race. So it is likely it is the 38mm offset fork.

Mine came set at 100mm even though it said 80mm on the webpage (measure the seal to crown height on the stanchion, it will come out at about the TRAVEL + 10MM). I knocked it down to 80mm and liked it better on the Windsor. I then swapped frames for a Performance Access XCL 9er to get a little better fit. The frame was listed as 71* headtube and 72.5* seat tube angles with 100mm fork so I again changed the angles. I had the same issue as on the Windsor. Set it back to 80mm and haven't looked back. The 29er tires rolls so well over everything that the extra 20mm of travel really wasn't missed.

mtbr member
    Good info, and that's a nice looking frame. Did you ever do a build thread when you swapped over parts to the Access?

Former Bike Wrench
    Good info, and that's a nice looking frame. Did you ever do a build thread when you swapped over parts to the Access?
    The 29er forum already had a Access thread that I posted my build on

mtbr member
    Just as an update, I inquired about the Cliff29er Tora shock, and this is what BD had to say:

-----Original Message-----
    To: '[email protected]' <[email protected]>
    Sent: Mon, Apr 5, 2010 2:08 pm
    Subject: Cliff 29er Pro Questions
    I am interested in your Cliff 29er Pro, but wanted to get some information about a couple components:

1. The fork mentioned is “NEW Rock Shox Tora 318 Air 29" w/Turn Key LockOut and 80mm Travel”. What year model is that, and what is the fork offset?
    2. For a 17” frame what is the length of the Truvativ 5d crank arms?

Thank you,
    BD response:
    Hello,

1) The fork is 2009 spec, same as the bike. 47mm

2) 175mm

Thanks,
    Chris

Former Bike Wrench
    First off, while I'm not a BD basher (I did buy a bike from them), they tend to be somewhat clueless. They list the fork on the Windsor Pro as having Turn Key Lockout which the Tora 318 Solo does not have (as it has the much better Motion Control). Second, Rock Shox did not make the 318 in a 29er version for 2009...the Tora Race was the only 29er Tora for 2009 (which has a 46mm offset). And finally, the Windsor Pro in the picture has not changed since I purchased the bike in mid-2008 and the fork shown is clearly a 2008 Tora based on the graphics. If your Tora matches the fork shown in the picture, you have a 2008 with a 39mm (I had said 38mm earlier, I was off 1mm) offset.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Haha, OK interesting. Well, I'll be sure to post pics and look at part number when I get the bike.

mtbr member
    If it does arrive with the 2008 fork, rather than this one that is on the site: "NEW Rock Shox Tora 318 Air 29" w/Turn Key LockOut and 80mm Travel". Should I complain and ask for a replacement? Is it a better/worse/no difference fork?

I bet it's probably the fork shown in this picture of the Fuji Tahoe 29er Pro. Everything else on this bike is identical, down to the VP headset and "bonus" clipless pedals.
    2009 Fuji Tahoe Pro
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 04-06-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well, despite the listing that Performance (and Fuji) gives...that is a Tora Race 29er fork. Maybe they spec'd them before Rock Shox officially changed the name, who knows. Anyway, the 2009 fork is identical to the 2008 EXCEPT having the 46mm offset. And yes, the Windsor and the Fuji are almost the same bike. That is because it is made by Ideal which is the majority owner of Fuji. The down tubes are different but otherwise the bikes are the same.

2009 Tora Race 29er

Members who have read this thread: 0