RockShox Reba RL vs. RockShox Recon Silver TK- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

RockShox Reba RL vs. RockShox Recon Silver TK

Could somebody give me the lowdown (in layman's terms) about the differences in these two forks? I'm narrowing down my next 29er hardtail to two choices, and one of the main differences in components is the front fork. I'm a XC rider with a smidge of downhill thrown in. If one of these is significantly better than the other, it will go a long way to helping me make up my mind. Thanks for the advice, J

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Reba > Recon

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    The Recon is a good fork, but the Reba is a great fork.

The main differences are in the stanchoins (Recon Silver = steel; Reba = Aluminum alloy), weight (Reba is more than a pound lighter), spring (Recon uses either a coil spring or a single chamber cartridge-like air spring, while Reba uses a larger and more complex air spring system with two air chambers that provides less bouncy and more tunable performance) and rebound damper (that's the hydraulic shock contained within the right stanchion of the fork, and is the main thing that makes a fork different from a pogo stick -- Reba uses the "motion control" version which is more advanced and more adjustable). If the bikes are otherwise comparable in your view, the Reba is major plus over the Recon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The Recon Silver is very heavy, the Recon gold is much lighter and then the Reba is lighter still and has a lot more adjustments you can make

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the info guys! The bike with the Reba is substantially more expensive, but I might look into seeing if I can do an upgrade from the LBS to the Reba on the less expensive bike since I'm pretty good with all the other components. Realistically, I'll probably just save up for a few more months for the more expensive ride. Thanks!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Aside from anything else, the Reba has a much better damper than the Recon. That alone is well worth the extra money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was looking at the same 2 forks, good to eliminate the Recon

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You can get ahold of brand new Reba's for around $500 online. The Recon silver will sell on eBay for $150 no problem.

So basically to upgrade is $350 .. is the bike that much more? That's how I'd break the difference down.

Master of Disaster
    I'm not at all fond of Turn Key dampening vs the far superior Motion Control dampening in RS's better forks. Chalk vs cheese if you ask me.
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

Members who have read this thread: 21