Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair 130mm WEIRD quirk? o.O- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair 130mm WEIRD quirk? o.O

I have a Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair on my brand new bike (first FS bike), and I noticed a creak every time I would depress the rear shock. I thought huh that's weird, the pivots must need to be regreased (or greased for that matter).

So I took apart the linkage and the shock pivots and there was almost NO grease in the pivots. I greased them all up and put it back together, but I must have misaligned the shock when putting it back together because I could not compress the pumped up shock at all even while sitting on the bike.

I took it back apart and realized there was also a ton of lube on the stanchion, so the first thing I did was wipe it off (my mistake) and then I tried to reassemble. Before reassembly, I also wanted to make sure I didn't break the shock from sitting on it while it wasn't on correctly before and I couldn't compress the thing. I thought for sure I broke it. Turns out after putting a TON of force to compress it a few times, it started to compress easier once there was a film of lube on the stanchion. I decided to add a little bit of silicone to it and in no time it was compressing like it had originally.

I finally reassembled it, but this is where the WEIRD thing happens. It wouldn't compress smoothly at first, but after compressing the shock and getting more lube on the stanchion, it returned to normal. However, I used to run my shock at 150psi for exactly 30% sag on the dot. After taking the linkage apart and putting it back together, I have to have 160psi for exactly 30% sag on the dot. Nothing changed on the shock. It's working perfectly now, but I find it so strange I have to have 10psi more than before to get the same sag %. No I didn't gain or lose weight (I weighed myself before and now), and I am also setting it up the exact same as I did before (same gear on). Does anyone know what happened?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Did you release the air from the shock prior to it having issues compressing?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yes. There was 0 air in the shock during every time when it wouldn't compress. At first, it was because it wasn't aligned on the bike properly, so it simply couldn't compress (0 air in shock). The second time was because there was no lube on on the stanchion and it was just hard to compress (0 air in shock). Now it works like a charm but I have to have 10 extra psi for the same sag %. o.O

J:
    The chambers might need to be equalized while pumping or deflating those air shocks, every ~ 10-15 psi to make it easier
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    The chambers might need to be equalized while pumping or deflating those air shocks, every ~ 10-15 psi to make it easier
    This, there is quite a bit of resistance when equalizing the positive and negative Chambers, that's why I Was asking if you took the air out of the shock. After the initial equalizing (which may take pushing down pretty hard) it will be much easier to move into the travel. I have never seen a newer shock who's travel was prevented from pure stiction.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    I think this is it. I didn't equalize it every so often while pumping it up, so it needed more PSI for the same sag as a result. I'll have to equalize it before I ride it on the trails! Thanks guys!