ROCKSHOX LYRIK RC SOLO AIR upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

ROCKSHOX LYRIK RC SOLO AIR upgrade

I am looking to upgrade my Lyrik. Just doesnt feel that great dives alot in berms and no pop off of anything.
    So my question is if I buy the Mission control or Dh damper and rebound damper what else do I need? Oil (wt), new seals/dust covers etc? This would be my first fork rebuild. I may end up having it done but I would like to do it myself.
    I ride pretty aggressive AM, with pedaling to get there. I think I will probably go with the DH damper, I assume it pedals pretty well.
    I have seen alot of threads about this but not about what all I need before I break into it.

Thanks

mtbr member

I'm a bit confused with your post and thread title. What exactly are you wanting to upgrade? Do you currently have the solo air version? Do you want to upgrade the damper? Which damper do you currently have? Are you wanting to service the entire shock?

Servicing a RS shock is relatively easy. There are a few common tools you'll need. A bike stand helps, too. You'll also need as service kit if you're planning on servicing the shock (recommended to be done once a year). SRAM has some great YouTube video tutorials that give you 99% of what you need to know. SRAMs website has service manuals that will give you detailed "how-to's". If you're mechanically inclined, you can handle the job. If you've never done something as simple as changing the oil in your car (oil filter included), send your shock in.

Also, there are oil charts available in the tech doc that will tell you what weight oil and quantity you'll need. It will be 5wt and/or 15wt shock oil. Save yourself some money and buy Maxima motorcycle shock oil instead of the self branded RS stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Also, found this info that may be of use to you...

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/technical...-mod-2010.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok, what I meant was. I have the rockshox solo air and want to upgrade the damper. I currently have the motion control IS damper in it. So I'm wanting to upgrade to either the Mission Control Comp or the DH damper, but as I have read I think I also need to upgrade the rebound. Since the fork is due for service, I figured I would do everything while I was in there. So may question was do what parts would be needed. Do I just need the dust seals/oil seals? I see there are air service kits but looks like alot of stuff I probably dont need.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gwayms View Post
    Ok, what I meant was. I have the rockshox solo air and want to upgrade the damper. I currently have the motion control IS damper in it. So I'm wanting to upgrade to either the Mission Control Comp or the DH damper, but as I have read I think I also need to upgrade the rebound. Since the fork is due for service, I figured I would do everything while I was in there. So may question was do what parts would be needed. Do I just need the dust seals/oil seals? I see there are air service kits but looks like alot of stuff I probably dont need.

Thanks
    Gotcha. I can't answer your question regarding needing to change out the rebound assembly when you upgrade to a Mission Control damper. A quick call to SRAM would be able to answer your question there.

What I can answer is if the damper is all that is needed to be replaced (motion control upgraded to a Mission Control or DH damper), it's as simple as buying the damper, pulling the old one out and putting the new one in. You don't need to remove the oil or replace seals. It's just a straight swap. That's how it's done on Recons and Rebas. Just not entirely sure if you need to change the rebound assembly in your case. With that said, if you haven't serviced your fork in over a year, it's probably a good time to get it serviced. If it's been serviced within the last year, just changing out the damper (and maybe rebound assembly?) is all that is needed.

If you're going to service your bike, there is a kit that should include all needed o-rings and wipers to do the job. The more extensive kits are, like you said, usually not needed. I am having a hard time finding the Lyric basic kit. The one listed online seems REALLY basic and appears to be for a coil spring setup. Again, a quick call to SRAM would get you the right kit part number you're looking for. Solo air assemblies have a few more o-rings that will need to be replaced if you're doing a full service on it. So it would be best to track down the right kit for the job. Don't forget to buy some oil if you go the service route! Also, check out the technical manuals on SRAM's website. It'll tell you everything you need aside from the service kit.

mtbr member
    Oků I MAY have tracked down the right service kit for you:

RockShox Part #: 00.4315.032.100
    UPC: 710845684371

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks man, I think thats it. I owe you a beer.

mtbr member
    Yes, you need the rebound damper - it eliminates the entire internal assembly and uses the insides of the stanchion instead so the piston head is larger and you use more oil which then matches the larger oil flow of the DH compression damper. Highly recommend the RS/Sram 5 wt. damper oil. Only one better is Redline but that's hard to find. I did not bother with the damper seal kit as all of mine were in good shape. It's a good idea to rebuild the air assembly though if you're going to have the fork apart anyway - there is a kit for that too. Make sure you use some slick honey on the air piston INSTEAD of their recommendation of floating oil on top of piston because the oil just gets pushed thru to the negative chamber on big hits.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Yes, you need the rebound damper - it eliminates the entire internal assembly and uses the insides of the stanchion instead so the piston head is larger and you use more oil which then matches the larger oil flow of the DH compression damper. Highly recommend the RS/Sram 5 wt. damper oil. Only one better is Redline but that's hard to find. I did not bother with the damper seal kit as all of mine were in good shape. It's a good idea to rebuild the air assembly though if you're going to have the fork apart anyway - there is a kit for that too. Make sure you use some slick honey on the air piston INSTEAD of their recommendation of floating oil on top of piston because the oil just gets pushed thru to the negative chamber on big hits.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Awesome! The info to the missing link in this thread. G MAN, any reason you don't like Maxima oil? I've heard it's almost a direct replacement for the RS/SRAM stuff (some people even swear it's the same stuff)?

mtbr member
    Maxima is fine too but had a slightly higher viscosity at standard temps as I recall. I think that's what PUSH uses for their rebuilds. I use it in my SLEDZ!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ROCKSHOX LYRIK RC SOLO AIR upgrade-img_0062-1024x575-.jpg  

"There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Gman is that Rainer in your picture. Do you live in Seattle area

mtbr member
    Mt Hood, Portland area.

Cheers,

G MAN

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So update on my fork. I got the new DH damper, changed the oil in the upper and dropped in the damper. I didnt do much tweaking before the first ride. but what a huge difference, it made. I would suggest it to anyone.