Rockshox Lyric - Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rockshox Lyric - Advice

I'm looking for some advice before I finalise my purchase. I've just put a deposit on a set of 09 Lyric Air 2 Step. I'm 6'0 and 205ILS with gear and am upgrading from my trusty PIKE 454 air. My riding is mainly single track but I do like to try and jump off anything that I deem within my skill level (not very high!!). I had seen many other riders on lyrics and came across a great deal so jumped at it while I had the chance. Now i've seen some negative feedback on the 2 step air i'm wondering if I jumped too soon The shop also has a coil Lyric for sale as well so I am sure I could swap my choice.

So basically my question is to those of you out there who are familiar with these forks, are the lyric coil a safer bet or are these 2 step airs worth the extra money?

Thanks for looking

Oct 2007
    09? i thought they canned 2 step because they couldnt get it right?

i thought 2 step was a pretty cool idea.. would be nice to hear that they got it working properly.

mtbr member
    If the shop has a Lyrik Coil U-turn, call the LBS RIGHT NOW AND GET EM TO SWAP THE 2 STEP FOR THE COIL VERSION!

The 2 step has a SHOCKING reputation for problems, IMO its a majorly flawed system, coil u-turn is the only reliable travel adjust system for longer travel forks on the market at the moment

I have a coil uturn Lyrik on my Kona Bass and have zero problems with it

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What are the problems with the 2-step?

mtbr member
    I've had no problems with my 09 Lyrik 2 step. It was a warranty replacement for an 08 which did have problems. I believe the most common problem was related to o rings in the 2 step side which would lead to inconsistent travel adjustment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What if you never use the travel adjustments; could the problems still occur?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Coil > 2 Step for sure. I run a Solo Air and I have had no problems at all. I'd avaoid the 2 Step though.

Good choice of fork BTW.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    What if you never use the travel adjustments; could the problems still occur?
    Yes, the fork wouldn't extend back and then you're stuck with a 4" travel fork (happened to my friend at Whistler of all places). AVOID the 2 step like the PLAGUE!

I have the solo air and wouldn't trade it for any other! The coil versions are popular too but a pound heavier and not as adjustable (I like how I can air mine up for FR and back down for AM/Trail use).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0