Rock Shox travel issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Rock Shox travel issues

Hey people.

A few months ago I had a problem with my '07 dual air Pike, which involved a pressure loss and lowering the fork to about 60mm of travel.
    Its been serviced now, and apparently it came alright. However I'm a bit afraid that there's still something wrong - sometimes it displays all the travel, other times it doesn't, and is normaly about 5mm short.

Is this normal? I'm running about 120psi on the positive and 80 on the negative, weighting about 70kg with my gear on.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    not sure but remember negative pressure reduces the travel a bit, could just be that if your only losing about 5mm

mtbr member
    Well Duh You're running 20% more pressure in the NEG chamber than the POS, it's a wonder you haven't lost more travel Why, oh why would you run your fork this way. Set the POS pressure and then pump the NEG until you see the travel start to move the stanchions in a bit is how PUSH says to set it, me I normally go with a NEG pressure of about 60-70% of the POS and some just go with a 10 PSI difference, BUT NEVER have I heard of anyone running 40 PSI more NEG pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by jonypaul
    Hey people.

A few months ago I had a problem with my '07 dual air Pike, which involved a pressure loss and lowering the fork to about 60mm of travel.
    Its been serviced now, and apparently it came alright. However I'm a bit afraid that there's still something wrong - sometimes it displays all the travel, other times it doesn't, and is normaly about 5mm short.

Is this normal? I'm running about 120psi on the positive and 80 on the negative, weighting about 70kg with my gear on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Well Duh You're running 20% more pressure in the NEG chamber than the POS, it's a wonder you haven't lost more travel Why, oh why would you run your fork this way. Set the POS pressure and then pump the NEG until you see the travel start to move the stanchions in a bit is how PUSH says to set it, me I normally go with a NEG pressure of about 60-70% of the POS and some just go with a 10 PSI difference, BUT NEVER have I heard of anyone running 40 PSI more NEG pressure.
    While in theory you are correct, running more Negative pressure than Positive will cause a loss of travel, I fail to see how 120 PSI Positive, 80 PSI Negative translates to 20% more Negative, Duh!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Spice
    Dec 2008
    same thing i was thinking

mtbr member
    Actually you're right, I was being conservative, when I actually do the calculations that's 50% more pressure in the NEG than in the POS chamber He's lucky he has much travel at all

Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    While in theory you are correct, running more Negative pressure than Positive will cause a loss of travel, I fail to see how 120 PSI Positive, 80 PSI Negative translates to 20% more Negative, Duh!
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Actually you're right, I was being conservative, when I actually do the calculations that's 50% more pressure in the NEG than in the POS chamber He's lucky he has much travel at all
    (read it again! he has more pressure in the positive!)

mtbr member
    I'm sure an admin changed that Was I still that asleep when I read that In that case Not sure what the heck is going on, but the RS stuff is easy to service - maybe do a service and makes ure the O-rings are properly lubed and oil levels are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    (read it again! he has more pressure in the positive!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    LOL. Bit sleepy, were you?

A friend of mine said that it's a normal thing, and his Lyrik has the same issue... but I still don't get it. Maybe it's to big of a difference?

mtbr member
    LMAO Yup, guess so Not sure if you're asking if the PSI difference is too much, if that's what you're asking, then NO. I run about 100-110 POS and 65-80 NEG.

Quote Originally Posted by jonypaul
    LOL. Bit sleepy, were you?

A friend of mine said that it's a normal thing, and his Lyrik has the same issue... but I still don't get it. Maybe it's to big of a difference?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Maybe I'll pop a bit more POS then.

Members who have read this thread: 0