Rock Shox SID and Reba XX 29 Compatibility- Mtbr.com
    I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Rock Shox SID and Reba XX 29 Compatibility

My 2009-2011 RS Reba XX Dual Air 29er 100mm fork has 9mmQR dropouts. I just got a 15mm thru axle wheelset. Can I swap out the lowers and internals of the Reba XX with an SID World Cup Dual Air, with Keronite coating lower legs with it?

Nobody seems to know and obviously SRAM wants you to go through an LBS....which has been of little help. I love the feel of the Dual Air forks and cannot afford to buy new 15mm TA forks. To currently make the TA wheels work - I have a DT Swiss RWS 10mm thru-bolt axle and a machined billet reducer adapter, from MTBTools. Is converting this all over a waste of effort and money, for the sake of lightness and uniformity? Anybody?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

bike tester
    just run your QR fork and 15mm wheels with adaptor, it's really not worth the money and trouble to swap lowers.

mtbr member

Re: Rock Shox SID and Reba XX 29 Compatibility

Look at the cavity in the bottom of the lower leg. If the same depth, its any easy swap.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Look at the cavity in the bottom of the lower leg. If the same depth, its any easy swap.
    So, if the Dual Air rods are the same length - everything should transfer over, including the Motion Control XLoc chamber?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    As long as the travel is the same and the air spring is the same (dual air vs solo air) you should be fine. The SRAM/RockShox parts manual on the service site will show you the internal part numbers for the assemblies that are used in various models.

Air spring and damper assemblies as well as stanchion length vary from model to model but there is some crossover.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Is your front hub convertible to 20mm, such as hope or I9, because there are definitely 20mm lowers. I am sure you thought of that though. A lot of the suspension tuning/rebuild companies keep used lowers on hand, from forks where the CSU failed. So you may be able to call around and find a suitable swap for less money used. I don't understand the comment about not worth the time, a lower swap should only take 15 minutes.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    2013 Spare Parts Catalog: http://cdn.sram.com/sites/default/fi..._spc_rev_b.pdf

From the Catalog:

* IMPORTANT - 2012 and 2013 Reba CSU, lower leg, spring assembly and damper assemblies are NOT compatible with 2005-2011 Reba forks.

* 2013 Reba and 2013 SID internals, CSU and Lower Leg assemblies are interchangeable.

bike tester
    * IMPORTANT - 2012 and 2013 Reba CSU, lower leg, spring assembly and damper assemblies are NOT compatible with 2005-2011 Reba forks.

* 2013 Reba and 2013 SID internals, CSU and Lower Leg assemblies are interchangeable.
    iirc 2013 SID and Reba share the same chassis, so it's normal that they are interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    I don't understand the comment about not worth the time, a lower swap should only take 15 minutes.
    Since he mentions that the SID is also Dual Air, so probably pre-2012, when SID and Reba were quite different, i think it's not worth the time investigating if they will fit and the risk of doing it all for nothing. Especially since he already has the adaptors for the wheelset, so it's not some big downtime causing issue, it's mostly just a question of taste.

I would only try if i had a friend with a SID and he would be willing to lend me the lowers for a try when he changes the bushing oil