Rock shox pike 327 clicking noise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rock shox pike 327 clicking noise

I have a rock shox pike 327 that came with my pitch, and I've been using it for about 2 years now. I use my bike mostly for small local trials, but every summer i make a few trips up to NH and use it for lift serviced downhill. Last summer I was getting a clicking noise while riding (the sound only happens under a hard compression). It lasted for a few weeks and then went away. Now this past week the problem came back while i was riding at Sunday river, again the the noise is only under hard compression. The sound also goes away when the u-turn is adjusted down a little bit( like to around 135mm travel or less)

I have not changed the spring in it and I am a 185+- lbs with gear. Anyone have any idea on what might be causing this sound? I don't really feel anything when it clicks, but it is quite audible.

Maybe i have overworked this fork by riding it on downhill, and the fact that i think I'm over the weight for the stock spring in it.

I'm hesitant to take it apart myself because i've never done it before. I tried bringing it to a few local bike shops and they all said they would just send it to rock shox and have them check it out.

cliffs:
    -Rock Shox pike 327
    -clicking noise under hard compression
    -happened last year and went away after about a week
    -Clicking noise goes away if i adjust the u turn down a few mm's.

Is it worth while for me to have this fork sent out and fixed, or should i ride it a little longer and save up for a 160mm fork?
    07 Hardrock Sport - basically stock
    08 Specialized pitch comp - soon to be upgraded

Former Bike Wrench
    Grease the snot out of the spring, the clicking is likely the spring hitting the inside of the stanchion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Grease the snot out of the spring, the clicking is likely the spring hitting the inside of the stanchion.
    alright i just took out the spring and it looks pretty dry.

What type of grease can i use on this? Is a multi-purpose lithium grease ok or should i get something different?

also, whats the reason for the little piece of heat shrink that's on there?

Former Bike Wrench
    Any nice thick grease will work fine

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Any nice thick grease will work fine
    Great thanks for the help. One last thing, I just cycled the suspension without the spring in there to make sure that's the issue. I can hear a gurgling coming from the side the spring came from near bottom out. I think it might be grease that has settled to the bottom? should i drain it out? and if so how, i removed the bolt on the bottom of the lower and nothing came out. tip it over?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Noise is gone!! thanks again

Former Bike Wrench
    Your welcome, and the gurgling is the splash oil lubrication in the spring side leg.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FRhansen View Post
    I have a rock shox pike 327 that came with my pitch, and I've been using it for about 2 years now. I use my bike mostly for small local trials, but every summer i make a few trips up to NH and use it for lift serviced downhill. Last summer I was getting a clicking noise while riding (the sound only happens under a hard compression). It lasted for a few weeks and then went away. Now this past week the problem came back while i was riding at Sunday river, again the the noise is only under hard compression. The sound also goes away when the u-turn is adjusted down a little bit( like to around 135mm travel or less)

I have not changed the spring in it and I am a 185+- lbs with gear. Anyone have any idea on what might be causing this sound? I don't really feel anything when it clicks, but it is quite audible.

Maybe i have overworked this fork by riding it on downhill, and the fact that i think I'm over the weight for the stock spring in it.

I'm hesitant to take it apart myself because i've never done it before. I tried bringing it to a few local bike shops and they all said they would just send it to rock shox and have them check it out.

cliffs:
    -Rock Shox pike 327
    -clicking noise under hard compression
    -happened last year and went away after about a week
    -Clicking noise goes away if i adjust the u turn down a few mm's.

Is it worth while for me to have this fork sent out and fixed, or should i ride it a little longer and save up for a 160mm fork?
    I think that sometimes the clicking is the spring hitting the inside of the stanchion as it compresses and gets deflected to the side. I noticed that the rubber sleeve on your spring is pretty low down, you might want to push it back up to around the middle of the spring, so it hits the inside wall rather than the metal spring.

Of course, re-greasing it is a good idea as well.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.