Rock Shox Monarch Plus won't expand- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rock Shox Monarch Plus won't expand

Hi! I have a brand new shock. On my forth ride the shock suddenly won't return to fully extended position. It stays at 40% sag and I can't get it any further.

Have disconnected it from the frame. Still at 40% sag. Air out, pump up. 40% sag and No further. Rear triangle moves freely.

What can be wrong? Do I have to return it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Search "stuckdown" or "stuck down"

Could be dry orings under the sleave if it has a Debonair air can.

mtbr member
    Will try the search. When the shock is dismounted and I let the air out, it compress automaticly

damned rocks...
    Seems like air leaked into the negative chamber.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah it seems that excess pressure has built up in the negative chamber and it is not equalizing properly. Make sure when pressurizing or depressurizing you do so in steps of 50 psi or so, stopping to compress the shock so that the positive and negative chambers can equalize. If that's not happening you may need to do an air can service and make sure the transfer ports aren't blocked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My Monarch did that recenley😟

I would put it back to the frame and then pull it back out, it will need som brute force to extend. I did just this to my shoc and it works just fine again.
    But its on your own risk.

MarkyMark
    Getting stuck-down is a common problem with Rock Shox Monarch+ shocks. Unfortunately, they have manufacturing and/or quality control issues so there's no fix or remedy other than returning it for something else.

Here's my Monarch+ after climbing 1000+ feet. I returned it for a refund.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I pulled off the outer can and air can. Cleaned up, lubed up with Slickoleum and a couple of drops oil. Now Its working, at least indoors.

If this reoccurs, I'll try contact the seller. But the links do suggest this procedure once in a while...

Glad I could fix it. Realise I ned one of those strap things to (un-) screw the aircan.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    Getting stuck-down is a common problem with Rock Shox Monarch+ shocks. Unfortunately, they have manufacturing and/or quality control issues so there's no fix or remedy other than returning it for something else.

This is how you fix it. It's easy and is caused by poor assembly.

https://nsmb.com/articles/care-for-your-debonair/

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post

That is the new Rockshox geometry adjust feature. It lowers the bottom bracket and slackens the headtube for better descending.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Demon Cleaner

Rock Shox Monarch Plus won't expand

I had this as well though in my case it was after a (apparently) sloppy air can service by myself. Did it again with more care and the shock is running great for a year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornwattne View Post
    Now Its working
    Nice. Now you know how to install the volume reducing bands when you want to experiment with that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I've had the same problem twice now. According to my dealer, SRAM says their air shocks and seals are not rated for weather below 32 Deg F.

My condition occurred when I took my bike from storage to the out doors. Both times-

The first repair was covered under warranty and the second was out of pocket. I plan on buying a spare shock now.

mtbr member
    I was below 32F/0C. Possible cause. That worries me a bit these days here in Norway...

Well, have learnt something new, always a plus! Currently there is two bands in there. It's a good idea to experiment! Will also try a token or two in the fork. And: I've ordered that strap thing for assemble/disassemble the air can/-s.

Thanks for all help!

MarkyMark
    It sucks buying something and then having to fix it yourself. I'm not down with that can would rather buy reliable components.

FYI--
    Releasing the negative side pressure can damage the seal(s).

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieTolliver View Post
    I've had the same problem twice now. According to my dealer, SRAM says their air shocks and seals are not rated for weather below 32 Deg F.

My condition occurred when I took my bike from storage to the out doors. Both times-

The first repair was covered under warranty and the second was out of pocket. I plan on buying a spare shock now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I second crimedog's recommendation to follow the steps outlined at: https://nsmb.com/articles/care-for-your-debonair/ -- I have a Monarch RT3 with specialized autosag feature -- For years I was so frustrated because I could never ride in cold weather -- basically anything below 45 degrees. Turns out the issue was that Rockshox seal grease performs horribly at cold temps -- you can see this for yourself if you get a replacement seal kit, which comes with their "dynamic seal grease" -- put the grease in the fridge or freezer then put a dab on your hands and feel how thick and sticky it is.

This caused the seals around the air piston to fail, preventing the pressure in the negative and positive air chambers from equalizing.

The fix is simple -- pop off the aircan, remove all the factory grease, and put some lighter grease on -- I used SRAM Butter, which I believe is the same as slickoleum or slick honey. Super simple fix requires only a strap wrench and shock pump.

For step by step pictures on disassembling the monarch shock, see the relevant service manuals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Glad to find this thread and the good info inside. My Monarch Plus RC3 just got stuck down (partially) on a ride yesterday in 30į freezing rain for four hours. All jives with the above. I'll do this service this week/weekend and use some Slick Honey and see how it goes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Update -- turns out servicing with slick honey didn't really solve all my problems. It helped, but didn't solve it. What did fix it was swapping out the RockShox Autosag aircan (for specialized bikes) for the normal aircan. In talking to Rockshox, they said the stuck down phenomenom happens much more with autosags, especially in cold weather. So, my advice, if this is happening on a autosag shock for a specialized bike, is to call order a replacement aircan.

MarkyMark
    Most likely it'll get stuck-down again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Glad to find this thread and the good info inside. My Monarch Plus RC3 just got stuck down (partially) on a ride yesterday in 30į freezing rain for four hours. All jives with the above. I'll do this service this week/weekend and use some Slick Honey and see how it goes!

mtbr member
    If you have the Autosag air can, you can just use the Autosag valve to remove the negative pressure and fix the issue immediately. It's the only air can with a valve connecting to the negative chamber so it actually makes the fix easier. I promise you that if you call SRAM again you'll get a different answer as to why this happens each time.

They are wrong about the operating temps. Nitrile rubber has an operating temp range of -40F to 240F. Nitrile 70, Nitrile Rubber Properties, Nitrile Specifications - Mykin Inc

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

MarkyMark
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    If you have the Autosag air can, you can just use the Autosag valve to remove the negative pressure and fix the issue immediately. It's the only air can with a valve connecting to the negative chamber so it actually makes the fix easier. I promise you that if you call SRAM again you'll get a different answer as to why this happens each time.
    Being pedantic, releasing the negative side pressure doesn't fix anything. It'll temporarily restores balance, but then it'll get stuck down again as the negative side pressure increases.

Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    They are wrong about the operating temps. Nitrile rubber has an operating temp range of -40F to 240F. Nitrile 70, Nitrile Rubber Properties, Nitrile Specifications - Mykin Inc
    mk
    The reservoir helps keep things cooler, but shock still warms up as it cycles during a ride so the cold ambient temp scenario doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If the seals got stiff and allowed leakage between the neg & pos sides then it should restore balance and work better, not worse. (Someone can try placing their stuck-down shock in the freezer as a test.)

mtbr member
    The biggest danger with stuck-down is major geo change so even balancing is a big plus for riding out. And it doesn't always happen again immediately. Sometimes, sure. But the other danger with stuck-down is air can removal. Unscrewing that can with a ton of negative pressure is delicate work. With the Autosag valve, you can depressurize safely.

I've never heard a good, solid answer for why this happens. Every stuck-down I've seen going back to the Fox Great Stuck-Down Event of 2004-5 has resulted in no clear indication of the cause. Bad seals? Inconsistent seal swell rates? Blocked equalization port? Damaged back-up ring? Partially unscrewed damper piston?

Even when you can force the rear shock into extension to hit the equalization point, it doesn't change. Odd.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Fox just had a run of faulty sesls, maybe slightly under size I donít know the specific cause.

Most stuck down rockshox I see are either damage or contamination of the o rings between inner and outer can, or damage to the main quad ring. Both usually happen during installation of the air cans. We get temperatures below 40f fairly often in winter, Iíve never known it to be a cause. Sram hydraulic road brakes had a problem in the cold at one point but thatís epdm rubber not nitrile