rock shox equip on azure comp- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

rock shox equip on azure comp

I have a rock shox pilot sl in front and an ario in the rear. I noticed that both lost 10 psi between when i put in air and the next day. The bike wasnt ridin before i rechecked the air pressure? Is this normal, should I take the bike to the shop? Less than a month old.

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by o_rod
    I noticed that both lost 10 psi between when i put in air and the next day
    What exactly did you do to measure this 10 psi loss?

If you reconnected the pump, that is your problem. A shock pump hose at ambient air pressure, connected to a pressurized shock, will first bleed air into the empty hose to equalize everything before any pressure is registered on the shock pump.

The only real way to observe a gradual air pressure loss over time is to note changing sag settings from ride to ride.

Chances are very good that you have no problem!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Jul 2006
    I did what you said. Used the pump to check pressure. This is my first bike, it's a azure comp. How do i check sag settings? Heck, how do I set sag? Thanks for your patience.

Derailleurless
    I think on the Azure you've got a 38mm (1.5") stroke shock. The dw-link likes between 25% and 33% sag. This equates to 10mm to 13mm of sag.

To set this, secure a zip tie to the shaft of the shock, and snug it up against the shock body. Gently sit on the bike (assume a riding position). Smoothly get back off (a friend, or at least a wall you know really well helps with this), and measure the gap between the zip tie and the seal on the shock chamber.

This is your starting point. Take notes of what air pressure setting corresponds to your desired amount of sag.

When you hit the trail, experiment. Play with this newfound pressure +/- 5 or 10 PSI and note what changes occur to the ride quality. Are you using all of your travel? Are you bottoming too frequently? Go from there.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Members who have read this thread: 0