Revesektion mutant fork - what do you think?- Mtbr.com
    Numerous wiring problems.
    Mar 2004

Revesektion mutant fork - what do you think?

I've just canned an Air U-Turn Pike with Push upgrade - stanchions wore out - from the front of my Pace RC405 and replaced it with a Revelation XX Dual Air and somehow I don't quite like it - feels too light and slightly too tall for the frame, plus I've always liked the idea of a coil fork.

So... I'm toying with the idea of buying a Sektor Coil U-Turn then swapping the damper side internals over with the Revelation - I have another frame that can go on - to build a 150mm U-Turn coil fork with the better spec damper from the Revelation in it.

The MoCo from the Sektor can go in the Rev for now, in the future, I can always get it Pushed I guess. Adjustable travel, coil performance, reasonable weight, decent damping at high speed - what's not to like?

I can't help feeling I've missed something important - have I or it it just a genius idea? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Badly Wired Dog; 10-23-2010 at 01:02 AM.

"El Whatever"
    It should work... just be aware that RS lists different part numbers for their crown-steerer unit for the Sektor Coil and Sektor Air. I don't know the difference but your idea should work.

I'm getting a Rev Dual Position Air... if I don't like it, I would have to buy the spring parts of the Sektor and the rebound damper rod (which is where the negative spring is on the Sektor).

Or I can drop the U-Turn unit from my Pike... who knows.
    Check my Site

Mar 2004
    I think the differences are on the spring side rather than the damper - the air RS forks have a polished inner tube on the left hand side, but the coils don't? Based on other RS forks I've stripped, the damper side is the same so as long as travel is identical - or shimmed to match - it should work. Beats me why RS don't offer a Sektor with the dual reboud and BB damper to start with though.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Badly Wired Dog
    Beats me why RS don't offer a Sektor with the dual reboud and BB damper to start with though.
    cuz that would be a rev. the sektor is rs's stripped down budget trail fork. op that should work.

Mar 2004
    2011 Revs don't come with a coil option, that's my point - they're air only, so if you want a 150mm coil with a BB damper and the dual rebound, you're stuffed unless you make one yourself - or is there a 2011, 150mm coil U-turn Revelation that I don't know about?

Thanks for the input, guys.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Badly Wired Dog
    2011 Revs don't come with a coil option, that's my point - they're air only, so if you want a 150mm coil with a BB damper and the dual rebound, you're stuffed unless you make one yourself - or is there a 2011, 150mm coil U-turn Revelation that I don't know about?

Thanks for the input, guys.
    didnt realize that. rs must think air is supierior to coil for trail use.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    didnt realize that. rs must think air is supierior to coil for trail use.
    I guess they either think folk who like coil forks are either going to buy a Sektor or a Lyric. Or they don't want BB damping. Or the Sektor is basically just a slightly longer Pike with a Revelation chassis, so it's kind of like for like with the Pike coil, but lighter... I guess there's a commercial reason for it, but I like the idea of a lightish 150mm coil fork with a top-end damper.

Anyway, watch this space

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    When i spoke to TFtuned shox they said it cannot be done,something to do with the negative for the coil sektor being in the damping side,and it wont fit with the BB damper cartridge

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    When i spoke to TFtuned shox they said it cannot be done,something to do with the negative for the coil sektor being in the damping side,and it wont fit with the BB damper cartridge
    That's interesting. I guess I'd best give them a bell, thanks for the heads up. Rats...

Mar 2004
    [deleted - double post]
    Last edited by Badly Wired Dog; 06-15-2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: double post

Mar 2004

Eureka, it works...

I thought I'd just revive this thread in case it's useful for anyone else in the same position. To cut a long story short, yes, there is a top-out spring - I think calling it a negative spring is a bit misleading - on the rebound damper stack of the Coil U-Turn Sektor, it's purpose, as far as I can tell, is to prevent harsh top outs. The Pike has a similar top-out spring, but it's located in the coil leg of the fork.

Anyway, I got hold of a Revelation Black Box rebound damper with Dual Flow, took the spring off the Sektor damper where it just sits kebab-style and put it on the Black Box one. Everything fitted back together fine and there doesn't seem to be any issue with space inside the fork.

Took it for a blast over my local rocky, crashy, steppy trails and I'm very happy with the results. The fork feels spot on, far more controlled when hammering hard through the sort of rocky stuff that used to outface the high-speed rebound damping, works really well - as good as my 2011 Revelation I think - and is imho now the fork RS should have built in the first place - 150mm U-Turn adjustable coil, 20mm Maxle and Black Box dual flow rebound.

The negative/top-out spring, I think, is a bit of a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What about going the other way? I have a Sektor that I got because I didnt want the Rev because I am not an air fan but I wouldn't mind better dampening when pushing it. It seems to kind of slow down in extend rough sections.

Mar 2004
    Yeah, if I'm reading you right, that's what I've done. All you need is the Black Box rebound damper head assembly, which you can buy as a spare from RS, it's the one that fits the 2010/11 Revelation.

All I did was to remove the fork lowers. Invert the fork. Remove the circlip that holds the rebound damper rod and head in place. Slide out the original non-Black Box damper rod. Remove the spring assembly - it just slides off. Slide the spring onto the Black Box damper rod and install it before putting it back together.

The Black Box rebound has a seperate high speed damping circuit which means that where the standard rebound damper sometimes reaches a point where it can't flow enough oil to cope with repeated high speed hits, the dual flow one can, so that should sort your fork slowing down at speed.

"El Whatever"
    Nice!! Thanks for sharing! I only need to know now if a U-Turn Coil Assembly from a Sektor will work on a Revelation...

Anyone has gone from air to coil in a Sektor or Revelation? It looks like the air top cap is the same for all 32mm aluminum stanchion forks. Or does the Sektor use a different uppers for the air and coil versions?
    Check my Site

Members who have read this thread: 1