Research help for bro-in-law....- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

Research help for bro-in-law....

So my brother in law has recently moved nearby and we have started riding a lot together. He has an old Trek FS bike that a buddy gave him (dont remember model but at least a 2003) and it is a bit to small for him. He rode my brothers old Rocky Mountain Element 50 and loved it, fit him well and my brother has offered him the frame and shock (no front fork or other components as he has transferred everything over to his old Giant XTC frame).

So he wants to buy the frame and transfer everything from his current bike to the RM with the exception of the fork. His current trek has an old Rock Shox Psylo fork that seems to be dead or have a coil spring that is to low for his weight (he is 5'10" about 180#). So his dilema is to either pick up a full new bike (hardtail is all that is in his budget in the $500-$700 range) or do the swap and spend the money on a nicer fork and have someone swap the parts for him.

If he were to go with the swap what fork would match the RM Element 50 with the older RP23 shock well? Preferably a new fork, so I was thinking like a RS Tora, Reba, Manitou Match or something in those lines (thinking 100mm max travel).

Made in Canada
    I would say that the Match would be a great bet. He would get an awesome fork with preload, rebound damping and compression damping and likely still have a good bit of change left over for some other upgrades if he wanted. I just got a Match and have it on my new RM Vertex build and the only thing I can really complain about is weight ~5lb. But its totally worth it. From what I hear best bang for the buck in the price range (can't say as I haven't ridden any other forks in the range). He could also get the psylo rebuilt as it is a good fork, but probably better just to go for a new fork.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks TPM..
    The Psylo seemed to bottom out when he hit even the littlest bumps yesterday (there is one trail that has seven about 12"+ drops that) it bottomed on everytime. So I have a feeling that it is shot but if he were to try and get it rebuilt then where is a good place to send it to (thinking cost savings right now)?

I am actually doing this research for his wife because she called me and told me she wanted to get him either a new bike or something to do with biking for their 1yr anniversary. As he really like the FS RM Element 50 frame I am leaning in that direction but willing to help either way.

Our trails around here are pretty standard XC trails with lots of rocks, sand, the occassional root, but mostly dry/loose over hardpack. In the fall/spring we get lots of snow run-off so the trails can get pretty muddy (not sticky muddy but just sandy/dirt muddy).

Let me know if there is other information I can provide to help with decision. Again, if they can save a bit of money they (like TPM said) we can spend money on other upgrades like a new wheelset, brakes or something of that sort.

Made in Canada
    I think your best bet would be for the budget, performance and convenience, I would go with the Match. Chain Reaction Cycles has it on for 21% off ($289 USD) and qualifies for free shipping. Rebuilding the Psylo should be possible but you get more features such as lockout with the Match. I'll let others put in their input but I absolutely love that fork and I don't think he would be disappointed.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks for the input TPM... expecting a call from his wife tonight to see what she wants to do (either meet her at my brothers house to pick up the frame or meet her at an LBS to grab a bike/Gift Card).