Replacement Warranty Frame so what fork should I get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Replacement Warranty Frame so what fork should I get?

I got a replacement 09 GF BigSur frame but now have old 2001 Judy XC 80mm on it and I want/need to upgrade. I know the 09 BigSur came with F-100 but I've been thinking of 120mm fork and trying to get G2 offset crown. Maybe Fox F-120 or Reba Team/Race? What would you suggest? I'd appreciate your opinions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The G2 forks are not available aftermarket. I would suggest looking on ebay for a used model but I think they would be hard to come by.

If you don't mind putting on a standard fork (7mm difference in offset) then perhaps get a travel adjustable fork so that you can try 120mm.
    I have owned previous bikes where they work really well with the intended travel but absolutely awful with anything more or less. Then again, many people on these forums seem to have luck with speccing longer travel forks on hardtails and achieving what they want from it.

I would suggest the Reba or the Fox F120.
    I have an F120 and you can adjust the travel internally down to 100mm or 80mm, though this would cost you money at the LBS to do, or specific tools for you to do at home and only if you are competent with fork servicing.

Nice score on the warranty btw, Fisher warranty is tops!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Lil Wil, I've been keeping an eye out on eBay, been a couple of G2 forks, but not heaps. Warranty is good, had to fork out for some new parts, disc breaks, but hey, I have new parts...... I guess I was lucky when I needed a new wheelset I bought disc and rim capable (forward thinking )

I think the 120 wont be too bad for me, I ride a small bike for my size 19" and 6"1' so longer a2c distance should raise the height a little. Riding with the 80mm feels like I am constantly endo'ing with this geometry. I think I'll invest in a riser bar too

Thanks again.

Mountaineer
    Apr 2009
    Check your Big Sur frame. It SHOULD say "9000 Platinum series aluminum," but I bet it says "6160 Gold Series," which is what I just received (this morning). So basically, mine's a Marlin/Piranha/Tassajara frame with a Big Sur decal set on it. Not a big deal, but since GEICO was paying for it (I was rear-ended by one of their insureds while my new bike was on a back rack), I would have preferred the real Big Sur frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Checked it, yep 6061 Series is what it says. Didn't check if it said "Gold" but def 6061. Mine was a replacement from 2001 HKEK, so prob same frame material, maybe even better now, so not too worried.

Found myself a 2009 Fox 120 G2 RP24, will be putting that on this week, looking forward to it!!

Mountaineer
    Apr 2009
    I have some serious crow to eat, folks....

Today I received my newly-built "Big Sur Marlin Disc" bike from Bike Doctor in Arnold, MD. GEICO was paying for the replacement frame, and all labor, and that entitles me to warranties, free tune-ups, etc.

In my earlier post, I said the Fisher replacement frame was basically a Marlin/Piranha/Tassajara frame, relabeled as a Big Sur. IT IS NOT! It's lighter than my Marlin frame, the geometry is a little different (more on that in a minute), and it's reinforced with gusseting behind the seat post, like a jumping frame. I didn't notice that when I first saw it in the bike shop. It's a beefier, ruggedized hardcore hardtail frame. And, with all my new marlin Disc components on it, it's super cool looking. Add to that the fact that any upgrades like a Fox fork and hydraulic brakes will increase the value even more, the Fisher frame swap deal was definitely the way to go.

Ok, now for the geometry...

If you download a photo of the Marlin or Piranha, and the Big Sur, and scale them to the same size, you'll notice that while both bikes are G2, there are subtle differences that are noticeable when riding. The top tube on the Big Sur meets the seat tube at a lower point, and the head tube angle is slanted back more toward the rider. The seat tube angle is steeper also. Overall, it makes for a great riding bike, but had I noticed the differences, I might have asked for a 17" Big Sur frame to replace my 15.5" Marlin, because the new custom bike feels a little cramped. I'm short, but even I notice the difference. However, I rode trail today, and the bike was awesome in the woods, so I'm very happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0