Recon 351 on a 09 Hardrock?- Mtbr.com

May 2009

Recon 351 on a 09 Hardrock?

I have an 09 Specialized hardrock sport disc and im a pretty big guy at 6'-4 and 290lbs. the front shock is a little weak for me so I was thinking about upgrading. anyone know if the following link will fit my bike. (I know the stem has been cut and thats why Im asking)

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e.aspx?sc=FRGL

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What do you mean weak? You mean it bottoms to easy or do you mean it's too flexible?

if it bottoms out too easy, what you need is a stiffer spring. Recon is a good fork. Try to tune it before you ditch it.

May 2009
    Just to be clear, I still have the stock sontur shock on my hard rock and I want to put the recon 351 on to replace teh sontur. My main question is will the recon 351 shock listed in the link fit my bike?

The stock sontur just doesnt feel right to me. I have tried to adjust the stiffness. Over the smal stuff it doesnt feel like there is a shock at all and then on even a little bunny hop it nearly bottoms out. I feel a lack of control with it.

On the specialized site, it says that my bike has the "stiff" string in it. Is there something stiffer?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ah I see.

A recon is a good fork.... but I don't have much experience with being 290 pounds. I know that the medium (red) spring that comes with it will be nowhere near sufficient for you. What I don't know is if Rockshox' extra firm spring will be enough either.

Maybe someone else here knows?

To answer your question, yes the recon will fit the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0