Recommend an inexpensive fork for my "backup" ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recommend an inexpensive fork for my "backup" ride

I just picked up an '09 Stumpjumper FSR and was in the process of returning my '05 Fisher Tassajara HT back to stock to sell when I decided it might be a good idea to keep around for the occasional fire road ride or when a friend comes to town.

That being said, the Tass could use some upgrades! I figured the first would be a new fork. As this is my backup ride, and likely only to see very occasional use (perhaps the occasional sport Tri, etc), I do not want to spend a ton.

Can anyone recommend a decent fork for under $200? The bike currently has a 100 mm Manitou Axel Elite TPC that feels like it might as well be rigid! Anything better than this that won't break the bank?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How about servicing the old fork? Did it always feel like a rigid?

Otherwise, you will most likely end up with another 100-120mm fork that won't feel that much better. A RS Tora comes to mind.

Otherwise, look used.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Used, I have a one ride 2008 Manitou Nixon TPC+ if u want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You're best off not looking for a particular model, but just watching for clearance deals for 100mm forks. The best deals usually come up late summer into fall, but there are occasional good deals throughout the year if you keep an eye open. Since it's your backup bike, you should have time to wait for the right deal.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

~Disc~Golf~
    Tora 318
    Honestly... ahh I give up

bi-winning
    If it will just be a back up ride for occasional use, how about a Surly 1x1? It's inexpensive!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Tora 318
    Yup, might be inexpensive but it is not cheap.

mtbr member
    or this one;

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...2+Fork+09.aspx

Hard to beat the value, and can be shortened to 100mm.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Manitou Axel feels like a rigid fork because it needs to be serviced, which is a very simple thing to do. Some fresh Semi-Bath Oil (16cc's of 5W-40 oil in each leg) and fresh damper oil (5w Motorex 110-120mm measured from the top of the stanchion) and I'll bet that Axle would work just fine with an hour or less of labor and $10-$15 invested in oil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The Manitou Axel feels like a rigid fork because it needs to be serviced, which is a very simple thing to do. Some fresh Semi-Bath Oil (16cc's of 5W-40 oil in each leg) and fresh damper oil (5w Motorex 110-120mm measured from the top of the stanchion) and I'll bet that Axle would work just fine with an hour or less of labor and $10-$15 invested in oil.
    +1
    If it's a real TPC fork it's worth servicing and/or checking why it's stiff (remove the spring and see if it cycles smoothly, etc.).

Members who have read this thread: 0