To rebuild or not to rebuild my Marzocchi Bomber Atom Race 2001?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

To rebuild or not to rebuild my Marzocchi Bomber Atom Race 2001?

For the last few years I have been rigid and single. I'm thinking now about putting back together my RM Hammer to its mostly original state, right now it's in a rigid fork drop bar mode. I mostly ride other wheels, but I used to have so much fun on this 26er. The big question is whether or not to rebuild the sus fork I've had in a box for the last few years. It needs to be rebuilt and there should be a kit available. I rode mostly XC, no big drops and a fair amount of city riding. It needed an overhaul when I last rode, but since I moved onto my simpler self it just never got done. Is the fork worth the time/effort/money to rebuild?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    For the last few years I have been rigid and single. I'm thinking now about putting back together my RM Hammer to its mostly original state, right now it's in a rigid fork drop bar mode. I mostly ride other wheels, but I used to have so much fun on this 26er. The big question is whether or not to rebuild the sus fork I've had in a box for the last few years. It needs to be rebuilt and there should be a kit available. I rode mostly XC, no big drops and a fair amount of city riding. It needed an overhaul when I last rode, but since I moved onto my simpler self it just never got done. Is the fork worth the time/effort/money to rebuild?
    If you liked the fork before, you will still like it. The 2001-2 Marzocchis were very good, and I still use mine (have 3). Well worth rebuilding, if it even needs more than just an oil change.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Before tear it down, do your research looking for procedures and parts first!!! I took my 2006 Marathon SL apart to replaced the seals but ended up opening up the the TST cartridge too, but there's _no_ instruction/video about bleeding this thing, I did lots of guessing to get it working again.

The support for the Marz fork is weak, I will replace mine with a Fox fork in the future.

mtbr member
    Rebuild it. Those forks were fantastic. I would make the argument that the only thing that is better today is the stiffness/weight ratio of most forks. If you can't do the rebuild yourself, check out Suspension Experts. They work on a wide variety of forks and have lots of old parts. Highly recommended.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    I have the fork manual and I checked not too long ago with the Shockspital (now acquired by an LBS with a great service shop) about purchaing a rebuild kit from Marzocchi. I am relatively mech minded but I don't have any experience with rebuilding a sus fork. The potential plans are to either have it rebuilt by Doc Shock or take a class to learn how to rebuild and further care for the fork. Since I am more a monkey see monkey do learner, I like the idea of the class. However, the class is offered mid day and I got the 9-5 along with a new kidlet, so it's more likely the Shockspital will be doing the work. I am going to keep my eye out for a Saturday class though.

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I have the fork manual and I checked not too long ago with the Shockspital (now acquired by an LBS with a great service shop) about purchaing a rebuild kit from Marzocchi. I am relatively mech minded but I don't have any experience with rebuilding a sus fork. The potential plans are to either have it rebuilt by Doc Shock or take a class to learn how to rebuild and further care for the fork. Since I am more a monkey see monkey do learner, I like the idea of the class. However, the class is offered mid day and I got the 9-5 along with a new kidlet, so it's more likely the Shockspital will be doing the work. I am going to keep my eye out for a Saturday class though.
    Enduro bearings has the manuals online and replacement seals. Marzocchi still stocks dampers and parts.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Marzocchi told me two weeks ago that they only stock parts back to 2008. Others would have access to other parts, but that's from Marzocchi Service.

Time to start hoarding parts!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Marzocchi told me two weeks ago that they only stock parts back to 2008. Others would have access to other parts, but that's from Marzocchi Service.

Time to start hoarding parts!

mk
    They told me a bit ago that have parts for my 2001 forks.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have a 2002 bomber 80mm. Have changed the oil every year, but never did anything else. Seems to still work fine. Am I at risk of this thing blowing out on me?

Quote Originally Posted by MarinMtBike View Post
    I have a 2002 bomber 80mm. Have changed the oil every year, but never did anything else. Seems to still work fine. Am I at risk of this thing blowing out on me?
    Not really. You can still get seals if needed.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I know this is over 2 years old but I'll try anyway.
    I just brought my 1999 Trek 9.9 out of retirement and restored it for regular duty again The forks are Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Atom Race 80mm. I am trying to figure out if I can update the springs to a heavier weight but am not sure if there is a manual around I can reference before I pull them apart. They definitely need to have the oil replaced and I will need ot know how much to put in each side. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I think you can get it from the Marzocchi site.

Marzocchi Suspension
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rangone View Post
    I know this is over 2 years old but I'll try anyway.
    I just brought my 1999 Trek 9.9 out of retirement and restored it for regular duty again The forks are Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Atom Race 80mm. I am trying to figure out if I can update the springs to a heavier weight but am not sure if there is a manual around I can reference before I pull them apart. They definitely need to have the oil replaced and I will need ot know how much to put in each side. Thanks!
    Well, if it works (abet poorly) right now, just put in as much oil as comes out of each set of pair of fork legs. Turn set of pair of forks upside down, put pans below the set of pairs of legs, capture the oil. Easy way to do it.

Just need to find some heavy bomber 80mm springs.

To rebuild or not to rebuild my Marzocchi Bomber Atom Race 2001?-oilchange.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Awesome reply Jayem. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check this site out if you need oil levels as well...

The Marzocchi Workshop: oil quantity's & levels

Dream it, Do it.
    Wow, just found this thread. I've got a 1995 Kona Explosif that I'm looking to rebuild and was looking at Z2 Atom Bomb forks with 70mm of travel. The bike originally came with a 50mm travel Marzocchi XCR so as much as I'd like to get a 2001-2002 vintage Marzocchi fork, I think I need to stick with 70mm of travel or less.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes