Rebound on Manitou "S" Type Shock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Rebound on Manitou "S" Type Shock

I have a 2006 Manitou "S" Type shock on my Gary Fisher Supercalibur. I looked through the online manual but it does not say what way to turn the rebound for more or less. It also reccomends about 25 to 30% sag for cross country riding yet the Gary Fisher catalog states 10% for cross country racing.

If anyone has experience with this shhock or Manitou and can give me some pointers it would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The S Type damper is the same as any....

other when it comes to adjustments. Turn the adjuster clockwise (as viewed from the top of the shock) or to the right to increase (slow the rebound) the damping rate, and counter clockwise (to the left) to decrease (speed up rebound) the damping rate.

As for the sag, read what the Fisher manual says, "yet the Gary Fisher catalog states 10% for cross country RACING." This setting will give you a rather stiff ride and the best platform performace for RACING! Also remember, sag recommendations are just that, RECOMMENDATIONS! There is nothing that says that you have to use the recommended sag in the manual. I think if you experiment with it you'll find that YOUR prefered setting is somewhere in between 10 and 30%. The best way to find out is to experiment with it. Start at 10% sag and ride, then try other settings as well. Just keep in mind that in setting the sag with an air shock you are also decreasing the air pressure as you increase sag so you are decreasing the spring rate as well. There will be a point where the shock will start to bottom out excessively NOT a good thing. This is dependent on the shock, the suspension design, etc. at what point that will be. So start out with the minimum recommended sag (10%) and slowly reduce it in small increments until you find the sag level that suits you best (I'm guessing around 15%). Just don't go too low or you could damage the suspension, frame, shock, or all three, and the performance of the suspension will suffer as well. Also keep in mind that your bike is designed as a RACE bike, thus the tag "Race Day". It is designed to be a quick handling, fast bike on the trail, with a suspension design that is oriented toward pedaling efficiency, not plushness. It's designed to peform best when set up slightly stiff with just enough monkey motion to take the edge off. It ain't supposed to be a squishy, long travel, big hit bike, and CANNOT be made to perform like one.

Just keep the above in mind when setting up the suspension and you should be fine.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Great Feedback

Thanks for the reply. I had a 40 mile trail ride today with a couple friends and the bike is amazing. So far I like the feel a little more that the Fuel 95 I had last year. Time will tell!!

Members who have read this thread: 0