Rebound Knob Problem - Skareb SPV- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Rebound Knob Problem - Skareb SPV

The rebound knob on the Skareb SPV i just got off e-bay (i know, i know) is incredibly difficult to turn and only turns about half of a turn. Is this normal?

It is an '04, so should I just go ahead and upgrade to SPV evolve?

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy73
    The rebound knob on the Skareb SPV i just got off e-bay (i know, i know) is incredibly difficult to turn and only turns about half of a turn. Is this normal?

It is an '04, so should I just go ahead and upgrade to SPV evolve?
    1/2 turn for full range is normal. "Incredibly difficult to turn" is not normal. Stiff is normal. The bigger question is, does the rebound damping go from super slow extention to very quick extention at opposite ends of the knob's turning range?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It does not change a whole bunch from full turn to either side. The oil needs changing. Took off the damper side cap and the oil was quite milky looking - almost looked like metal flake paint. Could this cause that?

I plan on pulling it apart here soon and changing the oil out. Anything I should look for that might be causing the knob to be so stiff? It is REALLY hard to turn - like mounting a Continental road tire on a really tall sidewalled rim hard.

otb club member
    It does not change a whole bunch from full turn to either side. The oil needs changing. Took off the damper side cap and the oil was quite milky looking - almost looked like metal flake paint. Could this cause that?

I plan on pulling it apart here soon and changing the oil out. Anything I should look for that might be causing the knob to be so stiff? It is REALLY hard to turn - like mounting a Continental road tire on a really tall sidewalled rim hard.
    If it's that hard to turn it may be corroded internally. If you are sure it's the standard SPV maybe you should just call Manitous service dept. directly and see if you can score an SPV Evolve replacement. Even if you end up paying you'll be getting something better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Update

So I decide to take the fork apart, and of course the SPV valve is non-functioning - Blue thingy (technical term) does not spring back when compressed toward the Red thing-a-ma-bob (another technical term). In fact, it was very difficult to compress. It appears the entire rebound assembly is shot.

So I call Manitou since, from what I have read here, this is a common and known problem (defect?) I'm told I will have to buy a new SPV assembly from my local dealer. I guess I can't complain too much since I'm not the original purchaser.

Code Burr
    So I decide to take the fork apart, and of course the SPV valve is non-functioning - Blue thingy (technical term) does not spring back when compressed toward the Red thing-a-ma-bob (another technical term). In fact, it was very difficult to compress. It appears the entire rebound assembly is shot.

So I call Manitou since, from what I have read here, this is a common and known problem (defect?) I'm told I will have to buy a new SPV assembly from my local dealer. I guess I can't complain too much since I'm not the original purchaser.
    Before you do that, try rebuilding it.
    The SPV assembly comes apart really easy. Dump the oil out, remove the lowers, carefully remove the black platic cap at the bottom of the leg. Pull the rod assembly out of the bottom.
    All you need is a cone wrench or an adjustable wrench to unscrew the top of the SPV Valve assembly while holding the piston rod. It should not be torqued down. Take apart the blue valve, note the orientation, clean it out, and put a tiny dab of synthetic grease in it. Should work like new now. Put in new oil and test it out.

mtbr member
    Oh please please please be carefull with that fragile stupid little thing. I went through what you did already. Rebound knob was hard to turn, next thing I know - SNAP. Yeah, I needed to buy my own SPV assemby, too. The plastic rod that travels through the assemby snapped and it's not something one can service seperately.

There's not much point in just changing the oil. If there's any grit/debris inside the actual area that provides the difference in rebound speed you'll NEVER get it all out. It would only be a matter of time.

Save yourself the trouble - just get the '05 unit and be done with it.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Members who have read this thread: 0