Reba RL vs RLT question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Reba RL vs RLT question

Is there any real difference between a Reba RL and RLT.

From reading their website, the only difference that i can see is that the the floodgate threshold is "tooled" via hex wrench on the RL where it is externally adjustable on the RLT.

Here is what they list on the RL for adjustments:
    External Rebound / Low Speed Compression / Tooled Floodgate and External Lockout / Spring via Air Pressure, External Travel: Dual Position Air,

Here is what they list on the RLT for adjustments:
    External Rebound / Low Speed Compression / External Floodgate and Lockout / Spring via Air Pressure, External Travel: Air U-Turn

If so, why do they bother with such minor variations? Seem stupid to only change the cap.

I see that the RLT ti has the shimmed black box motion control vs the standard motion control cartridge, so I see the difference with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It was the same with previous year's Reba SL (Floodgate adjusted with 2.5 mm hex key) vs. Reba Race (Floodgate adjusted from a knob).

You can see the same trend at other fork manufacturers: pointlessly introduce slightly different models of forks (preferably which require as many as possible different spare parts).

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by brightsky
    If so, why do they bother with such minor variations? Seem stupid to only change the cap.
    The number of variations is indeed annoying. The situation gets worse when you toss in all the OEM variations.

The distinction between RL and RLT exists so they can squeeze more money from those who really and truly want the T. Fox does the same sort of thing with their RL versus RLC models.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Does the rlt have the blackbox moco and rebound vs the standard moco and rebound? If so, the difference is more than the floodgate adjustment method.

Also, the C in fox's RLC is a substantial upgrade adding adjustable low speed compression.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm
    Also, the C in fox's RLC is a substantial upgrade adding adjustable low speed compression.
    I really like having compression damping adjustment. I'd give up the lockout, if I could, before giving up the compression. Fox should come out with an RC model for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm
    Does the rlt have the blackbox moco and rebound vs the standard moco and rebound?
    No, Reba RLT does not have BlackBox Motion Control.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    The distinction between RL and RLT exists so they can squeeze more money from those who really and truly want the T. Fox does the same sort of thing with their RL versus RLC models.
    kinda sorta. The RLT is equivalent to what the Race was last year except it is now their entry level Reba model in the same price range their SL was last year. They've actually upgraded the fork without a major price increase! The RL model that is equivalent to the old SL is now an OEM only model

wheatgerm, the RLT does not have the BlackBox. You have to jump up to the RLT Ti model to get that

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 2011 Reba 29 RL. It has the standard tooled MoCo unit but I am pretty sure it has the BB rebound damper. It has detents and the SRAM parts list only lists one rebound assembly for both models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    From "2011 RockShox Spare Parts Catalog (2011 RockShox SPC_Rev B.pdf)", page 30:

No. | Part Number | Description

24 | 11.4015.317.000 | Rebound Damper/Seal Head Assembly, Motion Control, 26/29, 80mm-120mm - Reba (2009-2011)

25 | 11.4015.317.010 | Rebound Damper/Seal Head Assembly, Black Box Motion Control, 26/29, 80mm-120mm - Reba (2009-2011)

25* | 11.4015.397.020 | Rebound Damper & Seal Head Assembly, Black Box Motion Control - 2010-2011 Revelation (includes rebound adjuster knob)

mtbr member
    I guess I just don't understand why they have the RL model at all. Yet they have a special 140mm 29er trail specific version with a different crown..and they don't give it a special model notation.

Just makes it hard for customers to differentiate....

However, I do like the rock shox products.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb71
    From "2011 RockShox Spare Parts Catalog (2011 RockShox SPC_Rev B.pdf)", page 30:

No. | Part Number | Description

24 | 11.4015.317.000 | Rebound Damper/Seal Head Assembly, Motion Control, 26/29, 80mm-120mm - Reba (2009-2011)

25 | 11.4015.317.010 | Rebound Damper/Seal Head Assembly, Black Box Motion Control, 26/29, 80mm-120mm - Reba (2009-2011)

25* | 11.4015.397.020 | Rebound Damper & Seal Head Assembly, Black Box Motion Control - 2010-2011 Revelation (includes rebound adjuster knob)

What about the 140 Reba ? That's the RL model I was referencing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    From page 28 from the same catalog:
    Reba 29” (140mm) - Rebound damper; use item 25*
    But you also said "the SRAM parts list only lists one rebound assembly for both models".

mtbr member
    So on the 140mm model you could replace the compression damper and have the black box motion control of the RLT Ti. I wonder what they would charge for that part.

Members who have read this thread: 1