Reba Race steerer tube question- Mtbr.com

May 2009

Listen! Reba Race steerer tube question

I could use some suspension gurus help on a possible purchase of Reba Race forks for my 09 hardrock sport. I can pick these forks up for a great price and they are only about 3 months old and barely used (street use lol). Anyhow, my question is this..My headtube per specialized website is 140mm (5.51 in.) for my 21in frame. The forks have a 7.75in cut steerer tube lengh. I have plenty of room on the current oem forks with two spacers between the stem(race face dues), quite a bit of room. I would measure but I am out of town on business for 2 weeks so thats why Im here. What do you think? Do you think they'll fit, I dont mind the bars dropping a bit anyhow, but for 200 bucks these forks are a killer buy. Let me know please..I appreciate it! Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

It'll be close...

it depends totaly on the stack height of the headset and the stem clamp. Most stem clamps run about 40mm or 1.57 inches, that only leaves you .67" to account for headset stack height. And there's no accurate "average" for headset stack. Many are 30mm or a bit less for a "traditional" headset, which the Hardrock comes stock with. But some are larger, some are smaller, but there's no way to tell. So assuming a 30mm (1.18") headset stack and adding in the stem clamp at 1.57" and then adding in the headtube at 5.51", you end up with a minimum steerer length requirement of 8.26" without spacers. Unfortunately from the info we have here the steerer tube on the fork is too short for your bikes minimum requirements. And unfortunately the variables aren't known so it's impossible to calculate any fudge factor.

I'd say pass on the fork, the chances are better than even that it won't fit.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 0