Reba - & + air pressure settings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Reba - & + air pressure settings

Would like to know what air pressure some of you are running in your Reba U-turn forks. I am 164 lbs and the recommended air pressure seems to be a little on the high side. With the recommended air pressure I have no sag. When I drop the + air pressure down to 90lbs I get about 20mm of sag (suggested sag in manual is 23mm). I have 115lbs in the negative air chamber. Anybody else experience this? BTW, Rock Shox recommended settings for my weight is 130-140 for + and -.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxout
    Would like to know what air pressure some of you are running in your Reba U-turn forks. I am 164 lbs and the recommended air pressure seems to be a little on the high side. With the recommended air pressure I have no sag. When I drop the + air pressure down to 90lbs I get about 20mm of sag (suggested sag in manual is 23mm). I have 115lbs in the negative air chamber. Anybody else experience this? BTW, Rock Shox recommended settings for my weight is 130-140 for + and -.
    I weigh 170, and I'm running 100 psi pos, and 80 psi neg. I don't have too much time on the fork, so I might tweak it a bit from there. If I do, it won't be much, it feels pretty good where it is. I don't know how much difference it makes, but I think the manual said to extend the travel to 115 on the U-turn models before setting the pressure.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike
    I weigh 170, and I'm running 100 psi pos, and 80 psi neg. I don't have too much time on the fork, so I might tweak it a bit from there. If I do, it won't be much, it feels pretty good where it is. I don't know how much difference it makes, but I think the manual said to extend the travel to 115 on the U-turn models before setting the pressure.
    Rode today for the first time on my Reba race and WOW!! what a confidence booster going from my SID SL to this fork...soaks everything up. The settings at 90 lbs for the + and 115 for - seemed to work well...I will continue to play with it but the Rock Shox recommendations from there manual are off just a little I'd say!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I weigh 164 lbs and ride Moad.
    I adopt +ve 100psi (with ~20mm sag) and -ve 110-115psi.

mtbr member
    Like you said I too found the pressure recomendations from RS a bit too high for my REBA SL when I first got it - I weigh 175lbs and w/ gear, hydration system etc I prob weigh around 185lbs. I had my pressures set exactly the same 100+ and 80-, BUT since the fork has been "broken in" I have up'd the pressures now to anywhere from 120-140 + and 115- depending on what type of ride I'lll be doing. I'll run about 160+ if I'm riding stricly road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

otb club member

First RS Pressure Table was a goof.

This is the correct table:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur
    This is the correct table:

Where did you get this? If it's correct, RS had made a very big mistake on every fork they sold, as the table was right sticking on everyone's fork!!!

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Lam
    Where did you get this? If it's correct, RS had made a very big mistake on every fork they sold, as the table was right sticking on everyone's fork!!!
    It's from the "05 Suspension Spare Parts Catalog." It definitely conflicts with the charts listed in the "05 Suspension Technical Manual." Both were included in the Sram CD available at Interbike last year. There was an earlier posting here where almost everyone complained that the higher pressures indicated by RS were leading to a loss of travel and a harsh ride. I posted this alternative chart then and most found it to be closer to what the "trial and error" adjustment method had led them to. Both charts can't be right, so one would think that one or the other is a mistake. However, after taking a second look at the rider weights and pressure settings of the posters in this thread, I'm thinking that BOTH charts may be wrong and that the correct pressures are somewhere in between?!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's from the "05 Suspension Spare Parts Catalog." It definitely conflicts with the charts listed in the "05 Suspension Technical Manual." Both were included in the Sram CD available at Interbike last year. There was an earlier posting here where almost everyone complained that the higher pressures indicated by RS were leading to a loss of travel and a harsh ride. I posted this alternative chart then and most found it to be closer to what the "trial and error" adjustment method had led them to. Both charts can't be right, so one would think that one or the other is a mistake. However, after taking a second look at the rider weights and pressure settings of the posters in this thread, I'm thinking that BOTH charts may be wrong and that the correct pressures are somewhere in between?!!
    Wow!! There really is some confusion with both parties. After riding 2 or 3 times on my fork (Reba U-Turn) I agree that the settings are right in the middle of the chart above and Rock Shox's settings. I am running 90-100 + and - and the fork feels really good (I am 164lbs). As the fork gets worked in this may change but right now these settings feel good.

otb club member
    Wow!! There really is some confusion with both parties. After riding 2 or 3 times on my fork (Reba U-Turn) I agree that the settings are right in the middle of the chart above and Rock Shox's settings. I am running 90-100 + and - and the fork feels really good (I am 164lbs). As the fork gets worked in this may change but right now these settings feel good.
    Guess we need to start a database of riders from all weight classes and make a new chart since the manufacturer is apparently confused about their own product....

That's REEAAALLLL Nice

You've got it right..

I'm 175 and run 95 POS and about 100 NEG, so you are definitely about right. I'm still tweaking the NEG to get better small bump response.

mtbr member
    That chart you posted is wrong (search the board, this has been discussed before and SRAM/Rockshox was quoted as saying it was wrong). I measured the sag with the psi values from the sticker on my Reba's fork leg for my weight, and it was spot on. The sag is supposed to be 20% of maximum travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm running 90 psi + and 100 psi -. I set the + first, and then the -. Since the - is greater than the + the fork should sag down some which is what I want. My Reba is set at 100mm, but I really want 90 so I sag it down an extra bit. Seems to work so far...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSteel
    I'm 175 and run 95 POS and about 100 NEG, so you are definitely about right. I'm still tweaking the NEG to get better small bump response.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    That chart you posted is wrong (search the board, this has been discussed before and SRAM/Rockshox was quoted as saying it was wrong). I measured the sag with the psi values from the sticker on my Reba's fork leg for my weight, and it was spot on. The sag is supposed to be 20% of maximum travel.
    Yes. You probably noticed (in the part of my post that you quoted) that I said the pressures in that chart seemed too low. If you read many of the other posts in this thread you will see that they are finding that the other chart (the one that came with their forks) has turned out to be too high. That's why I said that both charts are probably wrong and the correct pressure is somewhere in between. It's great that you found the original (higher) chart to be correct for you, but you seem to be the exception.
    Last edited by Chris2fur; 06-02-2005 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Too tired and crabby in my first response...

mtbr member
    May 2005

Travel loss

Hello I have to confirm that higher pressure -especially for negative spring -(written in the users manual) cause loss of travel. Decreasing pressure of engative spring enable return to original travel. So where is the mistake? I have to try above mentioned low pressures....
    Cllaude