Rear Suspension Sizes??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Rear Suspension Sizes??

hey hey!!

i have a Merida 96 fitted with X-Fusion O2 RC rear shocks. i'm looking to upgrade to Fox's DHX Air 5.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Shock+10.aspx

Question is when im just about to place an order, it has a list of sizes... what does it refer to? I'm a little confused on which one would fit

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Quite simple really....

The first measurement is the length of the shock from the center of one bolt hole (eye) to the other, eye to eye or I to I. The second is the complete stroke of the shock, i.e. how far the shock is able to compress. Manufacutrers design the frame to accomodate a specific i to i length. Going shorter or longer than stock can create various problems, mostly related to geometry and frame clearance. The stroke is important as going shorter will give you less travel, going longer will give you more. Both can create problems in susension performance and frame clearance issues. So it is quite important to match an aftermarket shocks measurements to your stock shock. Unless you are willing to experiment, possibly void your warranty, and run the risk of damage to the frame.

As to which one will fit. Your best bet is to contact Meridia, or a Meridia dealer and find out what the requirements for the rear shock are. Or you can measure the shock that is currently on the bike. Contacting Xfusion is another option. If none of those pan out, then hopefully, some one here with the same bike and knowledge of the requirements will pipe up.

With all that said. From what I know of the Meidia 96, it is a 100mmm travel XC/Trail bike. It is highly unlikely that you will find a DH Air that will fit it. Most modern 100mm travel bikes use a 6.0 X 1.25 to a 6.5 X 1.5 shock. The most likely is a 6.5 X 1.5. That is unless Meridia speced a "custom" length shock for the bike. The smallest DH Air 5.0 available to you is a 7.5 X 2.0, which would be too big for your application.

Best to check with Meridia and see what the spec is.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wow!
    thanks so much for the answer Squash!!
    Now i know what the for numbers represent!! =]

Thanks again =]

Members who have read this thread: 0