Rear shock suggestions for a GT iDrive- Mtbr.com
    PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Rear shock suggestions for a GT iDrive

My buddy and I are discussing his rear shock options and we've come to an impasse: I think that he needs less rear shock and he thinks he needs more. The bike is an '07 (I think) GT iDrive 5 4.0. The rear shock that is on it now is a Fox Float 7.5" X 2". I do not believe that this shock has Propedal as there is no sticker showing what level of Propedal that it came with. Also, it seems to absorb small hits really well, something that the Float R on my Prophet doesn't do. Yes, the Prophet is a single-pivot rear suspension design but so is the GT. The GT has their iDrive technology that, I believe, counteracts some of the pedaling induced bob that you get with a single-pivot rear suspension. I have noticed that my buddy has less pedaling induced bob than I have on my Prophet and I cannot entirely chalk that up to a smoother pedaling stroke. Does the Fox Float on his bike have Propedal? We're going to try calling Fox tomorrow to see if they know the answer to this.

I'm convinced that he just needs something like a Fox Float RP2 but he's leaning towards an RPL or RP23. I think that both of those shocks are overkill and that the lockout feature of the RPL is a crutch for a poorly designed rear suspension. Also, I have a problem with lockouts as I would tend to forget that I've locked it out and will find out after jarring my teeth on that gnarly descent that I didn't unlock it. At least with the RP2 (or the RP23, for that matter) the Propedal will not lock out the rear suspension so that isn't a possibility and the Propedal can be turned off. My buddy did one ride where he had his front Vanilla RLC locked out already so I wonder what the wisdom of having a rear lockout would be?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Propedal or other platforms on shocks aren't required for idrives as the suspension design already effectively removes pedal bob, and if anything, platform can hinder the performance of small bump absorption. Your friend can still get the propedal fox floats, but make sure that they have low tuned propedal, or in the case of the rp2/23, you can turn it 'off' anyway. But getting the rp23 maybe unnecessary as your paying for a feature that you wont need.

Why is your friend interested in a new shock?

Oct 2007
    the RP23 seems redundant to me.. i never want some platform.. i either want it full on to sloppily mash up something, or i want it off. on bikes that pedal well (like idrives) you'll really not need a platform for much, except the sloppiest stand and mashes up fire roads. RP2 is good.

i liked the 07 idrives a lot.. moreso than the force which replaced it. why not a coil shock? the bike pedals real well, might as well get something buttery like a coil shock!

i dont think you can get a lockout fox air shock anymore? does seem odd that you're so concerned about what your buddy buys with his money for his bike. if he wants an RP23, hey by all means let him get it and enjoy it. by the sounds of it, it doesnt exactly sound like hes looking for an opinion.

mtbr member
    I have an Idrive 5 3.0 , and It came with a Fox Float R. It has some propedal built in to the shock. It worked well, But if your friend plans to ride fire roads for any extended rides, having an RP23 is good choice. I just put and RP 23 on for this reason. I ride a lot of fire roads after a rain and being able to throw it in propedal 3 helps. As far as the other settings go I run propedal 2 on most of the trails in my area which are more xc like so there's a lot of climbing. Full open down hill is a blast though.
    JAD

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    Why is your friend interested in a new shock?
    Upgraditis

Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    does seem odd that you're so concerned about what your buddy buys with his money for his bike. if he wants an RP23, hey by all means let him get it and enjoy it. by the sounds of it, it doesnt exactly sound like hes looking for an opinion.
    I'm his voice of reason. We play this game of "what if" and we hash things out. Sometimes it prevents us from spending money unwisely, sometimes it helps us to spend our money like there's no tomorrow. Basically, we bounce ideas of what we want to do with our bikes and we give each other advice. We go back and forth on it until we come to a more educated decision. The problem is that I'm more of the "I don't care how it looks but it better perform well" type of person while he is the total opposite. Unfortunately, we both made some uneducated purchases early on and now we're dealing with them. Neither of us are willing to sell our bikes right now so we're just throwing money at them to make them better.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    i liked the 07 idrives a lot.. moreso than the force which replaced it. why not a coil shock? the bike pedals real well, might as well get something buttery like a coil shock!
    Almost forgot to respond to this.

My buddy actually likes a less plush rear suspension. I guess it's from his experience riding a full rigid bike all those years. We tuned his rear suspension for 20% sag and he kept saying that it was too soft so we bumped up the air pressure by about 80 PSI before he was happy with it. It's at 240PSI now. I actually think that having some platform would artificially stiffen his rear suspension to his liking so that we can tune the air pressure correctly.

Members who have read this thread: 0