mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Rear shock stansion has a deep scratch, help!

So my ohlins stx22 rear shock has been leaking air and oil for some time now. I pump it every about every 1 to 2 rides depending on time and distance. I took the shock off today and pumped it up to max pressure and put it in water and watched it for a while and no air was coming out at all. After examining the shock I found a good size scratch on the stansion. It's about a quarter of an inch in length, not to deep but you can feel it. I don't think I'm losing air pressure when bike is just standing so could the scratch be causing the air leak when the shaft goes into the air tank? I wanted to do a seal change but I can't because I never relized that I bought a Dam Mercedes's version of a bike shock. By that I mean only the ohlins company can do any servicing to there products so they won't sell any seal kits or nothing (greedy bastereds). Specialized dealer gave me an estimate of $200 for the job also. They can kick rocks

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Forgot to mention that the dealer couldn't do the job themselves because they said they don't have the tools and it's to complicated, the 200 estimate was to send it in to ohlins. How can a shock be so complicated that not even a specialized dealer can do it.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Welcome to the alternative universe called Special Ed.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Welcome to the alternative universe called Special Ed.
    Kicking rocks, indeed.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

All fat, all the time.
    For $200 you can damn near buy a new shock. Get one you can service yourself.

mtbr member
    Try spraying some WD40 on it. (sorry)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My massage therapist scratched hers pretty badly, fixed it with nail polish
    2016 RMB Thunderbolt 750
    2016 RMB Blizzard 30

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah I've heard you can try putting nail polish on the scratch, then sand it with light grit sandpaper to get it smooth (if necessary).

Could also just be a leaky seal. Maybe find a new LBS that actually services these things, or learn to do it yourself.

mtbr member
    If the scratch is deep it could lead to losing air pressure. Also, if the scratch has sharp edges, it can damage the seal, which could be the source of losing pressure. If you're not losing any pressure when the shock is static, you may not have damaged the seal, and the shock could only be losing pressure when the scratched portion of the stanchion passes through the seal on it's stroke.

The nail polish and sanding trick has been around for a long time. I've only ever needed to attempt it 1 time, and the nail polish didn't work for me. It wouldn't stick to the stanchion well enough to endure the sanding. Maybe I just needed to let it dry overnight before sanding it. Anyway, I ended up just carefully wet sanding the scratch to de-bur it with very fine sandpaper (600 grit or higher), and replacing the seal (this was on a fork, but same concept). Worked just fine, no noticeable increase in stiction, and no loss of air or oil from the fork.

As far as suspension service, $200 is a reasonable price for the shop to ship it to a service center for a full rebuild, ship it back, and install it back on the bike.

From what I've seen, most suspension tuning/service centers charge at least $150, not including shipping either direction (which you pay both). If that $200 quote also includes somehow taking care of that scratch, then I'd just have them send it in and be done with it.

It's unfortunate that suspension service costs so much, but it is a fact of life with higher end suspension with short service intervals.

Besides, rebuilding a high end shock isn't something I would trust most local bike shops with, unless they are an authorized service center for that brand shock.

I don't like the idea of spending $200 on each end of my bike every 100 hours (typical recommended service interval), so I've switched my suspension over to DVO (a couple forks and rear shock) since their stuff works well and is completely user serviceable.
    No dig no whine