Rear shock dirt / dust covers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rear shock dirt / dust covers?

What is the general take on covers (ie. Lizard skin's) for rear shocks, primarily coil's? I do run a Lizard skin on My Fox float cause it gets covered w/ dirt without one. Is dirt on a coils shock shaft an issue? I don't see many covered on the trails but I don't know if shaft contamination is a failure problem for coil shocks? Thanx

Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!

Tried one...

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    What is the general take on covers (ie. Lizard skin's) for rear shocks, primarily coil's? I do run a Lizard skin on My Fox float cause it gets covered w/ dirt without one. Is dirt on a coils shock shaft an issue? I don't see many covered on the trails but I don't know if shaft contamination is a failure problem for coil shocks? Thanx

I tried using a neoprene coil shock cover on my Giant for a while right after I bought it. I found that after a particularly muddy ride, it would actually hold water/grit inside. I ride a lot of trails with deep mud and roots, very wet as well as bouncy. When my shock would compress, it would push the cover back and forth, which not only let stuff get inside, but it started to rub the paint off my shock mounts/pivots. I decided to take it off and see what kind of damage it would get uncovered. I've been riding a year now with it off (at least 3 days a week), and the shock does not seem to have suffered at all. I would say that all-considered, it sounds like a good idea, but is really kinda silly. I won't be using mine again.
    When dirt does manage to find its way onto the shaft of the shock, it seems to just dry up and get pushed off. I have not noticed any kind of decay on the seals, or leaking of any kind. It doesn't make any kinds of noise when it gets muddy either, so I see no reason to keep using it, since I can't imagine having water against the seals while the shock is active (with a cover on the shock holding the water/grit in) does it any justice I would recommend against using it. Seems like more trouble than it is good. Hope my .02 are worth something.
    SEEK THE GNARL, LEST IT FIND YOU FIRST.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ullrite
    When dirt does manage to find its way onto the shaft of the shock, it seems to just dry up and get pushed off. I have not noticed any kind of decay on the seals, or leaking of any kind. It doesn't make any kinds of noise when it gets muddy either, so I see no reason to keep using it, since I can't imagine having water against the seals while the shock is active (with a cover on the shock holding the water/grit in) does it any justice I would recommend against using it. Seems like more trouble than it is good. Hope my .02 are worth something.
    Do you lube your shock shaft (seals to be proper) somehow???? THX.
    Check my Site

Amphibious Technologies

Don't use it!

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    If you ride in dry dusty conditions, very fine dust gets through and onto the shaft which may then enter the seal. It is best to just leave it open brush the dirt off with a paint brush at the end of every ride.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have used a Lizard Skin shock boot for the past five years on a Fox Vanilla Coil shock here in SoCal and have found it to be very useful. The shock looks like brand new except for a couple of spots on the outside of the coil spring where the paint has rubbed through. Itís right where the Velcro closure comes together and is kind of stiff in that spot. The shock itself gets very little dirt that gets through and what does is easily removed when I wash the bike. I have had no seal failures or trouble with this shock in five years of admittedly moderate use.

Earlier this year I replaced the shock with a Manitou Swinger 4-Way Air shock. I thought I would just transfer the boot over to it and originally made the boot shorter and put it over the exposed shaft part of the shock. I ended up taking it off because I was concerned that it would wear on the shaft the same way it did on the coil spring.

I would say that it depends on the conditions. I do question itís use on an air shock because of the way the Velcro closure wire through the paint on the coil spring and the possibility of it damaging the finish on the air shock shaft. Other have had issues with it that seem dependent on their particular environment. In some environments, I would say that it could be useful. Apparently in some others, it is not.

Nov 2005
    My fox float was leaking all the time, I was riding in Colorado dirt, dust, snow, and sand. I tried everything from a plastic bag taped over the rear shock (was slightly better than nothing, though not pleasing to the eye)... to lizard skins. I was so tired of rebuilding and pumping that thing up all the time. Any how, I eventually read some good stuff about this site called Gebali . Might be worth checking out, completely solved the problems I was having with my air shock.

http://www.gebali.com/mountain_bike_products.htm

Don't think they make anything for coils... but I haven't ever used anything for a coil anyhow, perhaps thats lazy... but I don't have to pump them up, so I don't mind it getting dirty.