Rear Shock advice for 2006 Trek Fuel EX- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Rear Shock advice for 2006 Trek Fuel EX

So I learned an expensive lesson the other day, I was messing with the air preassure in my rear shock which is a rock shock MC3, and once I got to the trail decided to let a little air out…well I didn't have my air pump and bled the shock dry. Since I rode to the trail, I just locked it out and kept ridding. Apparently this blows the seals out, so now i'm looking at least $100+ to have it rebuilt or the shop is trying to sell me a fox rp23 ( i think that's it) for $380. What's everyone's opinion on which direction i should head?

Former Bike Wrench
    Go to a different shop...a $100 rebuild is no big deal and the fact that they are trying to get you to buy a new shock when you don't need one is pretty lame.

Jun 2004
    well, called around found 2 shops locally that can rebuild the rock shock for MC3 for $80-$110 depending on what's bad in it, the bike shop i got the bike from gave me a lightly used MC3 for $100 if i wanted it, but found a guy on ebay, NJBikeguy, who had some SMOKING deals on new 2009 Fox RP23, ended up getting one for almost half of what the local shop wanted for it

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Sheata
    but found a guy on ebay, NJBikeguy, who had some SMOKING deals on new 2009 Fox RP23, ended up getting one for almost half of what the local shop wanted for it
    i just looked up njbikeguy on ebay and it said he was no longer a ebay user?
    Honk your horn if im paying for your mortgage!

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russelr
    i just looked up njbikeguy on ebay and it said he was no longer a ebay user?
    hmmm just checked he's still on there http://myworld.ebay.com/njbikeking/

Here's one of his auctions http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

So far he's been GREAT to deal with, very up front, sent UPS tracking codes, i've got his contact info, it's all over the web and he's got a 100% feedback rating from ebay users. I'm always skeptical on internet purchases but we'll see how it turns out, so far so good

Members who have read this thread: 0