Rattling after installing 04 Z1 FR SL- Mtbr.com
    Arrrgggghhh!!

Rattling after installing 04 Z1 FR SL

I just installed my new fork (04 Z1 FR SL onto a Giant AC). This was my first fork install, and everything went smooth. Got it out on the trail and when it gets rough there is a dull rattling noise that seems to be coming from the front of the bike. I can't reproduce the sound at home, and everything seems tight (no play) and is working perfect as far as I can tell. I don't notice any change in performance when I hear the noise either, but it is very annoying. I have not done anything else to the bike between installing the fork and noticing the noise. Any suggestions on what it could be?
    Give 'da people 'da air.

TNC
    noMAD man

Did you open the fork?

Quote Originally Posted by BBOC
    I just installed my new fork (04 Z1 FR SL onto a Giant AC). This was my first fork install, and everything went smooth. Got it out on the trail and when it gets rough there is a dull rattling noise that seems to be coming from the front of the bike. I can't reproduce the sound at home, and everything seems tight (no play) and is working perfect as far as I can tell. I don't notice any change in performance when I hear the noise either, but it is very annoying. I have not done anything else to the bike between installing the fork and noticing the noise. Any suggestions on what it could be?
    Many Marz owners open new forks to check or adjust oil levels. Just asking as a possibility. I have a couple of Z150 SLs, basically just like yours. They are quiet forks--no spring rattle or scrape obviously because of the air spring. I don't know of anything internal on this fork to make that sound barring some strange failure. I'd bet on something being loose or out of whack on the installation--even the best mechanics can boo-boo. It could be internal, but more likely something else. Noises like you're describing can be hard to track down sometimes, as it is quite diffucult to run alongside your bike while going down the trail.

No, that's not phonetic
    Could be a topout "tap". Increase your negative pressure (a lot) and see if it goes away.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BBOC
    Are you sure your headset is tight?

qwf

Sep 2004
    Same problem here. Brand new FR SL, still to break in. Huge metallic noise both in compression and in release when the fork is completely without sag, (full extended, for instance if you take a jump or a wheelie). Any suggestion?

qwf

Sep 2004
    Bumping the thread for help

mtbr member

Rattling fork.....

Funny, 6 months ago I built a 2003 AC1 frame with a Marz FR SL and experianced the same problem.
    I investigated some more and found out it came from the ECC cartridge assembly.
    I sent it back for repair and they could not solve the problem, they replaced the ECC cartridge but it did not help.

So I took it apart myself and found that the ECC cartridge control rod was slightly loose as the locking ring that held it on the outside was too thin.
    I added a shim underneath the ring and suddenly it was very quite.
    The shim fell after a couple of weeks and I decided to bend the locking ring a bit to give it some "thickness", it is quite ever since.
    A different angle on bikes:
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

qwf

Sep 2004
    I eventually shipped the fork back to assistance (I broke the positive camera after 100 hours of light riding). After assistance everything was fine and the fork is plusher and much more enjoyable than before, the ECC now works perfectly.

Nov 2005

Ratling

Hello i just baught a marzo am sl and i do have this noise every time the fork is coming up after compression, on a french forum they said it is coming from the TST cartridge and if you fasten the rebound the noise will go away i will try that tomorow but i am not relly happy with that.
    WHERE CAN I GET A MANUAL HOW TO DISASEMBLE THE FORK???

OK i tryed to fasten the rebound and it magically worked no more ratling this 45 km where really good even with just +2CELCIUS it is supose to snow tomorrow

Aniway when it was ratling i was 3 cliks away from the maximum slow position
    i put it 8 cliks away mid range and during the ride i turned one more now i am 7 cliks and still have no noise
    But what the purpose of having some really slow setings if you can t use them.
    Last edited by EMMANUEL15; 11-23-2005 at 10:36 AM.

qwf

Sep 2004
    Have you tried on the Marzocchi website? Anyway if it is brand new it should be covered by the warrancy. I'd ship it baack to your national distributor for assistance.