Ranking order of Rock Shox- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ranking order of Rock Shox

I am getting ready to upgrade from my Dart 2 100mm Fork to something a bit better. I have never upgraded a fork before. I don't havemuch money to spend, ideally as close to 200-300 as possible. Can anyone tell me the rank of Rock Shox. As in, the order from least expensive to most expensive. I've been searching ebay and such and find great deals on Tora 302's and Recon, but i don't knoiw how they actually stack up in comparison to my Dart 2.

I ride a 2009 Gary Fish Marlin Disc. I has the G2 frame, but i don't have the money to put a g2 shock on. I'm 6'4 210lbs. I ride anything that I can in florida. I'm not a newb by any means, but I'm not a jumper either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

What you are looking for....

is a "Cross Country" or "Trail" Fork. So we'll stick to that catagory. Rock Shox XC forks are the Dart, Tora, Recon, Reba, and SID. That's the order of cost, quality, and performance. For a good solid "you won't believe the difference" upgrade over your Dart, I'd say go with a Recon if you can find one in your price range. Just be cautious in buying a used fork. You never know how it was used/abused by it's previous owner. A great deal on a 1 year old used Recon at $250, isn't so great a deal if once you get it you discover that you have to put $130 worth of work into it to make is safe and rideable. If that should happen you'd have been money ahead by just buying a brand new Recon Solo Air for $425. That's why I rarely buy a used fork unless it is locally from someone that I know. I don't like surprises like that.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Thanks Squash. The forks I look at on ebay are all brand new. I wouldn't buy a used fork without knowing all the dtails. But I am 99% sure i would't buy a used fork anyway. But thanks, that clears it right up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You want a model of the Recon or Tora that has motion control. I do not know the changes RS made, but previously those were the Tora 318 and the Recon 351.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    You want a model of the Recon or Tora that has motion control. I do not know the changes RS made, but previously those were the Tora 318 and the Recon 351.
    this is correct - don't even bother w/ the 302 or lower versions

The Tora 318 and the Recon 351 are nearly identical btw
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mbtr member
    ok, check it son

fork name refers to the chassis
    dart has steel 28mm stanchions- flexy and heavy
    tora has steel 32mm stanchions and a fat crown- stiff and heavy
    recon has aluminum 32mm stanchions and a fat crown- lighter and almost as stiff
    revelation has almost the same chassis as recon
    reba has almost the same chassis, slightly lighter crown and less travel
    sid has the lightest technologies
    pike, new rev has a very robust crown and a 20mm through axle lowers- very stiff, somewhat heavy

Then theres 3 dampers, and not all of them are available on every model
    turnkey lockout- oil pushed through an oriface- the least smooth feeling
    motion control- oil pushed through an oriface with a blow-off if you smack a rock- very smooth but can dive through travel if you mash the brakes, riding with lockout is harsh
    motion control with floodgate- you choose how much force it takes to open the blow off valve- you can make this damper feel how ever you want

And on top of that, there's a couple different spring options
    coil u-turn- heavy, plush, travel adjust, a pain to tune but you only have to do it once
    solo air- easy to set up but not very tune-able
    dual air- a little harder to set up (more options) but very adjustable
    dual air uturn- adds travel adjust

so, pick the chassis you want, pick the damper you want, and pick the spring you want. If it makes sense, RS produces it. They don't stick fancy features in the minimalist chassis or lightweight features in the heavy chassis though.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Icyclesusa.com has the Tora 318 for 200.00

mtbr member
    Here is a Tora 302 U-Turn for 150

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/191...oil-U-Turn.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    ok, check it son

tora has steel 32mm stanchions and a fat crown- stiff and heavy
    recon has aluminum 32mm stanchions and a fat crown- lighter and almost as stiff
    revelation has almost the same chassis as recon
    reba has almost the same chassis, slightly lighter crown and less travel
    sid has the lightest technologies
    pike, new rev has a very robust crown and a 20mm through axle lowers- very stiff, somewhat heavy

Then theres 3 dampers, and not all of them are available on every model
    turnkey lockout- oil pushed through an oriface- the least smooth feeling
    motion control- oil pushed through an oriface with a blow-off if you smack a rock- very smooth but can dive through travel if you mash the brakes, riding with lockout is harsh
    motion control with floodgate- you choose how much force it takes to open the blow off valve- you can make this damper feel how ever you want

And on top of that, there's a couple different spring options
    coil u-turn- heavy, plush, travel adjust, a pain to tune but you only have to do it once
    solo air- easy to set up but not very tune-able
    dual air- a little harder to set up (more options) but very adjustable
    dual air uturn- adds travel adjust

so, pick the chassis you want, pick the damper you want, and pick the spring you want. If it makes sense, RS produces it. They don't stick fancy features in the minimalist chassis or lightweight features in the heavy chassis though.
    Informative post

Fyi, turnkey models also have a blow-off valve for hard hits while locked out.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thanks for the info guys! So it sounds like for the best bang-for-the-buck, the Tora 318 is the one to get?

Oct 2007
    dont buy anything lower than a tora 318.. even though its a budget fork, the 318 really rides pretty amazing. its VERY stiff. bang for the buck, it offers a gallon of performance.. you just pay a bit of penalty in weight.

rockshoxs are so cheap and easy to service, i wouldnt really hesitate to buy a used one. if it externally checks out, no scratches on the uppers or dents, its a good buy. the damper unit is the most expensive piece, and its only 50 bucks. i sold a used dual air reba race for 200 bucks. excellent fork! you can snatch up pikes, revs and recons for around 200 used, in working condition..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just bought a Tora 318 and rode for the first time on it last week. I couldn't believe the difference it made over the Dart 3 it replaced. Icycles has some 2008 left overs for $200.

mtbr member
    http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3935096

What do you guys think about this one? When you talk about the "Dampers", you mentioned that there are three types. The turnkey lockout you mentioned was the worst. This fork has the turnkey version which I'm assuming is the same as what my Dart 2 has. Now, I never use lockout (used 1 time), so does it really matter what damper it has for me? I just want to worry about the spring, right?

mtbr member
    Also, when measuring the size of my current steer tube, where to where do i measure? If ithelps, i'm on a 09' Fisher Marlin Disc. It's the XL size.

Former Bike Wrench
    That is using the turn key damper (ie the 302 damper)...spend the extra bucks and get either the Tora Race (max 100mm) or 318 Tora

Here's an OEM 2008 Tora 318 Solo Air for $180

Spice
    Dec 2008
    just measure from the top... to where the crown race sits and where the steerer tube joins into the crown (the bottom),

mtbr member
    May 2009
    remember, on ebay you don't get the all-important warranty.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    remember, on ebay you don't get the all-important warranty.
    WRONG

I have warrantied a few parts I purchased on E-Bay with the manufacturers...they never said a word about it. As long as they are purchased new from a dealer (such as the link I sent is) then they get full warranty from the manufacturer

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, some extra information comparing the 302 and 318 toras.

I cracked mine (318) and my gf's (302) open last weekend.

Major difference is....the damperunit! The rebound damper looks the same, and are most likely swapable...The minor difference is, for some reason there are no foam oil ring below the seals on the 302 and apparently from what I've read, the bushings aren't servicable on the 302 but are in the 318, which isn't really a big deal imo, when your bushings are worn on your 302, go buy a better fork

Side note: if your bike comes stock with a 302 fork, just buy the motion control unit for 60$ and enjoy your much better fork.
    I don't wear a helmet, I wear a turban protector!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    ok, check it son

Flex?
    FLEX?

Honestly my Dart 2 was some of the stiffest forks i ever rode!
    Before i got my first proper DH/FR bike, i did it all (DH/FR/DJ) on my 07 Giant Yukon
    The darts where so simple, nothing went wrong with them. I rode them of 4 foot drops to flat, numerous casings and even riding them completely submerged in water, and not once had any complaint outta them

And they held up ALOT better than the 2 08 66 RCV's and the 09 RC3 ive gone through....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nick, if you liked the you'd love Tora's or Reba's there stiffer and nicer honest.

Marz's have lost it sadly, it's sad when base range RS forks are better than Marz top range forks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    can you put a motion control unit in a tora 289 u-turn?

Aug 2009
    My '08 Scott Scale 50 came with an OE Tora 302. It is not U-turn or have motion control I believe. Can I add a motion control unit? Where can I get one?
    Thx,
    BN

The White Jeff W
    Yeah, two months later but what the hell...I replaced the Dart fork on my Marlin with a Manitou R7 MRD. They go on ebay under $300 bucks. As I recall it's roughly 3 lbs lighter than the Dart.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Weight isn't everything, I've ridden a Lower range R7 aweful fork barely moved, crap rebound.

You should bought a Reba similar money, slightly heavier, much better performance.

Motion Control only gives you, compression damping and threshold blow off damping, I never use my lockout so personally I say don't bother, I know racers who have the motion control taken out to save weight LOL

Members who have read this thread: 3