Question on changing my front fork to a Marzocchi all moutain 2- Mtbr.com
    Registered Jong

Question on changing my front fork to a Marzocchi all moutain 2

I currently own an almost all stock giant pistol 2 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11278 there are the specs for it, and i was wondering if I need anything such as a new headset or other parts in order to put this fork that i want on my bike. here are the specs for the fork http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/de...DOggetto=28060

EDR
    "Durable 5" travel single pivot design provides fully active wheel travel and is geometry optimized for the 4" travel fork. ".....-this quote is from the Giant site and you want to put a 150mm fork on it?

Not saying it can't be done but it may goof up the geometry up front making it handle funny to say nothing of the potentially added stress on the headtube from the new 'raked out' geo... I would email giant about putting a fork of this length on that bike and see what they say (I have a pretty good idea )

EDIT: I see Giant spec's the Pistol 1 with a 130mm fork so I don't know what they are trying to say about this bike..... go for it, you shouldn't need anything special. Just pop and swap, have the steerer cut by the lbs if you want.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 07-05-2006 at 09:21 AM.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    "Durable 5" travel single pivot design provides fully active wheel travel and is geometry optimized for the 4" travel fork. ".....-this quote is from the Giant site and you want to put a 150mm fork on it?

Not saying it can't be done but it may goof up the geometry up front making it handle funny to say nothing of the potentially added stress on the headtube from the new 'raked out' geo... I would email giant about putting a fork of this length on that bike and see what they say (I have a pretty good idea )

EDIT: I see Giant spec's the Pistol 1 with a 130mm fork so I don't know what they are trying to say about this bike..... go for it, you shouldn't need anything special. Just pop and swap, have the steerer cut by the lbs if you want.
    I agree that they are being pretty contradictory. My best guess is that you would want to keep the fork at about 5", the same travel as the rear.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Registered Jong
    thanks guys, i did end up calling the company and they said it would be ok if i did that but that fork would be the absolute maximum

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol2Ne
    thanks guys, i did end up calling the company and they said it would be ok if i did that but that fork would be the absolute maximum
    If possible get an adjustable travel fork that goes down to ~100mm like the Tora U-turn on the pistol1, this really helps for climbing. If you get the AM2 you might suffer if you pedal uphill on anything steep.

Members who have read this thread: 0