Q about shock fit- Mtbr.com

Nov 2008

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Q about shock fit

Hey all Sorry for the beginner question but i figured this be a better area for it. I currently have a 2006 kona dawg with a 5" vanilla R coil in the back. I am looking into purchasing an air shock and have a chance to grab Manitou Radium R 7.875"x2" for only $25 bucks. My problem is I do not know how to measure to make sure it will fit my bike? If you could please give me some instructions on how to do so, or if you know that it will fit that would be awesome. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbSupply
    Hey all Sorry for the beginner question but i figured this be a better area for it. I currently have a 2006 kona dawg with a 5" vanilla R coil in the back. I am looking into purchasing an air shock and have a chance to grab Manitou Radium R 7.875"x2" for only $25 bucks. My problem is I do not know how to measure to make sure it will fit my bike? If you could please give me some instructions on how to do so, or if you know that it will fit that would be awesome. Thanks!
    You need the eye-to-eye measurement and the stroke length.

On your current shock, measure from the center of one mounting bolt to the center of the other. This is the eye-to-eye measurement. If that measurement is 7.875", then there's a good chance that it'll work.

The other important measurement is stroke length. It will probably be easier to search the web to find out what the stroke length is for your bike, but if you can't find that information, you can determine it empirically by taking the shock off the bike, then taking the spring off, and compressing the shock. If you then measure the eye-to-eye of the fully compressed shock and subtract that number from the fully extended eye-to-eye measurement determined earlier, this will be very close to the stroke length. I say "very close" because there may be an internal bottom out bumper that you won't be able to compress even with the spring off. Anyway, in this case, if the stroke length is 2", then you're good to go with that inexpensive shock that you found.

EDIT: Oh, and that 5" mentioned in the description of your current shock likely refers to the total travel of the bike and has nothing to do with the shock itself.

Members who have read this thread: 0