PUSH tune with EVOL can- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

PUSH tune with EVOL can

I just did this for my Factory CTD on my TBLT.
    It was a tough decision to go this route, since it is not cheap. $200 for the tune, another $80 for the can, figure 300 bucks after shipping etc.

But so far, I am happy with it!

I had to up my pressure from 180 to 220 to get the proper sag, and went for a rocky rooty ride.

There is a very noticeable difference in small bump compliance, with small and medium bumps almost disappearing under me. Very smooth. The first 1/3 of travel is super compliant, and it seemed like I was using more travel, but the O ring was actually moving less than it used to.

With bigger bumps, I get a nice firm springy feel. It feels like it ramps up more quickly, and is very supportive. Again, it felt more compliant but was using less travel.

So I've only done 1 test ride and I didn't do any real hard hits, so right now I'm wondering how hard of a hit will it take to get full travel.

I know they used volume spacers, so I can reduce the ramp up if I need to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PUSH tune with EVOL can-20151107_144611.jpg  

mtbr member
    I also want to acknowledge the service and the nice people of PUSH. when I first contacted them via email, it took a few days for Darren to get back to me, which did not give me a good first impression. But I understand small business and when he did respond he gave me a nice detailed response to all my questions.

I sent the shock in. They said they are averaging about 3 days turn around time, but they didn't have the Evol can in stock.
    When they received my shock, Matt gave me a call and we discussed my expectations and he agreed with Darren that Evol would be a good way to go.

So I mailed the shock on Monday, talked to Matt on Thursday, they received the Evol cans the following Monday and did the tune that same day and I had my shock back by Wednesday. 9 day turn around.

So I would say I was treated well and had a positive experience with them.

mtbr member
    Inside the package, you can see they sent a bunch of different stickers. I decided to go with the one medium sized black and white "P" on the side. The Evol can does not come with Fox stickers, but they said they would get some and mail them to me, but I don't know if I'll use them or not.

they also sent the old can, and a bag of seals and other parts they took out. It looks like the boost valve is in there, the old piston, some shims, and a bunch of seals. Crazy how many seals are in a little shock like that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PUSH tune with EVOL can-20151104_192904.jpg  

PUSH tune with EVOL can-20151104_192918.jpg  

mtbr member
    Glad to see a tune with an evol can. Not enough people go the custom route. I went FTC in the fall with my stock can because the evol can wouldn't produce a desirable result with my frame.
    TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    More testing and still happy with the new performance. I find myself riding differently, using the rear suspension and pushing into landings rather than being passive and just letting the suspension do what it does.
    I upped the pressure to 230 and its still sagging a bit too much. It feels good, but should be better when I get the sag dialed. Probably will need 240 - 250 up from 185 with the old can, which is more of a jump than I expected.

Dusting Trails
    I sent Push an email today asking them what they could do with my 2014 Fox CTD Evolution fork and shock. I heard they recently started adding Fox's Evolution Series to their list of suspension upgrades and I'm interested in making my Evolution Series better. Hopefully they can do something to make my suspension feel more responsive. I'm encouraged by your positive experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matuchi View Post
    I sent Push an email today asking them what they could do with my 2014 Fox CTD Evolution fork and shock. I heard they recently started adding Fox's Evolution Series to their list of suspension upgrades and I'm interested in making my Evolution Series better. Hopefully they can do something to make my suspension feel more responsive. I'm encouraged by your positive experience.
    Good luck! I hadn't heard that PUSH was doing any mods to the Evolution series. You can also check with Avalanche Suspension. They talk about the Evolution shock mod on their website.

Dusting Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Good luck! I hadn't heard that PUSH was doing any mods to the Evolution series. You can also check with Avalanche Suspension. They talk about the Evolution shock mod on their website.
    I was looking on the Avalanche website and they only do the Evoluton shock. I'm hoping to send my fork and shock in at the same time to keep my bike's downtime to a minimum. My riding bud said he called Push and they just started doing mods on the Evolution Series last week.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are no mods for the evolution forks, you need FIT damper.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Dusting Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    There are no mods for the evolution forks, you need FIT damper.
    Thanks - does Push do that modification?
    Last edited by matuchi; 11-26-2015 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks - does Push so that modification?
    I think maybe Fox offers the upgrade?

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...th-941042.html

Dusting Trails
    I think maybe Fox offers the upgrade?

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...th-941042.html
    Fox offers it - but I was planning to send my shock to Push for an upgrade and hoped they could do them both at the same time - maybe even upgrade the shock with the fork upgrade in mind. Once I get an email back from Push I'll know for sure what they can do.

Dusting Trails
    I sent my fork and shock to Push for a service and the FIT4 damper. It will be nice to have some decent suspension instead of the wooden feel of the stock Evolution suspension.

mtbr member
    I sent my fork and shock to Push for a service and the FIT4 damper. It will be nice to have some decent suspension instead of the wooden feel of the stock Evolution suspension.
    Please report back and let us know how it works out for you!

Dusting Trails
    I sure will!

I talked to Rich for a long time yesterday before I sent it and we discussed a lot of things - my weight, riding style etc. - so I am very excited about getting my shock and fork back.

If they can perform their magic on the Evolution Series suspension I feel a lot of Evolution owners will benifit from getting their suspension Pushed.

Dusting Trails
    It worked out great - it really transformed my bike! It climbed better and felt like it was on rails on the bumpy and rocky downhill. It was so smooth going down the mountain I actually was riding much faster than I normally do and found out I was going too fast on one of the tightest corners where I had to scrub off some some major speed. I am so happy with how it rides - it's like a whole new bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    looking to upgrade my old 34 float ctd, how much was the damper upgrade? did you get the air side done also? custom tune? thanks.......

mtbr member
    I'm also wondering if any of the older Fox 34's can be retrofitted to the new FIT 4 damper and air spring side with volume spacers. If so, I would think that could be done through FOX without PUSH, but how would that compare to what PUSH has done with Matuchi's fork?

Dusting Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
    looking to upgrade my old 34 float ctd, how much was the damper upgrade? did you get the air side done also? custom tune? thanks.......
    Below is the link to Push - Call them and ask what they can do for you. I was talking to Darren on Friday and he said they haven't upgraded their website to show all the new things they can do - the Evolution Series suspension upgrades was only one of them.

PUSH Industries

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Fox have now released a retrofit 2016 airspring to use in the 2013-2015 34's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was looking on the Avalanche website and they only do the Evolution shock. I'm hoping to send my fork and shock in at the same time to keep my bike's downtime to a minimum. My riding bud said he called Push and they just started doing mods on the Evolution Series last week.
    We offer our SSD/HSB mods to the Boost Valve Float shocks as well as the Non-Boost Valve Evolution and DPS shocks. We have offered Evolution mods for over a year now. We also offer open bath cartridge damper upgrades for the Fox 34 Evolution forks as well.

Float CTD and RP23 SSD Modifications

Non-Boost Valve:
    Float Evolution and Performance SSD HSB Modifications

Fox 34 Open Bath Cartridge Kit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Fox have now released a retrofit 2016 airspring to use in the 2013-2015 34's.
    Hard to find info on this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hard to find info on this.
    Nope:

FORK- 2012-2015 34mm- Upgrading to the FLOAT NA Air Spring | Bike Help Center | FOX

The Riddler
    Heard from PUSH today that they will not be offering a tune/service for the EVOL DPS shock.

Has anyone had Avalanche perform their EVOL SSD modification in either the "descend" or "pedal" option? How did the before/after compare? Seems like this and a standard Fox tune are the only options?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post
    Heard from PUSH today that they will not be offering a tune/service for the EVOL DPS shock.

Has anyone had Avalanche perform their EVOL SSD modification in either the "descend" or "pedal" option? How did the before/after compare? Seems like this and a standard Fox tune are the only options?
    When I looked into it Craig indicated that Fox CTD was a better platform for the SSD mod. Not that it won't work as both shocks require the same internal mods, but the DPS requires a few more parts for the conversion. That, and the 1,2,3 adjustment after the modification is at the firm end of the adjustment rather than the middle of the adjustment lever. I presume this is because the Evol can makes the initial stroke feel too soft and requires high pressure to set the sag.

Sounds like a bit of a compromise to me and no doubt the DPS Evol is a considerable improvement over the CTD shock. Maybe Craig will chime in and provide more info. For sure, the CTD shock with the SSD mod was a huge improvement over stock.

The Riddler
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    When I looked into it Craig indicated that Fox CTD was a better platform for the SSD mod. Not that it won't work as both shocks require the same internal mods, but the DPS requires a few more parts for the conversion. That, and the 1,2,3 adjustment after the modification is at the firm end of the adjustment rather than the middle of the adjustment lever. I presume this is because the Evol can makes the initial stroke feel too soft and requires high pressure to set the sag.

Sounds like a bit of a compromise to me and no doubt the DPS Evol is a considerable improvement over the CTD shock. Maybe Craig will chime in and provide more info. For sure, the CTD shock with the SSD mod was a huge improvement over stock.
    Hmmm...I'd be interested in making the DPS EVOL a bit firmer at a 30% sag setting. Is that the basic idea behind the avalanche tune? Increase dampening at a given air pressure? Would this also make the pedal platform even stiffer?

mtbr member
    Hmmm...I'd be interested in making the DPS EVOL a bit firmer at a 30% sag setting. Is that the basic idea behind the avalanche tune? Increase dampening at a given air pressure? Would this also make the pedal platform even stiffer?
    I'm not sure. I'm using one as a spare shock on an Ibis Ripley and to be honest it's a very good shock with a higher quality damper than the CTD. Maybe it flows more oil but I have no idea. The rebound circuit is also better with a faster deep stroke recovery with slower return at top out. For my application on a DW link bike the ride quality is pretty good for off the shelf. I have no doubt that Craig can make it better. My point was that the difference might be more subtle than with the CTD.

Just recently pulled the trigger and sending my Ripley LS Evol DPS shock to Avalanche. Will be a couple weeks before I get to ride it but will report back. Craig says it will be a very substantial improvement... hoping it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    Just recently pulled the trigger and sending my Ripley LS Evol DPS shock to Avalanche. Will be a couple weeks before I get to ride it but will report back. Craig says it will be a very substantial improvement... hoping it is.
    How did that work out for you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Make that two people that are curious. 200$ is about halfway to a new shock and I have heard one disappointed review of a pushed and evol'd CTD, curious if the DPS is any different

Quote Originally Posted by VonFalkenhausen View Post
    How did that work out for you?
    Only have a few rides on it and still have some tweaking to do.

Most noticeable differences at this point are much reduced stiffness in trail and climb settings. The 3 positions are finer tuned closer to open mode and only change around 5% each from open. You lose the lock out and trail setting is much more open.

Second is I was able to remove a volume spacer and still have pretty good bottom out resistance with the new HSC tune which gives a bit more linear feel throughout travel. Not night and day but better, a plus with 120mm of travel.

Still looking to dial it in more with a fresh set of air can seals and play with psi some. Hoping to improve small bump and traction in loose over hard.