Push Industries unwarranted?- Mtbr.com
    nocturnal oblivion

Push Industries unwarranted?

Poor seals and no warranty? My race tuned Vanilla RC shock was recieved from Push but sat unused for a year due to injury followed by new XC bike. Now I jump back on the AM bike and the newly Pushed shock is blown! Push says I need a rebuild for $110, they tell me a seal cracked. Apparently there is no warranty. I am sure some LBS bikes/shocks sit unridden for a long time and the seals don't get dry & crack...they're inside a shock, what gives? Does Push use "delicate" seals?

...idios...
    As with any components, sometimes something will fail. Perhaps you had a defective seal that would have been noticed straight away had you ridden the shock when it came back from PUSH. I would imagine that had that been the case, you would have a warranty with no questions asked.

PUSH, to my knowledge, are not know for delicate seals - why did you put it in quotes? Apart from you, who said it? - or delicate mods. On the contrary, they have a very, very good reputation, not only for the performance of their mods, but also the standard of their components. They haven't earned that reputation by accident.

I'm sure you'll find people who have had problems, but for the most part you're going to find satisfied riders - myself included - with big fat grins from riding on suspension which is remarkably better than stock.

PUSH is represented on MTBR, so we/you can probably expect something from the horse's mouth.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

SC Junkie

Push

Well here it goes, I have never had a bad experience with PUSH. I have seen a few problems and they have all been taken care of ASAP at no charge. They do indeed warranty there work. Most of the people knocking there service have never tried it. This really cracks me up! I here people saying stuff like, why should I have to pay ex amount for a product and then spend more $ to get it to work properly. Why not ask Fox and Sram? Any person who has tried the service already knows! As you can tell I am a huge fan. Let the flames begin!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Poor seals and no warranty? My race tuned Vanilla RC shock was recieved from Push but sat unused for a year due to injury followed by new XC bike. Now I jump back on the AM bike and the newly Pushed shock is blown! Push says I need a rebuild for $110, they tell me a seal cracked. Apparently there is no warranty. I am sure some LBS bikes/shocks sit unridden for a long time and the seals don't get dry & crack...they're inside a shock, what gives? Does Push use "delicate" seals?
    It depends on the warrenty period. If it's within, you're good, if it's not, you're screwed. I'm sure the warrenty doesn't say "must be used on bike within 6 months", but on the other hand as other people stated, the seals do dry out and with no use it would eventually degrade.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    stumblemumble,

Sounds like we need to get the shock in to have a look so we can see what the issue is. The person you spoke with on the phone might have suggested that's what the problem is, but without seeing the shock it's hard to say. The Vanilla RC is a VERY reliable unit so there must be something to this.

Drop me a note so I can look up your info and get an RA going. Once we get it in our hands we'll be able to give you a full diagnosis. It shouldn't take but a day in-house to get you back going.

Darren
    [email protected]

TNC
    noMAD man
    Well, it didn't shock me...pun intended...that Darren personally intervened here. stumblemumble, what was the warranty period for your shock according to the terms at the time of service? If the warranty expired during the period you didn't use the shock, why should that be PUSH's problem?...or any other service provider or manufacturer? I can see all manner of open-ended issues cropping up if consumers were just able to claim no use during the warranty period...not to suggest that your claim isn't true.

That said, I've had shocks of my own sit for that long and still function just fine. I have a PUSH'd RC with the full Race System on a Nomad that gets used only occasionally to backup an ISX-6, and it's still working like a charm...over 1.5 years now, I believe. I like to use the shock once in awhile just to get a different perspective. It's on there now. I had to send it back in within the 90 day retune period for a rebound damping tweak to better fit my needs, and PUSH handled that excellently. I'm sure they'll treat you properly in this case, but they probably owe you nothing if the warranty is up.

nocturnal oblivion
    I certainly was not knocking Push, I looked online and found no specific warranty. That said the service I've recieved from Push is exceptionally outstanding. They do go above and beyond with suspension service & customer service. As I said though I couldn't understand how a shock can sit in a display case without going bad, just my thought. As Darren pointed out it may not be a cracked seal. Paying for a full rebuild when it is known that the bushings and most likely most if not all seals are new is a bit overkill, although I am not suggesting inferior seals, as with all bike products longevity is often compromised for performamce. I'll send it in as Darren suggests and hopefully the problem is not extensive.

mtbr member

Good job! Hear, hear!

As the manager of a bike shop (that happens to be about 500 yards away from PUSH's facilities) and a long-time user of PUSH modifications, I usually tell people that the number one reason I use PUSH is the increased durability factor as a result of their work. Closely following, and integrated into that durability factor is the custom tuning and the constant, consistent, and persistent quest over there for R & D to make their own products and services even better!

I think you have already seen that 'da man himself has weighed in already, which is not a surprise to me at all; PUSH is a benchmark for what customer service in the bike industry really should be, but isn't........yet.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    PUSH is a benchmark for what customer service in the bike industry really should be, but isn't........yet.
    Well, yes and no. I have gotten good customer service from the crew at Push. But, and it is a big but, it comes at a price. Cold hard cash is shelled out to improve products. In some cases beyond what the average consumer can even perceive. At that level there is more hand holding required The factory tuning systems are typically a good margin of the way towards purchasing a whole new shock or fork. That is real money.

I wouldn't say that I want or need that level of care on the rest of my bicycle components, especially at the expense required to do so

To the OP, a year is a year regardless of use. Buying NOS items can save a lot of money, but rarely is there a warranty on shelved items beyond the original manufacturers terms. I have no doubt that push will do right by you, within reason.

Personally I will continue to use aftermarket suspension tuners. Having properly tuned shocks makes the ride much better
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Well, yes and no. I have gotten good customer service from the crew at Push. But, and it is a big but, it comes at a price. Cold hard cash is shelled out to improve products. In some cases beyond what the average consumer can even perceive. At that level there is more hand holding required The factory tuning systems are typically a good margin of the way towards purchasing a whole new shock or fork. That is real money.

I wouldn't say that I want or need that level of care on the rest of my bicycle components, especially at the expense required to do so

To the OP, a year is a year regardless of use. Buying NOS items can save a lot of money, but rarely is there a warranty on shelved items beyond the original manufacturers terms. I have no doubt that push will do right by you, within reason.

Personally I will continue to use aftermarket suspension tuners. Having properly tuned shocks makes the ride much better
    AL...I don't care how much money you pay me. I'm not holding your hand.

Members who have read this thread: 0