PUSH/Darren, 90 degree air valve?- Mtbr.com
    TNC
    noMAD man

PUSH/Darren, 90 degree air valve?

Darren, can you tell me if the schrader valve in the piggyback of the DHX shock series is a conventionally threaded valve...like what most shocks are using for their main chamber. On the Specialized forum we've been discussing the problem of off-the-shelf DHX shocks, and specifically their boost valves, not fitting in the '05/'06 Enduro frames...or at least not being assessible for air pressure service without removing the shock.

I have a 90 degree valve assembly designed for different brands of shocks so that you can gain access to the filler schrader valve--pic included. I've been wondering why Fox and Specialized don't have some form of 90 degree valve for the Specialized Enduro and probably other brands who could utilize this feature...without having to run a proprietary shock from Fox. It would seem a win/win situation for Fox, Specialized, and probably other frame manufacturers to provide this option for off-the-shelf DHX shocks. I realize there may other issues at work that have precluded this, and maybe you could shed some light on it for us. BTW, I've considered the issue of the boost valve adjusting collar, but it seems that shouldn't be a problem. The 90 degree schrader valve could be removed if collar removal is necessary, but this wouldn't seem to be a very frequent or even necessary step for most. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Valve

TNC,

I've had a good look at the shock setup on the new Enduro and there's really no room to work with. The end cap of the reservoir is just too close to the seat spar. Adjusting the pressure is pretty much out of the question on that application.

Sorry,

Darren

TNC
    noMAD man

Thanks for reply.

Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    TNC,

I've had a good look at the shock setup on the new Enduro and there's really no room to work with. The end cap of the reservoir is just too close to the seat spar. Adjusting the pressure is pretty much out of the question on that application.

Sorry,

Darren
    Well, that was fast. Many thanks for the heads up. As things stand from an OEM standpoint, I think you're right, but I noticed something on the Enduro/SX deal. The SX uses a different removeable front shock mount that allows the shock to sit further forward...and obviously it's a longer shock. It's what allows a DHX coil to fit in an SX frame, although of course, it has no boost valve. I see some leeway for bolting up aftermarket off-the-shelf DHX shocks if the boost valve issue were addressed with a 90 degree boost valve. Also, we have an '06 Enduro on the floor at the shop with a DHX Air 3.0 installed. I held my off-the-shelf DHX Air next to this OEM setup, and it appeared it would have worked with a 90 degree valve. Just for grins I'm thinking of trying to come up with something on my own. Do you happen to know if the threading in the piggyback for the DHX boost valve is the same as the conventional air valves like most schrader filler valves have? You and your folks probably do about as much rear shock repair, disassembly, and mods as anyone, so I hoped to get as an informed perspective as possible. Uh, and oh...that DHX schrader boost valve is removeable, isn't it? Maybe that should be the first logical question...LOL! And please understand that I'm asking your knowledge on this and not your responsibility. Anything I venture into in this project is my nickel and my headache...or benefit. I realize that changes in production or other factors can't guarantee uniformity in all of these parts. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0