PROJECT PUSH Vanilla/RP3 on Spotty- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,983

    PROJECT PUSH Vanilla/RP3 on Spotty

    Finally fed up with the lukewarm performance of my 5-spot I decided to get a full PUSH upgrade and get a PUSH Vanilla plus RP3 (and Marta 180/160 ... a new bike ...

    Most of the comparison between PUSH and standard verstion of the Vanilla can be found here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...00#post1298700

    Here I mostly comment on the PUSH RP3 in comparison with my ROMIC and a standard RP3. A lot is pretty much equivalent to what other have said about PUSH.

    Three position lever: Main difference with the standard RP3 is the very large diffeence between settings. Plush is Plush (lovely for downhill and for the end-of-ride-sore-butt-time), in the middle is where I ride, and Max Platform let me jump on the pedals and hammer better. The nice thing is that the positions are all fully usable. You can go around in the plush and be very happy. ADVANTAGE PUSH.

    Climbing. RP3, ROMIC and PUSH RP3 climb about the same when put at max platfor, still the PUSH is much more reactive (I don't know how they manage to do so) and there is less penalty for using the max platform setting. ADVANTAGE PUSH.

    At Speed This is where the PUSH RP3 made a huge difference. It literally transformed the bike. There is level of control in the midstroke that needs to be experienced to be believed. While the ROMIC, and RP3, blew through their travel so much that they gave the impression that the bike was "wobbly", the PUSH seem to put the bike on rails. Smooth. glued to the ground, nothing seems to perturb it: the same words I used for the Vanilla PUSH. I am trying things that I did not think I could do. HUGE ADVANTAGE PUSH.

    Mid Bumps/Mid speed Some of above. The "support" offered by the push shows in technical situations. Going up stairs, over logs, wheeling uphill are all situations in which one feels a solid platform under his legs: push on the pedals and the bike moves smoothly forward, instead of sagging and supping energy. (I found myslef climbing of the saddle on the rear wheel only at a certain point ... could not believe it it was actually working) ADVANTAGE PUSH.

    Small Bumps/low speed For all shocks the performance depends on the setting of the platform. Spotty is not good with small bumps and it suffers a bit no matter what shock you use. I still give the small advantage to PUSH in respect to RP3 because in the mid and plush setting it almost erases small obstacles, while the RP3 is quite bad. Romic is fine, better than RP3.

    Adjustabiltiy The ROMIC is sort of ok, for the RP3 I found the lever adjustments useless, and the PUSH ... oh well I won't go in another list of semi-histerical compliments they just work as they should ... Adantage: PUSH

    PROBLEMS It would be great to have more options for the Vanilla Springs. Although the 150-180 springs, I forget the color, seem to work fine at my 150 pounds weight, I love to fidget and it would be nice to be able to do so ... maybe PUSH can get some springs built to fine tune the Vanilla?

    COMMENTS: VANILLA/FLOAT PLATFORM: there is a huge correlation between spring rate and effectivness of the platform. If I put in the lower rate spring the platform simply does not work as well ... it is too easy to overwelme it. Just a reminder for people that notice a lukewarm performance of the PUSH platform: too little spring/pressure ... no platform!

    ... and that's it once again: PUSH ARE THE BEST PRODUCTS I EVER BOUGHT


    and the photos are some of the worse things ... they are i-sight captures and it shows!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Davide; 03-26-2007 at 03:46 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,061

    Thanks again for a detailed review!

    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    PROBLEMS It would be great to have more options for the Vanilla Springs. Although the 150-180 springs, I forget the color, seem to work fine at my 150 pounds weight, I love to fidget and it would be nice to be able to do so ...
    I agree. I wish that Fox, PUSH, or somebody would make a 30 lb/in spring for the Vanilla. This would be in between the blue (25 lb/in) and green (35 lb/in) springs.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,983

    Springs - links

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I agree. I wish that Fox, PUSH, or somebody would make a 30 lb/in spring for the Vanilla. This would be in between the blue (25 lb/in) and green (35 lb/in) springs.
    I know, hard to understand why it cannot be done ... it is probably cost of stocking all the springs ... I look around and there are places that make springs in all possible material (including titanium) but the problem might be quantity. Maybe if we organize for a "large" order ...

    http://www.acewirespring.com/ace-wir...ngs/index.html

    fortunately enough I am now about 5mm from bottoming the fork when I drop about 3' at speed to flat which is probably just about right, so maybe I don't need to fidget ...

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    32,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    Small Bumps/low speed For all shocks the performance depends on the setting of the platform. Spotty is not good with small bumps and it suffers a bit no matter what shock you use. I still give the small advantage to PUSH in respect to RP3 because in the mid and plush setting it almost erases small obstacles, while the RP3 is quite bad. Romic is fine, better than RP3.
    I think you need to try a decent coil shock on the spot before making the assumption that "it suffers no matter what shock you use". The DHX is worlds apart from the romic, and these days we have less examples of good coil shocks that don't have a whole lot of low speed compression damping (platform) ruining the low speed and small bump performance. The DHX does pretty good in this respect, the old vanilla did well (but lacked a lot of tuning features that make current stuff perform much better), the new marzocchi rocco promises to also address this.

    I value suspension performance above most other aspects (like pedaling and firmness), and I can assuredly say that a spot with a nice coil is great at low speed bumps, but you have to use a decent coil shock, not a romic.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,759

    Lukewarm performance

    My Spot was never a lukewarm performer even with a Romic and a Marzocchi Marathon 120mm. My RP3 and Pushed Vanilla are nice but did not revolutionize my ride quality. Each to their own, though....

    Jaybo

  6. #6
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    My Spot was never a lukewarm performer even with a Romic and a Marzocchi Marathon 120mm. My RP3 and Pushed Vanilla are nice but did not revolutionize my ride quality. Each to their own, though....

    Jaybo
    By the way, I believe the DHX coil would work better then the RP3 due to smooth coil over performance. I wish I could find one somewhere...anybody want to trade?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,983

    DHX Coil

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I think you need to try a decent coil shock on the spot before making the assumption that "it suffers no matter what shock you use". The DHX is worlds apart from the romic, and these days we have less examples of good coil shocks that don't have a whole lot of low speed compression damping (platform) ruining the low speed and small bump performance. The DHX does pretty good in this respect, the old vanilla did well (but lacked a lot of tuning features that make current stuff perform much better), the new marzocchi rocco promises to also address this.
    I made the choice to go Rp3 AIR based on the suggestions of people that tried both the DHX and the RP3 Pushed and Darren at Push. See http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...22#post1163022

    Don't get me wrong, we are splitting hair here: in its plushest setting the RP3 PUSH gives excellent small bump compliance, it looses a bit in the mid/max-platform, but it is partly my choice: I like a snappy ride and I use a fair amount of air pressure

    I can see how a DHX will also be good. But I have no interest in trying it out (assuming I could,I am not sure it is in 2.0 coil this year, and it did not use to fit a medium spot).

    The difference betwen a RP3 and a PUSH RP3 is day an night for me, but one should not forget my weight: at 145-150 I am well outside the range of a stock RP3 and I benefit a lot for costum tuning of the shock. Maybe that is why Jaybo found less of an improvement. I personally like the ROMIC better than the standard RP3

    I will no comment much further on the 5-spot because it is just boring and the frame is out of production anyway ... but small bump compliance has always been one of the clinches in its harmor ... a Blur with any shock I tried (float, Float AVA, Rp3) just float on small stuff in comparison ...
    Last edited by Davide; 11-17-2005 at 11:17 PM.

  8. #8
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,759

    Interesting thoughts....

    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    I made the choice to go Rp3 AIR based on the suggestions of people that tried both the DHX and the RP3 Pushed and Darren at Push. See http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...22#post1163022

    Don't get me wrong, we are splitting hair here: in its plushest setting the RP3 PUSH gives excellent small bump compliance, it looses a bit in the mid/max-platform, but it is partly my choice: I like a snappy ride and I use a fair amount of air pressure

    I can see how a DHX will also be good. But I have no interest in trying it out (assuming I could,I am not sure it is in 2.0 coil this year, and it did not use to fit a medium spot).

    The difference betwen a RP3 and a PUSH RP3 is day an night for me, but one should not forget my weight: at 145-150 I am well outside the range of a stock RP3 and I benefit a lot for costum tuning of the shock. Maybe that is why Jaybo found less of an improvement. I personally like the ROMIC better than the standard RP3

    I will no comment much further on the 5-spot because it is just boring and the frame is out of production anyway ... but small bump compliance has always been one of the clinches in its harmor ... a Blur with any shock I tried (float, Float AVA, Rp3) just float on small stuff in comparison ...
    However, I don't think the Spot gives up anything to any bike in small bump compliance compared to the Spot. The only downside to a Spot to me is slightly sluggish climbing (due to a 69 HA) and it is a bit of work in the tight stuff to get a Spot to turn (again, slack geometry). Otherwise a perfect ride for me. Love it.

    The Romic and RP3 are completely different rides, I much prefer the RP3 due to less suspension movement and more adjustability. The Romic does give better small bump comliance due to smooth coil over perfrmance. I am going to have to try a Pushed RP3. Maybe this spring. I appreciate your review. Good stuff.

    Jaybo

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    I will no comment much further on the 5-spot because it is just boring and the frame is out of production anyway ... but small bump compliance has always been one of the clinches in its harmor ... a Blur with any shock I tried (float, Float AVA, Rp3) just float on small stuff in comparison ...
    That's funny Davide, you have a similar impression to me with very similar bikes. My Devinci Banzai is close to a 5spot, a bit more travel (5.75) and a bit more "freeridish" geometry but bot horst link designs. I've been thru a regular Float Propedal, then a Manitou 3way air and then a Push RP3. I was reading your review and I would basically have said the same about the Push RP3 on my bike.

    What is the most intriguing is that we are both not really satisfied with small bump compliance going downhill. I had almost given up a few weeks ago and I was almost decided to get myself the Nomad or a Blur LT. However, I'm now tempted to give my horst link frame one last chance. I have a feeling that with a non platform coil shock, it could finally satisfy me so I'm probably going to get the new Marzo Rocco. I'm still waiting for a few comments on it here before ordering it and anyway I wont be able to use it for a few months, gotta let winter pass!

    Bottom line, I don't know if it's because horst link bikes can't be plush on small bumps no matter what shock but I sure hope they can be because I will regret buying a 4th shock for it. Your comment about the Blur is nothing to reassure me! haha

    Cheers

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,983
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider

    Bottom line, I don't know if it's because horst link bikes can't be plush on small bumps no matter what shock but I sure hope they can be because I will regret buying a 4th shock for it. Your comment about the Blur is nothing to reassure me! haha

    Cheers
    Nice to know we agree! Who knows, it might have to do with travel path and the fact that VPP and DW and (Giant) have a much more vertical one and react better to small impacts ... but ... I leave discussions on paths to the suspension gurus ... I am already getting enough banging on the head for daring to question turner-mithology!

    I had been very tempted to drop the ball and get rid of the 5-spot and get a Blur LT (or maybe the new ISIS DW if and when it comes out) ... but at the same time now with the PUSH the 5-spot works well especially at speed. I am kind of exausted by the process and I am dreading the idea of having to go through all the set up with a new frame ... so ... I'll stop while I am ahead and compose more music instead of wasting my remaining years on this pages!!!!!!!!!

    Have fun with the new shock!
    Last edited by Davide; 11-21-2005 at 06:07 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.