Price on Brand New 2009 Triad rear shock off a new Stumpjumper- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    520

    Price on Brand New 2009 Triad rear shock off a new Stumpjumper

    I have a LBS that will sell me a Brand New wth 1 year warranty Triad Fox shock that came off a Stumpjumper 2009 as original owner upgraded I guess. What is a good price to buy that from as my Triad just blew up and will Push that but want to buy something till the Push'd one come back.

    Thanks..

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte772
    I have a LBS that will sell me a Brand New wth 1 year warranty Triad Fox shock that came off a Stumpjumper 2009 as original owner upgraded I guess. What is a good price to buy that from as my Triad just blew up and will Push that but want to buy something till the Push'd one come back.

    Thanks..
    What's it worth to you ??? Most new air shock's retail for $250 - $350. Ride time vs. down time + value... then it becomes a shelfed back up.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    520
    Wll I got a used rp23 for 200 from someone here so I will use that instead. I could have got the tried new for 175 or a 40 mile used rp23 for 200 and decided to go the later. What are the lines oon the shock that range from small to med to large. The used one is in the middle and I am 170 lbs and ride down in Florida where ot many mountains but technical single tracks with roots everywhere. Also will the extra travel effect the frame in any way? 2008 sj elite

    Should I take out the 20mm spacer in my stock Fox Float 120 rl to match the extra travel in back now or will it make the fork weird without the spacer?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    141
    From your last post i understand you purchased a shock with different dimensions than the one you have currently. You cant just add a shock with a longer stroke to a frame unless the frame has adjustment possibilities for such a change... A new rear shock needs to match the eye-to-eye and stroke lenght of the shock you had on the frame previously. You cant put a rear shock in with a different stroke lenght because it will not fit in the frame. Even if you could get it to fit, it wouldnt work right because you'd have to compress it to squeeze it in. Also, the stroke lenght of a shock doesnt determine travel like it does with forks. The term travel (i.e. 4 inches of travel) for a rear shock refers to the amount of up and down movement of the wheel, and it depends on the leverage ratio how much this will compress your shock. So... maybe you should refrain from buying that rp23 or if you have it already sell it and get a shock of the appropriate dimensions

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    520
    Well my shock Triad is 7.25 x 1.75 and Fox only sells 7.5x2.0 and everyone on the Specialized forum says it works fine so hopefully I will have no problems...

  6. #6
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    Not true...

    Quote Originally Posted by beereppc
    From your last post i understand you purchased a shock with different dimensions than the one you have currently. You cant just add a shock with a longer stroke to a frame unless the frame has adjustment possibilities for such a change... A new rear shock needs to match the eye-to-eye and stroke lenght of the shock you had on the frame previously. You cant put a rear shock in with a different stroke lenght because it will not fit in the frame. Even if you could get it to fit, it wouldnt work right because you'd have to compress it to squeeze it in. Also, the stroke lenght of a shock doesnt determine travel like it does with forks. The term travel (i.e. 4 inches of travel) for a rear shock refers to the amount of up and down movement of the wheel, and it depends on the leverage ratio how much this will compress your shock. So... maybe you should refrain from buying that rp23 or if you have it already sell it and get a shock of the appropriate dimensions
    Well, at least not totally true. You can't make a blanket statement about the use of longer shocks. In the case of the '08/'09 SJ FSR like the OP is talking about, the 7.5 X 2.0 shock works excellently, and the SJ has no provisions for such adjustments. But...SJ's geo and fork combinations make this possible. There are quite a few bikes that will accept a "slightly" longer shock with no real problems if the fork and geo combinations don't get out of hand. That "slightly" reference is usually in the area of about 1/4", though some can be longer on some bikes. The SJ FSR comes with a famous-for-Specialized proprietary sized shock...and not the best one at that...even the Brain models IMO. Regardless, going to a 7.5 X 2.0 off-the-shelf size allows more shock options and increases rear travel. The quality of the RP23, Monarch, and other quality inline shocks is head-and-shoulders above the Triad and tuneability is highly improved. The SJ FSR is a very low bike as delivered...almost too low IMO, as annoying pedal strikes are too common in rocky terrain...so the slightly longer shock actually provides some relief...as well as nearly 20mm more travel. And with a 130mm or 140mm fork, the bike's geo remains within a very reasonable range. I might not recommend this longer shock on the SJ's that have a fixed 120mm fork, but a couple who've done it don't really report any issues.

    Some might get shakey-in-their-boots over warranty and such, but if you have a frame issue at some point, just put the Triad back on and move forward. There's really nothing of any magnitude that's stressing an SJ frame with this mod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Well, at least not totally true. You can't make a blanket statement about the use of longer shocks. In the case of the '08/'09 SJ FSR like the OP is talking about, the 7.5 X 2.0 shock works excellently, and the SJ has no provisions for such adjustments. But...SJ's geo and fork combinations make this possible. There are quite a few bikes that will accept a "slightly" longer shock with no real problems if the fork and geo combinations don't get out of hand. That "slightly" reference is usually in the area of about 1/4", though some can be longer on some bikes. The SJ FSR comes with a famous-for-Specialized proprietary sized shock...and not the best one at that...even the Brain models IMO. Regardless, going to a 7.5 X 2.0 off-the-shelf size allows more shock options and increases rear travel. The quality of the RP23, Monarch, and other quality inline shocks is head-and-shoulders above the Triad and tuneability is highly improved. The SJ FSR is a very low bike as delivered...almost too low IMO, as annoying pedal strikes are too common in rocky terrain...so the slightly longer shock actually provides some relief...as well as nearly 20mm more travel. And with a 130mm or 140mm fork, the bike's geo remains within a very reasonable range. I might not recommend this longer shock on the SJ's that have a fixed 120mm fork, but a couple who've done it don't really report any issues.

    Some might get shakey-in-their-boots over warranty and such, but if you have a frame issue at some point, just put the Triad back on and move forward. There's really nothing of any magnitude that's stressing an SJ frame with this mod.
    I stand corrected in this case! I assumed OP had bought the rp23 without realizing possible problems with shock compatibility. However, I think my blanket statement still holds true, unless there are documented cases of successfully fitting a different sized shock on your specific frame. Some frames may have the tolerances that allow the installation of a slightly larger shock, but many frames dont and it is not advisable 'in general' to purchase a different sized shock.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.