preload spacer Sherman Flick+- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

preload spacer Sherman Flick+

i just mounted up my manitou flick plus with 150 mm travel...wow this thing is buttery smooth...i took a 10 mile ride with it and its almost perfect but the spring is a little soft...i was wondering if anybody has experience putting a small spacer on top of the spring, in order to make the spring act like a heavier weight spring?...it's not like having a better spring but it may work for a while
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

MattSavage
    Yeah, It'd probably work, but the travel adjust might not due to the way the knob seats into the top of the spring. Give it a shot...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    well i popped it open and was dissappointed...the top of the spring has a D shape and the cap has that D shape too...ii was kind of hoping to just drop an inch or 1/2 inch piece of aluminum tubing on top of the spring...

so i bailed on the idea...will order heavier spring next week

but while your here, the compression adjuster doesn't do anything...after opening it up, i see its a needle valve that controls fork oil it appears...full hard or full soft, it doesn't do a thing

what can i do?
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Don't do it.

For a start you'll find it hard to do with the travel adjust. Secondly you'll risk coil bind. This is when the coil spring slams shut before the fork reaches the bottomout bumpers. Coil bind breaks axles, fork internals and other parts.

The compression adjuster is for low speed compression (when the shim stack isn't open). It has an effect on pedal bob and body movements. It doesn't control bump feel.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    Don't do it.

For a start you'll find it hard to do with the travel adjust. Secondly you'll risk coil bind. This is when the coil spring slams shut before the fork reaches the bottomout bumpers. Coil bind breaks axles, fork internals and other parts.

The compression adjuster is for low speed compression (when the shim stack isn't open). It has an effect on pedal bob and body movements. It doesn't control bump feel.
    Coil bind shouldn't be an issue, because they get 170mm of travel out of the same springs for the Breakout forks. A firm for a Flick or Firefly would be x-firm for a Breakout or a Slider.

I always been under the impression that the compression adjustment is high speed, so that it comes into play depending on the "shaft velocity", for lack of better terms That's why you can bottom out an xfirm in the old parking lot bounce test, but once the trail gets ripping you're not blowing through all your travel instantly on a hard hit.

Either way, TPC rules. Man, I can't wait to get a Travis 150 for my trailbike... Or a new Nixon Elite for that matter... Yey Manitou!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    I always been under the impression that the compression adjustment is high speed, so that it comes into play depending on the "shaft velocity", for lack of better terms That's why you can bottom out an xfirm in the old parking lot bounce test, but once the trail gets ripping you're not blowing through all your travel instantly on a hard hit.
    What you're feeling there is the shim stack damper working. The compression adjuster controls the oil flow around the shim stacks. It has no real effect unless the shims are closed. At high damper speeds it is an insignificant proportion of oil flow.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

Members who have read this thread: 0