Pike Ultimate or MRP Ribbon or...- Mtbr.com
    Live Free & Ride

Pike Ultimate or MRP Ribbon or...

I need help choosing a 140mm fork for my new Fuel EX build. I would really like to find a Mattoc Pro, but no luck there. My next choice would be the Ribbon, but not sure about that either. My last choice is the new Pike, but reports are all over the place or few and far between. I ride aggressive Northeast rock and roots with some DH thrown in here and there. Would just like a good reliable fork that is easy to service. Thoughts?
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    I need help choosing a 140mm fork for my new Fuel EX build. I would really like to find a Mattoc Pro, but no luck there. My next choice would be the Ribbon, but not sure about that either. My last choice the new Pike, but reports are all over the place or few and far between. I ride aggressive Northeast rock and roots with some DH thrown in here and there. Would just like a good reliable fork that is easy to service. Thoughts?
    Wow, I'm glad you started this thread. I am currently looking at GG Shred Dogg and the two forks I am debating over in my build are the Pike Ultimate and MRP Ribbon. I have always gotten along very well with the Pike and thought that with the new Charger damper and SKF seals its got to be pretty good. All the Pikes I have owned I put the SKF seals in for the extra suppleness. I thought I had my mind up until I started to read about the MRP Ribbon. The Ribbon now has me thinking I need to try it out. The fact that you can internally change height without buying extra parts, the separate air chambers, the MRP ramp control.......seems like a killer fork.

The only thing that is stopping me is I have had Pikes for so long I know how to service them and have all the tools to do so.......tough decision.

Check out the MRP Thread in this forum.....11 pages of positive posts and more specifically the VP of Business Development is always on helping with questions and issues. Love to see that a company monitors these forums.....we are the most passionate customers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ride aggressive Northeast rock and roots with some DH thrown in here and there. Would just like a good reliable fork that is easy to service. Thoughts?
    I am a Upstate NY'er and ride NE as well......

mtbr member
    Have you considered DVO?
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

dirt surfer
    May 2015
    I had the MRP Ribbon Coil 160 on my Mach 5.5 & Mach 6 and it was awesome! Sweet for aggressive riding and the coil helped eliminate the brake dive, g out fade, and ride higher in its travel. Have the Pike Ultimate 140 on my Rascal and considering dropping the travel on the Ribbon to replace it. From the forums, sounds like the Push HC97 helps improve the feel of the Pike, but think the Ribbon is where itís at for me. Colorado based company, building suspension for my backyard, and the best customer service out there!!

dirt surfer
    May 2015
    deleted

Braaap
    MRP for myself! I've spent over a year on both the Ribbon Coil and Ribbon Air, currently setup with a 170mm Ribbon Coil that plows. Sub 150mm travel I much prefer the Ribbon Air for increased progression and pop. Both forks have significantly more support than others without cranking in the compression. I run both forks with only 1 or 2 clicks of LSC, the HSC tuning is spot on for all the sharp hits we have out west.

Oh, we also have some cosmetic blemish Ribbon for sale at a steal!
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2519243/
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

Keep on Rockin...
    Both a Ribbon Coil and a new Lyric Ultimate have lived on the front of my 150mm AM bike.

A 130mm new Pike lives on my trail/XC bike.

All are very good forks. None are perfect. All feel somewhat different. Which one to get? Depends on what you are looking for.

They each have their ups and downs.

mtbr member
    I need help choosing a 140mm fork for my new Fuel EX build. I would really like to find a Mattoc Pro, but no luck there. My next choice would be the Ribbon, but not sure about that either. My last choice is the new Pike, but reports are all over the place or few and far between. I ride aggressive Northeast rock and roots with some DH thrown in here and there. Would just like a good reliable fork that is easy to service. Thoughts?
    Why can't you find a Mattoc Pro?
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    the Pro 29 and 29+ in 120 and up travel are nowhere to be found here in the States.
    ( this is why I pm'd you a few weeks back)
    And Manitou/ Hayes here isn't giving much details.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm not a fan of either of those forks, but between the two, I'd take the Pike.

My experience with the Ribbon was pretty poor, I found it to be sticky and harsh, most of the people I ride with that have tried it found the same thing despite multiple setup attempts. I found my experiences align closest with the BikeRadar review on the Ribbon, despite my running it for several months with a multitude of setups. My observation is that the people who get the best feel out of it and like it are lighter and on less aggressive geo bikes, where the front isn't slacked out beyond ~67 degrees. What I experienced with mine was symptomatic of bushing friction, but despite sending it back, it was never as smooth as the other forks I'd tried. Most folks I know that ran them are now on something else and finding it an improvement.

If you are set on running 140, I'd probably choose a DVO Sapphire 34 over either, though. I went from a Ribbon to the Sapphire and the increase in traction, control, and smoothness of the fork was dramatic. You can also fully rebuild/service it yourself and it provides more adjustments.

In that same travel range, I also had really good experiences with the SR Suntour Auron RC2 PCS. I found it somewhat similar to the Sapphire, albeit a bit smoother, but with fewer adjustment options.

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    the Pro 29 and 29+ in 120 and up travel are nowhere to be found here in the States.
    29"+ 120mm Pro is ready to go...not certain about standard 29" but I can look into it for you.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Right. Mattoc 27+/29" 120mm is still a current fork and they go to 140mm by removing spacers. Available in Pro and Comp level.

191-35527-A002 is the Comp, MSRP is $US580
    191-33675-A002 is the Pro, MSRP is $US950

The 29+ only goes to 120mm travel. One of the order sheets says 140mm, but I believe that's a typo (in case any shop sees it and gets excited).

The killer however is the 29" Mezzer is lighter than these forks. So if you want the Pro level fork it may be worth just getting a Mezzer and setting it at 140mm.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Right. Mattoc 27+/29" 120mm is still a current fork and they go to 140mm by removing spacers. Available in Pro and Comp level.

191-35527-A002 is the Comp, MSRP is $US580
    191-33675-A002 is the Pro, MSRP is $US950

The 29+ only goes to 120mm travel. One of the order sheets says 140mm, but I believe that's a typo (in case any shop sees it and gets excited).

The killer however is the 29" Mezzer is lighter than these forks. So if you want the Pro level fork it may be worth just getting a Mezzer and setting it at 140mm.
    Do you know if the Mezzer will fit a 29+ tire like a Bontrager XR2 29 x 3.0?

Interesting on the 29+ mattoc....Hayes told me it would go to 140....hmmmm

And the 29 120 Pro is not in stock with distributors in the US...looks the same in Europe too ( by looking at a few mail order sites.

mtbr member
    Do you know if the Mezzer will fit a 29+ tire like a Bontrager XR2 29 x 3.0?

Interesting on the 29+ mattoc....Hayes told me it would go to 140....hmmmm

And the 29 120 Pro is not in stock with distributors in the US...looks the same in Europe too ( by looking at a few mail order sites.
    Mezzer is officially 2.8" max. But there will be a tyre OD measurement as well as manufacturers widths are only a rough guide. Manitou run about 1/4" clearance at listed max sizes.

I can ask next week about stock for you.
    www.dougal.co.nz

C-H
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    MRP Ribbon!
    No contest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I have the pike on my fuel ex and itís amazing !! Loads of traction really rides high in its travel with great support , very confidence inspiring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live Free & Ride
    Alot to ponder here. I am familiar with Manitou and like the ease of service I am able to perform. I do think the new Mezzer would be a bit overkill for the Fuel EX....I am looking more for a 34-35mm tubed fork for all around trail riding with some occasional DH. Light, with decent small bump and mid stroke, but most of all reliable. I know all these new forks are top in class and all work really well. It's going to be close with the Ribbon and Pike, unless I can find a Mattoc Pro 140. Thnx!
    Last edited by NH Mtbiker; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:59 PM.
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

Live Free & Ride
    Well, the Manitou site only offers the 27.5 version in 160mm. No other websites I've looked at have the specific fork I want....the Pro 140mm 29er boost version...nowhere! You would think that a mid travel 29er fork would be the one to have the most of in circulation for resellers, but not from what I am seeing. I am happy paying up for the 2020 model when it's released, but I can't even seem to find a 19 out there anywhere. Must be a damn good fork if they're already gone?!
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well, the Manitou site only offers the 27.5 version in 160mm. No other websites I've looked at have the specific fork I want....the Pro 140mm 29er boost version...nowhere! You would think that a mid travel 29er fork would be the one to have the most of in circulation for resellers, but not from what I am seeing. I am happy paying up for the 2020 model when it's released, but I can't even seem to find a 19 out there anywhere. Must be a damn good fork if they're already gone?!
    You want the Mattoc Pro 27.5+/29 120.
    You pull the legs and remove the air spring and remove 2 spacers to get 140 travel.
    While you're in there, lube the seals and IRT.
    https://shop.hayesperformance.com/co...10645560950820

Manitou's pages are funked up.
    You might want to call them...they may or may not have 140s on the shelf. But good luck talking to someone with a clue.

mtbr member
    Pike damper tune sucks for my riding style, super rocky, super rooty and flowy stuff. The Charger damper for me just doesn't work well. Either too much damping or not enough and almost always harsh when really crushing it.

I'd go MRP Ribbon Air/Coil. Great damper ride quality, easy enough to service, great support (Noah is all over here). Word on the street is 29" 170 travel is coming.

I have a 29 170 Lyrik Ultimate and the LSC/HSC is basically non-existent.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Pike damper tune sucks for my riding style, super rocky, super rooty and flowy stuff. The Charger damper for me just doesn't work well. Either too much damping or not enough and almost always harsh when really crushing it.

I'd go MRP Ribbon Air/Coil. Great damper ride quality, easy enough to service, great support (Noah is all over here). Word on the street is 29" 170 travel is coming.

I have a 29 170 Lyrik Ultimate and the LSC/HSC is basically non-existent.

mk
    Doesn't the Ribbon have an orifice damper? How does that give great ride quality on rocky/rooty trails?
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Doesn't the Ribbon have an orifice damper? How does that give great ride quality on rocky/rooty trails?
    It doesn't. I found it really harsh on the chunky stuff we have here in comparison to other forks I've tried. It stood up to it's travel well, but failed to track well over chunky, small bumps in comparison to the others I used around the same time.

For trails that are smooth with big hits scattered throughout, I think it does fine, but anything with chunder or chunk and it's uncomfortable and doesn't track as well.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    No, it doesn't. Rebound is shimmed and compression is sprung.

We are based in Grand Junction, CO. Almost all we have are rocky trails.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    It doesn't. I found it really harsh on the chunky stuff we have here in comparison to other forks I've tried. It stood up to it's travel well, but failed to track well over chunky, small bumps in comparison to the others I used around the same time.

For trails that are smooth with big hits scattered throughout, I think it does fine, but anything with chunder or chunk and it's uncomfortable and doesn't track as well.
    Did you get your fork new or used?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post

Mine was a bit harsh until I sped up the rebound a bit. It's quite smooth over very chunky PNW terrain.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Ribbon is really good. I need the new bushings and internals on my fork to make it even better though. The air spring on RockShox 35mm chassis stuff is really good right now, it's the damper I can't live with for my riding style.

Most advanced riders who get on a Ribbon are very impressed with the ride quality and adjustments, especially the ramp control on coil.

The Ribbon ain't perfect but the ability to change the feel for all the different riders, speeds and terrain we have around here makes it stand out.

And yeah, MRPs local trail is all square-edge stuff. Between Noah and Prinster, we get amazing support as well.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

Live Free & Ride
    Changed course on this. Ended up with a great deal on a 19 Fox Factory 34 - 140mm. Hope I made the right choice. Any set-up tips for a 170 rider on this fork?
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r