Pike trouble. Help!- Mtbr.com
    Big Mac

New question here. Pike trouble. Help!

So, here's the deal. About a week ago I noticed my Pike making a strange click.It seemed to be coming from the right leg and I could feel it,as well as, hear it. So, Sat. night I left the bike stored upside down. Sunday morning oil is evrywhere, not sure where it came from, but the click is gone. It seems to ride fine, but the motion control knob is a bit loose. Quite loose actually. Any idea what i've done and how to fix it? Thanks for your help!

Your bike is incorrigible
    Was the motion control knob actually doing something when you last rode it? Is it working now (although I wouldn't ride it in the condition it's in)? Was the gate open or locked out? The one thing I have heard about is that you can damage the seals using the U-turn with the gate locked out. Evidently it puts pressure on the seals and can damage them. Haven't heard of the motion control simply blowing out, though.

Big Mac

Well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Was the motion control knob actually doing something when you last rode it? Is it working now (although I wouldn't ride it in the condition it's in)? Was the gate open or locked out? The one thing I have heard about is that you can damage the seals using the U-turn with the gate locked out. Evidently it puts pressure on the seals and can damage them. Haven't heard of the motion control simply blowing out, though.
    ... I really can't say if the motion control was working or not as I left it alone, because it was so loose. I don't adjust the travel that much and never while locked.

Your bike is incorrigible

this is a bummer

You've got to do the sensible thing and take it into the LBS. If you bought it from the LBS, then they should be able to take care of the problem--either fix it in house or send it back and deal with RockShox directly. The reason I'm saying this is that, if you try to work on it yourself, you could invalidate the warranty. If it isn't something covered under warranty, then the shop will have all the right tools and know how to fix it properly. You'll end up with a fully functioning fork for as much as you would have spent on all the parts and tools. Trust me, I've been down that road.

Big Mac

The strangest thing.....

...... is that all seems to be fine and dandy now. Other than the fact that I lost some oil. The fork rides great and everything works. I'am still a little concerned though. I think I have all the tools to pull it apart and have a look and I'am marginally adept at this sort of thing. Perhaps I'll give it a shot.

Still on Training Wheels!
    The Pike is a very easy fork to work on. Just go on the RS web site and download their service PDF file. It has step-by-step instructions on full disassembly and assembly.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

EDR
    Pike coil or Air? Curious.

And yeah, very easy to work on, get the .pdf from SRAM/RS

Big Mac

for your curious nature...

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Pike coil or Air? Curious.

And yeah, very easy to work on, get the .pdf from SRAM/RS
    ... it's a Pike coil. And thanks, I got the pdf from sram. Now I'am just not so sure what I'am looking for!

Members who have read this thread: 0