Pike too much for my bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Pike too much for my bike?

I'm riding an 04 Haro Werx XLT, with the swinger 3-way on the back, and a Black 100mm SPV up front. I'm finding myself really wanting a longer fork again. I had great success a few years back throwing a Z1 on my Rocky Mountain xc hardtail, wondering if I can repeat that success with a Pike on the Haro. I figure I'll use the Pike at 95mm for the climbs, and turn it up to 140ish for the downhill (the bit I enjoy most). Is anyone running a Pike on a bike intended for 4 inch travel? I'm also interested in the Revelation (adjust to 130mm), but don't want to find myself wanting that extra 15mm travel in half a year's time. Is it really important to keep front and rear travel similar? I really like busting downhill with a high front end, especially after grinding uphill for hours. My 100 mm fork is great on the climbs, but holds me back on steep descents. Pike, Revelation? Would either of these be good options for me? Thanks.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkiwi
    I'm riding an 04 Haro Werx XLT, with the swinger 3-way on the back, and a Black 100mm SPV up front. I'm finding myself really wanting a longer fork again. I had great success a few years back throwing a Z1 on my Rocky Mountain xc hardtail, wondering if I can repeat that success with a Pike on the Haro. I figure I'll use the Pike at 95mm for the climbs, and turn it up to 140ish for the downhill (the bit I enjoy most). Is anyone running a Pike on a bike intended for 4 inch travel? I'm also interested in the Revelation (adjust to 130mm), but don't want to find myself wanting that extra 15mm travel in half a year's time. Is it really important to keep front and rear travel similar? I really like busting downhill with a high front end, especially after grinding uphill for hours. My 100 mm fork is great on the climbs, but holds me back on steep descents. Pike, Revelation? Would either of these be good options for me? Thanks.
    I think the revelation would be a better choice for your frame. Those come in Uturn models too so you can adjust the travel on the fly.

Pike is also very good, but would require a new front hub.

AS long as you buy one with Uturn travel adjust, you can't go wrong with either fork.

The Pike feels excellent in 95mm mode.

err, 27.5+
    I have run pike on FS as well as my XC singlespeed. It performs just as well as 95 as it does at 140mm. It may be too much fork at 140, but perfect at 120. Worst case is you don't run it at full travel if you find it effecting the geometry too much. After riding one for about 6 months I don't hesitate to recommend it to friends. Only problem I came across on the fork was that even the x-firm wasn't enough to support drops over 4' with my 230lb on it. So I don't recommend it to healthy clydes like myself for anything more than xc riding.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    hey,
    I have had my Pike for two seasons and it's the best fork, hands down! Others are correct, it feels just as well at 90mm as it does at 140mm... not like other forks that feel locked out with less travel. So if you don't like the geometry at 140mm, ride it lower... it will still feel better that any other similiar fork you buy. Oh, and for the rider above who keeps bottoming it out, mine does 6 foot drops without a problem with firm springs.... the trick is before drops you must turn the compression adjust 3/4 maximum and keep the floodgate adjust at minimal setting.... if it still bottoms, then increase floodgate a bit more. You will find that this makes the fork feel like a freeride machine! The maxel is awesome also---easy and stiff. But you will need a new wheel with 20mm hub.

Members who have read this thread: 0