Pike Dual Air vs Air u Turn- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Pike Dual Air vs Air u Turn

Any recommendations or noticable differences between the Pike dual air and air u turn? Can't decide which one to get.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The major difference is the ability to adjust the travel externally using the flip up adjuster on the u turn model. The dual air is set internally, it comes set at 140mm. The u turn feature adds a small amount of weight to the fork. If you are interested in changing your front end travel while riding, then the u turn is the one to get.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry for hijaking your thread but I also have a question about the Pike Dual Air and the U-Turn since I am considering a 2005 Pike Team Air vs. a 2006 Pike 454 U-Turn.

I have heard that if there is more negative air pressure than positive air pressure, you will start to loose a little travel. How easy is it to adjust the lenght of the travel by putting more negative pressure in the Pike?

Is there a diagram anywhere that show eg. putting 10 psi more negative air pressure sets the length to 125 mm and so on?

I will adjust the travel before I go out for a ride and i will not touch it while I am on out riding so I think the Dual Air would be fine. But it depends on how easy it is to adjust the travel by adding more negative air pressure?

telemarc
    Jan 2005
    I have mine at 125 in the positive and 140 in the negative and it has not affected the travel at all a la 454 Air u-turn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is from the review which MBR did of the Pike Team Air. They say that any extra air in the negative chamber reduced the travel:

And this is taken from DGCs review:

"The manual recommends matching the negative pressure to the positive pressure as a starting point. On this point, Rock Shox seems to be quite accurate: With equal positve and negative pressures, this fork has a very plush ride and is very active over the small stuff. As with most dual air forks, If you choose to run more negative air pressure than positive air pressure, you will start to loose a little travel as the negative pressure begins to pull the lower legs up further onto the stanchion tubes.

Members who have read this thread: 0