Pike coil undersprung...maybe...- Mtbr.com
    EDR

New question here. Do I need more damping or more spring???.

Hey, new Pike Coil 140mm fork with Uturn on my new bike. Have about 7 rides on it now. It seems to soak up small stuff well and on a 2 1/2 ft drop to a slight transition is is very smooth but uses every mm of travel. Today on a different trail I did a 3ft drop (at speed) to a very slight uphill landing. I think it bottomed out pretty good, my buddy even made a comment about the bottom out noise (he was standing at the landing). Now I know that riding technique has a lot to do with landing smoothly but i'm wondering if maybe I need a heavier spring. I'm almost 200lbs with riding gear.

Now heres the real question: Should I be using more compression damping? I have been running it fully open (like today with the jump) or fully damped (locked out basically). Can I and should I set the compression a little more or should this fork not bottom out on a drop like this, even at full open? I'm a little worried that a heavier spring will take away the small bump compliance...

Thanks in advance - JB
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 11-12-2005 at 08:08 PM.

Bodhisattva
    Sounds undersprung and probably is if you're using the stock spring at your weight.

I run quite a bit of compression damping for descending and usually have the large compression knob turned almost 50% with 2 full turns of the floodgate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A 200lb rider should have the heavy spring for the Pike, unless your wheels never leave the ground.

EDR
    Thanks guys....Is my concern of losing small bump compliance with a firmer spring valid? I guess it shouldn't be an issue if i'm bottoming out this fork at my weight. BTW I have made no spring change so I assume its stock. What is stock? Medium? Where do I buy from, Rock shox website or lbs?

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Thanks guys....Is my concern of losing small bump compliance with a firmer spring valid? I guess it shouldn't be an issue if i'm bottoming out this fork at my weight. BTW I have made no spring change so I assume its stock. What is stock? Medium? Where do I buy from, Rock shox website or lbs?
    I'm heavier than you by about 60 pounds and have the x-firm spring in mine. I would say from my experience that any small bump compliance that is lost will be minimal.

Stock seems to be medium, at least in mine it was. Your LBS can order the spring for you, Rockshox doesn't deal directly with the consumer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Pike springs are very simple to change out! It will not affect the small bump compliance either. You should always us some compression when doing drops no matter what the size of the drop.

And doing drops to a trany that is up hill instead of downhill is always going to blow thru the travel. It's worse than landing to flat. The heavy springs from Rockshox are rated for someone 200 to 220 lbs.

mtbr member
    I would get the X-Firm spring. I weigh 195 and it works fine for me with good small bump compliance.

EDR
    Thks guys. I went to the lbs to order a heavy spring but had a change of heart at the last minute. I know that jumping to a slightly uphill landing will really challenge the fork and to date I have not bottomed it out (that I could really tell) on any drops to flat or slight down hill tranny, in fact 3ft fast drops to tranny is very smooth, the fork uses almost all of its travel but the landing is like butter......so.....I think I'll stick with it for a bit. Overall I am very, very happy with this fork. I think using every bit of travel on at least a one or two hits every ride is fine.

BTW I am now using some compression damping on the d/h stuff. I have found that for everything else I mostly like to run the fork at max damping but just one or two turns of the floodgate. This seems to keep in tight for the quick uphill sections but allows quick blow off for the rocky stuff or slight jumps.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's a good thing to use all the forks travel! And if it don't bottom unless your dropping to flat or square landing then you should be fine. The fork is supposed to run thru the travel all the way and ramp up at the end of the travel to prevent bottoming. Not just use 75 % of the travel.

And it's not uncomman to bottom out on a 3 or 4 ft drop to flat every once in a while. You should be fine. Chris...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrailfreak

And it's not uncomman to bottom out on a 3 or 4 ft drop to falt every once in a while. You should be fine.
    Cool...I've only got about 8 rides on it now so I am getting to know it better every week.

I've only ran air forks until now (on my xc bike). Most of my experience is with a Marz Mx 105mm fork and it would never use all its travel. Part of that is the fork and the other part is that I didn't do many drops over 2ft just caus I wasn't comfortable doing that on that bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You'll love the Pike! It's an Awsome fork!!! I had one for a while and loved it but just ended up wanten more travel so I went ahead and put on a 66 and man is it nice fork also!!!

Members who have read this thread: 1