Pike air, Pike coil, Z1 light or Z1 SL- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    252

    Pike air, Pike coil, Z1 light or Z1 SL

    my heckler and i want pluushness and michael bolt-on stiffness.
    ive got an 05 AM1 which is ok but a bit braky-divey.
    the cost difference between all of them isn't much.
    the Z1 light would be a no-brainer if it had TAS travel adjust in UK but it doesnt and i like to run AM1 at about 140mm for HA sweet spot, but the Z1 SL has no ETA which i use a bit for cwmcarn type techy climbs.
    so should i just shut up and get a pike (which?) or put up and get a Z1?

    you decide


    p.s. ive considered other forks but cant do post mount cos my louise FR's are IS only.

  2. #2
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,278
    Quote Originally Posted by aye-aye
    my heckler and i want pluushness and michael bolt-on stiffness.
    ive got an 05 AM1 which is ok but a bit braky-divey.
    the cost difference between all of them isn't much.
    the Z1 light would be a no-brainer if it had TAS travel adjust in UK but it doesnt and i like to run AM1 at about 140mm for HA sweet spot, but the Z1 SL has no ETA which i use a bit for cwmcarn type techy climbs.
    so should i just shut up and get a pike (which?) or put up and get a Z1?

    you decide


    p.s. ive considered other forks but cant do post mount cos my louise FR's are IS only.
    Pike @ 140mm of travel a2c = Z1 @ 130mm a2c. If you sweetspot is at 140 with the AM1, then forget about the pike.

    SL will dive more than the Light.

    _MK

    "The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    252
    yeah i kind of thought the Pike might be a bit short at 520ish a-c.
    i know its not much but i think u can feel the difference.
    i didnt realise the Z1 SL would dive more than the light, any idea why?

  4. #4
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,313
    I don't think you would find the Z1 light to be that different in ride characteristics from your current AM1. If you wanted to, you could buy the light, pull the TAS out of your AM, and put it in the light, and sell the AM with the light's old ETA cart. You would basically just be back to an AM with 20mm dropouts (which is what I have).
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  5. #5
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,463
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I don't think you would find the Z1 light to be that different in ride characteristics from your current AM1. If you wanted to, you could buy the light, pull the TAS out of your AM, and put it in the light, and sell the AM with the light's old ETA cart. You would basically just be back to an AM with 20mm dropouts (which is what I have).
    Funny - I was going to suggest the same thing!
    Nothing to see here.

  6. #6
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,278
    Quote Originally Posted by aye-aye
    yeah i kind of thought the Pike might be a bit short at 520ish a-c.
    i know its not much but i think u can feel the difference.
    i didnt realise the Z1 SL would dive more than the light, any idea why?
    It has to do with the spring. Coil spring is linear, whereas air is non-linear. It has a fairly low spring rage, past the initial point, and it ramps up deep in the stroke. This means that the fork will dive a bit before the spring rate increases enough to support the forward weight shift. The Marzocchi SL system is better than most, in not having a lot of brake dive, plus you can help the behavior with slow speed compression adjustment (or heavier oil).

    In addition, SL is not going to be quite as buttery smooth as the Light, due to additional friction caused by air seals of the doppio system.

    _MK

    "The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Znarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,053
    Hi,
    I currently ride an 05 Z1FR1 in my Heckler.

    I think it is a tad high though. Had a Pike SL before and I think I´ll go back to a Pike again.
    The Z1 is too stiff (spring rate) for me(148lbs). I already bought soft springs(available since 4weeks or so for 2006) but they are not soft enough, fiddling with the oil levels was partially succesful.
    When I do a higher drop to flat, travel usage is perfect. No bottoming, but almost all the travel is used.
    But, when riding on a trail or dh with drops with a good landing I just use 110mm MAX of the 150mm the fork´s got.
    That sucks. Just feels a bit too harsh or too stiff.
    And therefore I´ll go back to a Pike Air uturn or Pike coil uturn with a soft spring.

    I love the Z1 for the look and stiffness(not the stiffness of the coil though ) It just looks so cool on the Heckler.
    But the Pikes uturn is also better for my purposes. Long technical climbs or level singletrack is fun with a 120mm full active Pike =)

    Just need to sell the Z1 and buy a Pike.
    Greetings Znarf

  8. #8
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    You've gotten good fork advice here, but I was wondering about your caliper mount statement. Are you saying you don't want to have to change your Louise to post mount or that it can't be changed to post mount? One of the guys in the shop here changed his Louise FR from an IS to a post by changing part of the caliper body...at least I don't recall it requiring a whole new caliper...but maybe I'm wrong. Yeah, it's not as easy as just changing adapters like many brake manufacturers use.

    BTW I'd go with swapping out the guts that I wanted out of the AM into the Z1 like Tscheezy and SS suggested...then sell the leftover fork.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    252
    cheers for the info on marz air forks mk, coils just seem right to me.
    i can also see that a pike with its lower a-c would be great for singletrack.
    getting Z1 light and installing AM1 TAS would be best of both worlds i think, anyone know if spacers can be fitted to TASless AM1 to drop travel to 130mm / 518 a-c? so that i could put it on my hardtail?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    252
    the UK magura importer reckons that i would have to buy a whole new caliper, i've seen IS to post adapters in the magura catalogue to hop up a rotor size but magura guy reckons its for a bigger IS caliper!
    anyhoo i might have to bite the postmount bullet when Lyrik comes out cos that looks pretty good.

  11. #11
    In exile
    Reputation: loco-gringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    542
    I don't know why you wouldn't just get the Z1 Light. What are the drawbacks? I missed a serious point here somewhere I think.

    edit - I see it doesn't have the TAS in the UK, but I would think you could find it. Why not just put new 20mm lowers on the AM???

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.