Pace RC41 fighter or Pike 454 dual air + new hub?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2004

Pace RC41 fighter or Pike 454 dual air + new hub?

Hi guys, I'm looking for a new fork to replace my Fox Vanilla 125, I'm after more travel (135-150mm) to match my swinger 4-way in th rear. I'm also looking for a fork that is nice and light. I was originally thnking about a Nixon platinum but the reviews I've read have put me off to be honest. I've narrowed it down to the Pace RC41 fighter or a Pike 454 Dual air plus a new 20mm hub, the Pace is just over 3.6lbs (very light for a 150mm fork!) with the Pike being just over 4lbs.

I've ruled out the fox 36 as ist heavier and probably too burly for my needs, I tend to do aggresive xs, all mountain or whatever the crrent buzz word is. I'm also not insterested in the maverick duc32.

Bike is a tomac Eli by the way.

Thanks, Nick.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nick25
    Hi guys, I'm looking for a new fork to replace my Fox Vanilla 125, I'm after more travel (135-150mm) to match my swinger 4-way in th rear. I'm also looking for a fork that is nice and light. I was originally thnking about a Nixon platinum but the reviews I've read have put me off to be honest. I've narrowed it down to the Pace RC41 fighter or a Pike 454 Dual air plus a new 20mm hub, the Pace is just over 3.6lbs (very light for a 150mm fork!) with the Pike being just over 4lbs.

I've ruled out the fox 36 as ist heavier and probably too burly for my needs, I tend to do aggresive xs, all mountain or whatever the crrent buzz word is. I'm also not insterested in the maverick duc32.

Thanks, Nick.
    I have owned the Reba and Pace 41Xcam and i gota say bang fer bucks its the Rockshox.

Although both rode very simalar the adjutabillity of the Rocshox product wins hands down against the gimicky launch control that i found superflous and some times dangerous in its ability to be activated by accident.

Sep 2004
    I believe the 06 pace has launch control 2, whether its any better though, all i know if it offers on the fly adjustment as opposed to the need of using an allen key.

Numerous wiring problems.
    Mar 2004

You trust Pace?

Thanks, Nick.
    Don't get me wrong, but Pace ownership seems to be a bit of a lottery. Get a good 'un and you'll be fine, get a Friday afternoon job and there seems to be a lot ot go wrong with them.

I've just swapped a Pike coil - too heavy but survived nine months of frequent, all conditions Peak and southern Spanish riding unscathed - for a new Pike Air U-Turn. I've ridden Fox Vanillas and Floats before and have a DUC32 as well. The steering precision you get from the 20mm axle is light years ahead of any QR fork I've used and while I'm still getting the pressure right, the Pike Air seems to have a great combination of small bump plushness along with the ability to handle bigger stuff better than, say, the Vanilla, which was very plush but tended to blow through its travel too easily.

I've heard good things about the ride quality of the Paces btw, but I just don't trust them, while my experience with the Pikes, so far, has been very positive. Incidentally, Pace has some 20mm through axle forks on the way, based on the 40s and 41s, which sound like they'll be a great combination of weight and torsional stiffness, but for me the big question mark isn't over their performance when they're working, more how reliable they'd be.

To put the Pike experience in context, I've destroyed two sets of Fox Vanilla fork tubes in consecutive winters, but then I do ride a lot.

Hope that's some help.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Badly Wired Dog
    Don't get me wrong, but Pace ownership seems to be a bit of a lottery. Get a good 'un and you'll be fine, get a Friday afternoon job and there seems to be a lot ot go wrong with them.

I've just swapped a Pike coil - too heavy but survived nine months of frequent, all conditions Peak and southern Spanish riding unscathed - for a new Pike Air U-Turn. I've ridden Fox Vanillas and Floats before and have a DUC32 as well. The steering precision you get from the 20mm axle is light years ahead of any QR fork I've used and while I'm still getting the pressure right, the Pike Air seems to have a great combination of small bump plushness along with the ability to handle bigger stuff better than, say, the Vanilla, which was very plush but tended to blow through its travel too easily.

I've heard good things about the ride quality of the Paces btw, but I just don't trust them, while my experience with the Pikes, so far, has been very positive. Incidentally, Pace has some 20mm through axle forks on the way, based on the 40s and 41s, which sound like they'll be a great combination of weight and torsional stiffness, but for me the big question mark isn't over their performance when they're working, more how reliable they'd be.

To put the Pike experience in context, I've destroyed two sets of Fox Vanilla fork tubes in consecutive winters, but then I do ride a lot.

Hope that's some help.

Got to agree that once you go 20 mm you want want to go back...

But dont get me wrong the pace is one of the smoothest out of the box forks iv seen ...my problem was the launch control nob can be knocked down by a twig or brach on the trail causing the fork to go in to lock down mode when i wasn't ready...imagine that at the start of a downhill section ...scary as hell.

Sep 2004
    I do have 20mm on another bike using a marz fork and it probably it worth me going 20mm on the tomac.

How much in the Uk roughly do bike shops charge to rebuild a wheel and change a fork?

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    I've been reasonably happy with my RC41 (non Fighter) although I don't think it's as supple over the small stuff compared to either my Nixon (Super with TPC) or my partners Reba dual air. As peeps say, the Rockshox are much more adjustable and tunable that the Pace.

Initially I loved the bottomless feel of the Pace during big compressions, but it also seems to limit my ability to launch off stuff

The Pace knock-down is fab btw and more practical than Manitou's IT system.

Incidentally, I've had a few problems with my Nixon but they recently fitted a revised IT assembly which allegedly resolves all the old probs. Time will tell I suppose.

I've also been considering a Pike but the cost of a new wheel or hub and a rebuild has put me off.

Good luck and let us know what you decide upon.
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields

Sep 2004
    Hi Farqui, I've posted this same question on a few bike forums and it seems either the Pace is amazing or "I saw one blow up the other day" stories. I am very tempted to pick the Pace up though.

Will let you know, I can't actually afford anything at the moment so it won't be until after Christmas (need to put some overtime in )

Mar 2004
    Hi Farqui, I've posted this same question on a few bike forums and it seems either the Pace is amazing or "I saw one blow up the other day" stories. I am very tempted to pick the Pace up though.

Will let you know, I can't actually afford anything at the moment so it won't be until after Christmas (need to put some overtime in )
    Genuinely, I think the problem is that their quality control is inconsistent. Some seem very reliable, some don't. I know a couple of people who run 'em and are very happy and equally a few who've had major problems with Pace forks. Hence my earlier post saying that it seemed a bit of a lottery.

I've put two hard Peak rides in on the Pike Air U-Turns now and I'm dead chuffed with them. Ridden back to back with a Talas they felt plusher and way, way more solid.

Good luck with the Paces anyway.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Nick, If you wait a while then you'll prob'ly get a decent bouncer on closeout.

My RC41 is pretty much just a backup for the Nixon and I'm very tempted to let someone else have it 'cos it seems a shame to have it sat around. I also seem to prefer a slightly longer fork on my ride. It's a shame that you're after the longer Fighter version
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields

mtbr member

Thanks, Nick.
    I know a few guys with Pace forks, those beeing RC40 XCAM and RC40 Fighter (steel spring).
    Both had the problem with bushings sliding out of position inside the lower legs, one of them replaced the bushings with Marzocchi's of some kind. He has also tried the Pike Air, and thought well of it, except for the geometry mismatch with his 'Spot (offset too long or something)
    The impression I have got from the guys (who have tried two-digit number of forks) is that the Pace fork is the best they've ever ridden, even though they've had problems with the bushings.
    This is the RC40, which has a steel spring. The air sprung RC41 has a negative spring made of elastomer. Yeah, that's right. Elastomers aren't adjustable, they change spring rate based on temperature, so for this to be optimal you'd have to find the elastomer that fit you AND the temperature for the current ride.
    RS' Dual Air is _the_ best air spring. It's not possible to get the steel spring feeling from any other air spring system.

Hope this helps,
    Torstein
    Norway

Sep 2004
    Hmm to be honest I'm getting more and more confused... lol

Mr Kaizer are you saying go for the pace or not? It sounds like the Pace is hard to set up right? What sort of pump do you need to adjust the Pace forks?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Hmm to be honest I'm getting more and more confused... lol

Mr Kaizer are you saying go for the pace or not? It sounds like the Pace is hard to set up right? What sort of pump do you need to adjust the Pace forks?

Thanks
    What I'm saying is that, IF you choose Pace, go for the RC40 series with coil spring. Remember, the RC40Fighter weighs about the same that the Pike Air, even though it has 10mm more travel.

Personally, I own a Pike Race w/coil, but if I've had the cash, I would definitely tried the RC40Fighter w/20mm axle.

Anyhow, if you go for the RC40F, make sure the bushings are good. I would probably have it fixed from the start.

Both forks are good, just a matter of what you prefer and what goes best with your frame. The long offset on the Pike can feel weird on some frames. On my Medium Uzzi SLX it's quite sweet though.

Sep 2004
    Ideally I'm looking for an air fork.

Sep 2004
    Ideally I'm looking for an air fork.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    I seem to recall that all recent Pace forks come with different bushes and a different lube, resolving the old issues.

Nick, a standard shock pump is used on Pace's.
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

Sep 2004
    Excellent thanks Farqui

Sorry for the double post.

Aug 2004
    Have to say go Pike on this one, although I haven't had a pike I have had RC41XCAM and have a RS revelation. Damping is way better on the RS fork, and I bought it from TFtuned, who probably knows more about RS than anyone else in the UK. Add to that the fact that PUSH will have mods for the PIKE soon to make it even better, from what I hear, and it's a no brainer. Read DGC's Pike air 454 dual air u turn poploc review on www.enduroforkseals.com. Only issue for me is that RS have the longest fork names in the world now, making them a pain to type!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    PUSH will have mods for the PIKE
    Ooh, has that nifty speed-sensitive return mod been released yet?

Sep 2004
    Hmm maybe I will go with a Pike, deary me one minute I'm this next I'm that its just that I can get a flagship pike plus a 20mm hope bulb hub for less than a Pace.

Is the poploc version worth the extra £30 or so on the 454 dual air Pike?

Mar 2004
    Is the poploc version worth the extra £30 or so on the 454 dual air Pike?
    It's neat and kind of handy. Depends how often you use the lock-out really. I use it more than I thought I would. You can always disable it if you don't like it, but it costs considerably more to retrofit it, so unless you're sure you don't want it, I'd say what the hell and get one. Good on roads and much easier to reach on that gnarly descent when it slowly dawns on you that the fork is locked out.

Sep 2004
    It's neat and kind of handy. Depends how often you use the lock-out really. I use it more than I thought I would. You can always disable it if you don't like it, but it costs considerably more to retrofit it, so unless you're sure you don't want it, I'd say what the hell and get one. Good on roads and much easier to reach on that gnarly descent when it slowly dawns on you that the fork is locked out.
    I think I would use it quite a bit so I'll go for it that one. Shame about the colour of the fork - grey, meh..

Do you think I'm making the right decision by going with the pike dual air?

Mar 2004
    I think I would use it quite a bit so I'll go for it that one. Shame about the colour of the fork - grey, meh..

Do you think I'm making the right decision by going with the pike dual air?
    It's a very good fork, as is the Pace, I don't think you can go wrong really.

My Air U-Turn is black btw, a nice matt black sort of colour, so you don't necessarily have to get the grey... That's what I thought as well btw. Rockshox web site and product info is a bit random when it comes to colours, but trust me, the Air is available in black. I use the U-Turn a lot btw, wind it down for climbs and out for downhills and it's dead easy to use on the move.

Sep 2004

My Air U-Turn is black btw, a nice matt black sort of colour, so you don't necessarily have to get the grey... That's what I thought as well btw. Rockshox web site and product info is a bit random when it comes to colours, but trust me, the Air is available in black. I use the U-Turn a lot btw, wind it down for climbs and out for downhills and it's dead easy to use on the move.
    Is the dual air model available in black? Black would be much nicer I believe the u-turn model is heavier than the other? I'm looking at the 454 w/ poploc one which is (supposedly) 4.08lbs.

Sep 2004

Is the dual air model available in black? Black would be much nicer I believe the u-turn model is heavier than the other? I'm looking at the 454 w/ poploc one which is (supposedly) 4.08lbs.

mtbr member
    It seems to me that you have made up your mind, so go for it!

Anyhow, before you install the Maxle, have some grease on the whole thing (except for on the handle, of course), you don't want to have galvanic corrosion between the lower legs and the maxle like a friend of mine had.

The Pike is an awesome fork. I hope it fits well. What frame are you using?

/T

Sep 2004
    Yeah I think the sensible choice would be to go with the Pike, more and more forks seem to be moving over to 20mm through axle so I would have probably needed one sooner or later.

Frame is a Tomac Eli with a manitou swinger 4-way (air) in the back.

Won't be buying the fork and hub until January though.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Eli and big fork a no-no?

Yeah I think the sensible choice would be to go with the Pike, more and more forks seem to be moving over to 20mm through axle so I would have probably needed one sooner or later.

Frame is a Tomac Eli with a manitou swinger 4-way (air) in the back.

Won't be buying the fork and hub until January though.
    Maybe you don't want to put a bigger fork on the Eli than you already have. This guy's Eli failed at the upper weld, with a subsequent frame failure. He hadn't been abusing the frame at all. Nothing else broke.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Maybe you don't want to put a bigger fork on the Eli than you already have. This guy's Eli failed at the upper weld, with a subsequent frame failure. He hadn't been abusing the frame at all. Nothing else broke.

Hmm well that's not very confidence inspiring but is that a vanilla 130 on there? Also I thought the bike was designed for something like the Pike upfront? Is this just a one off with the Eli/?

Sep 2004

Thats scary as hell

Hmm well that's not very confidence inspiring but is that a vanilla 130 on there? Also I thought the bike was designed for something like the Pike upfront? Is this just a one off with the Eli/?
    Thats scary as hell!!

Sep 2004
    Well I think I'm still gonna go with the Pike. I'm sure that frame broke becuase of a defect not because he was running longer travel forks (which I think were only 130mm by the pic).

Members who have read this thread: 0