Overstroked SB130LR tuning- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Overstroked SB130LR tuning

I just acquired a used sb130lr. When I got it I ran the fork code thru Fox's website and it came back as a 170mm Grip2. The LR comes stock with a 160mm. So I'm 10mm over the base model. On the Yeti website they have a full tuning guide for HSC, LSC, etc...

Q1- should I use the same numbers for the 170 fork? Would stroke even effect this?

Q2- since I'm mostly a trail rider, I'll likely put in a 150mm airshaft and reserve the 170 for when I head up to Tahoe and the bike park. Same Question. Should I stick to the yeti specs for my baseline?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrkrft69 View Post
    I just acquired a used sb130lr. When I got it I ran the fork code thru Fox's website and it came back as a 170mm Grip2. The LR comes stock with a 160mm. So I'm 10mm over the base model. On the Yeti website they have a full tuning guide for HSC, LSC, etc...

Q1- should I use the same numbers for the 170 fork? Would stroke even effect this?

Q2- since I'm mostly a trail rider, I'll likely put in a 150mm airshaft and reserve the 170 for when I head up to Tahoe and the bike park. Same Question. Should I stick to the yeti specs for my baseline?

For me, stroke has a slight effect on fork tuning. It mostly comes into play with air spring chamber volume and how progressive longer stroke forks are vs short travel forks. For example, I run 3 volume spacers on my 130mm fox 34 and only 1 on my 160mm fox 36. That has to due with the fact that the longer travel fork, is compressing the static air spring volume more due to, you guessed it, higher initial volume and more piston movement from sag to full bottom out.

Regarding q2. I find the yeti settings very light on both compression and rebound. They worked ok for me on terrain that wasn't as steep as my local stuff but was chunky. Still though, I found that I preferred a moderate more amount of LSC and rebound damping then Yeti's tune calculator suggests. HSC was pretty spot on. Either way, good starting point depending on your terrain, just keep in mind you may need more support from the damper and a tamer rebound setting to start with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Have you checked the fork hasn't had the travel changed with a shorter air spring?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Have you checked the fork hasn't had the travel changed with a shorter air spring?
    Wondering about that. Right after I got it I left the country so I'll look deeper into that when I get back. But before I left I let all the air out, compressed it completely and measured it. There was a small amount of pressure left that I had to push against to fully compress it. Not sure what that means. But pressurized it's 170.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrkrft69 View Post
    Wondering about that. Right after I got it I left the country so I'll look deeper into that when I get back. But before I left I let all the air out, compressed it completely and measured it. There was a small amount of pressure left that I had to push against to fully compress it. Not sure what that means. But pressurized it's 170.

the grip2/evol generation fox 36 (certain about these, this likely applies to all fox 36's) will show more stanchion then the travel they have. For example, my 160mm 36 grip 2 shows about 165mm from crown to top of dust wiper. bottom out, places the o-ring about 5-7mm from the crown.