Oil out of the shock on Fox Vanilla- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hope Oil out of the shock on Fox Vanilla

Pardon my phrases and ways of naming stuff as I'm a dirtbiker and new to mtbing.I recently bought a 2003 Santa Cruz Bullet with what I believe is a Fox Vanilla RC. I love the bike and have been pounding on her for the past month or so. In an atempt to set my sag (a dirt biking term and I'm not sure if it applies to mountain bikes) I let all the oil escape from my shock.

I did what a friend told me that if I went off a curb and if the suspension bounced more the once, I had too much sag. I tried it and I had too much. So, when I was screwing the slider, I realized it was easier if I just turned the spring. I was not paying too much attention and I soon had oil leaking out of where the shock enters the mounting spot. In a sudden panic I started screwing it the opposite direction to get it sealed again. At first turning the spring worked fine, but soon the shock got loose enough out of the canister to let the oil come out. By the time I got the thing sealed again it seemed as if a great deal of oil had escaped.

Now, of course the shock is too soft to even ride the bike without bob. No wonder because nearly all of my oil escaped. I was wondering if I could add oil myself without taking my bike to the shop as my shop is an hours drive away? How do I do it? How much oil do I add? Will I need any specific tools? What oil and oil weight is the best for my weight at about 130? Thank-you so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Dirtriding4life; 11-16-2005 at 08:55 PM. Reason: I'm stupid

Jun 2003

Look, you sound confused.

First, the spring preload sets the sag. Here is a spring rats calculator to check out the spring rate.
    http://www.mojo.co.uk/springs-calc.shtml This will get you in the ballpark.

As far as the oil goes, if it spewed by you just turing the spring, there is a problem. It may be time for a rebuild. Check out www.pushindustries.com for that info, I HIGHLY reccommend the full race setup from PUSH for that shock on a single pivot frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The oil came out of the shock, but not from just turning the spring. While I was turning the spring and not paying too much attention, I soon started unscrewing the shock. I just didn't notice that instead of turning the spring I was turning the entire shock. Just a simple mistake. I just need to know how to get oil back in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

You can't just put oil back in, I am assuming that...

we are talking about a rear shock here correct? Fox uses a high pressure nitrogen charge in the damping system of their rear shocks. This charge prevents the oil from foaming and cavitating during compression and rebound. Buy "unscrewing" the shock body to the point that it leaked oil, you have certainly lost most of the nitrogen charge as well as the oil. The shock IS NOT user service able. You should either send it to Fox for service and recharge or send it to push industries for the same service. The advantage of sending it to push is the custom valving that they will do to the shock, and the fact that you get a one year warranty as if the shock was new. I would HIGHLY recommend sending it in and getting it fixed, and then finding a manual from fox for your shock and reading up on it. Your friend was incorrect. You probably didn't have too much sag, but not enough rebound damping. You should have turned up the rebound damping a couple of three clicks and tried the test again! Anyway, get it in and get it fixed.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for your help even though it is very disapointing. I guess I'm going to have to send it in then. Is it really worth it to get the Factory Race System? I'd rather just go with the $95 system, but if I will notice results I'm going to go with the FRS. Plus I'd imagine since I'm only 130 pounds, less aggressive valving should do me some good. Thanks again for your help.

Jun 2003

By all means.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtriding4life
    Thanks for your help even though it is very disapointing. I guess I'm going to have to send it in then. Is it really worth it to get the Factory Race System? I'd rather just go with the $95 system, but if I will notice results I'm going to go with the FRS. Plus I'd imagine since I'm only 130 pounds, less aggressive valving should do me some good. Thanks again for your help.
    Spend the extra money. PUSH will tune the shock to your weight, frame type, and riding style. It will also give you a "platform" as far as the pedaling goes. Worth EVERY penny.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Spend the extra money. PUSH will tune the shock to your weight, frame type, and riding style. It will also give you a "platform" as far as the pedaling goes. Worth EVERY penny.
    Thanks for the advise. Today I sent in my shock, but won't be home for a week to try it out. I'm looking foward to it though. Thanks for your help!

Members who have read this thread: 0